PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

dabrowat
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
So how do the two compare, comfort, gas mileage, for lighthauling. What are your opinions on the two?

Kickstarts-suck
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
from another website

"I posted this the other day on a Toyota board. Today I test drove the 2005 Tundra, Tacoma, Titan and Frontier. My conclusion is all the way at the bottom with an update:

Well needless to say I am one of many who is in a similar position. I owned a 01 Frontier for 1.5 years before selling it for $500 less than I bought it for, so my resale value experience with Nissan is a good one thus far. I really like the Titan, but the size, mpg, and fact it's a brand new model not just a refresh/redesign is turning me off a bit. I've been researching the new Tacoma and Frontier for MONTHS now, and test driven both a few times, and these are the pros and cons and conclusion I have reached.

Exterior: The Tacoma exterior is somewhat appealing, I like the high tough stance, although it looks over plasticy, and depending on the color it doesnt have the nicest lines... looks like too much going on desgin wise. The Frontier is a VERY nice looking truck, very tough looking , great lines, and I like the fact it is available with Front Chrome bumper which Tacoma doesnt offer. IMHO, the Frontier looks more like a truck and less like a plastic toy. EDGE = Frontier

Bed: Both have the track systems, but I like the Spray in Bed liner MUCH better than the composite as it just felt cheap and I already read a story of it cracking on this board. Bed sizes are similar since I want Crew Cab S/B in either. EDGE = Frontier

Interior: Build Quality goes to the Tacoma on this one, but the Nissan is not bad at all. Just a different design. Tacoma went with a more Upscale/Silver/Modern looking center console which I liked. The Nissan Dash/Console is definitely not as modern looking, but is simple and looks nice. My major gripe with the Taco dash is the fact adding the Double Din Nav system im going to buy would be a major PAIN. The Frontier setup will make it easy as it looks to be an easy swap. The Taco sport seats were very comfortable, as were the back seats. The Frontier was fine as well, but the back seats werent as comfy. The rear window in the Tacoma was also much smaller limiting visibility. The BIG difference for me in this category is the options the 05 Frontier has and the Taco doesnt. Moonroof, Leahter / Heated/ Power Seats are all things I want and the Taco just doesnt offer them. In fact the Taco didnt even offer manual height adjustment which the Frontier does! This may end up being a major deal killer of all things. EDGE = Frontier.

Test Drive: The Tacoma had a very smooth car like ride, the bumps absorbed well, and the engine felt pretty smooth with adequate power although I felt like I had to push it down quite a bit to get some pickup. The engine also seemed to rev pretty loud. In comparison the Frontier felt downright quicker, more powerful, and much quieter. The ride was smooth, but the Tacoma did feel SLIGHTLY smoother over bumps. Not to dwell on the seat height adjustment again, but it came into play on the Tacoma because Im 5'7 and I felt it difficult to see well over the hood (without scoop). In the Frontier I could see and height adjustment helped more. EDGE = Frontier.

Price/Value: I'm looking at fully loaded Double/Crew Cabs 4x4 and after all is said and done, prices will be close to the same after the discounts I have worked out, but I'm getting Sunroof, Bed Extender, Leahter/Power/Heated seats, Heated Mirrors, Satellite Radio in a Frontier for even a little cheaper still than a fully loaded 4x4 DC Tacoma. Which I might add, I cant even get the Side Airbag option in my region unless I do a 2-3 month pre-order as someone else mentioned. I can get a Frontier with everything as soon as this Friday at my local dealer. EDGE = Frontier.

Resale Value: Toyota and the Tacoma is well know for it's resale value, but I had a great experience with my 01 Frontier buying and selling it too. While I dont see anyone losing their shirt on the Frontier, the Tacoma is the hands down winner. EDGE = Tacoma.

Reliability: Toyota again a hands down winner, but I wouldnt say Nissan is anything to scoff at. No problems with my old Fronty and Nissan makes a decent car. EDGE Tacoma.

OVERALL: After testing the Tundra, Titan, Tacoma, and Frontier again I am going to purchase an 05 Frontier this week. To me it was the hands down winner for me. Another note between the 05 Tacoma and Frontier, the Tacoma was REALLY loud compared to the Frontier. Engine revved loud and there was quite a bit of wind noise too. The Frontier impressed me by feeling more powerful and quieter. To top it off, with all of the extra options I get with the Frontier over the Tacoma for less money its a no brianer for me! However, to each their own! Good Luck!"

dabrowat
02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the great reply. I leaning towards the frontier too. Thanks again.

54warrior
02-26-2008, 05:11 AM
I've never owned a Toyota, but have proudly owned a Titan for 3+ years now. Nissan has treated me great. Great truck, great service, etc.

I do think that if you don't plan on keeping the truck till the wheels fall off, you'll def. get more on trade/sell of a 'yota than a Nissan.

JJs450r
02-26-2008, 06:24 AM
the newer tacoma is bigger then the frontier has more space, i like the overall drive of the frontier though, and yes titans are nice wouldnt mine havin one myself

ZeroLogic
02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
I have a 98 Frontier and I love it. 4wd manual little four banger but it goes everywhere. I love it havn't had any rear big problems that wasn't my fault. :ermm: Strong running motor.:macho

Rip_Tear
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I've been in the same situation but I decided on the Frontier a couple days ago depending on getting an 05 or newer, it's basically coming down to price and what I can find.

Seriously I don't think you can go wrong with either, it's really the personal preference between the two.

tat2dguy01
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
i like my taco

hungus07trx400
02-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I've got an 04 Frontier, 6 cylinder 5 speed manual that I bought brand new. It was fun in the beginning, and I can fit my quad in the back pretty easily, but now I've got a lot more stuff to haul around and need something bigger. It's got 70k on it now and its running well but I'm gonna sell it soon and get a used chevy 2500. My father's 99 silverado 1500 has 208k miles on it....I doubt I could get the frontier to make it that long

450raider
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
well a friend had a 05 frontier and i liked it alot i think that as for midsized trucks you cant beat a frontier for what all you get for the price vs the others, the toyotas to me have always looked to plastic-ish although that mazda raider thing might be worth a look at but as for me im thinkin about trading the f150 in on something and those titans have caught my eye the only thing that sucks about it is in the 150 i feel so..... patriotic, and no i wouldnt want a chevy :D dodge maybe.

boosted3g
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I ran my 88 toyota pickup to 476k miles, my 99 tacoma to 194, and not my Tundra im piling on the miles and i have never had a single problem with any of them. Just regular oil changes and an exhaust on the 88 thats it. Both trucks are light years above the competition but the toyota is in a class all by itself. Thats the reason you see so many of them on the read and not so many frontiers. I dont like the new tacoma as much as the older style but it does have excellent power. Mine had a 3.4 and it was enough but its not nearly as potent as the 4.0. The dash on the new ones are a little too busy for me compared to the old ones.

Sportrax10
02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Cant tell you much about a Nissan, but I love my 97 Tacoma... :macho