PDA

View Full Version : My yfz is still smokeing & leaking now......PLEASE HELP

yfzrider45
02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Alright, it was smoking before and leakin a little bit of oil and it all gathers on my motor is a certain spot.....I see a huge glop of it come out and burn, but the oil that comes out of the bottom makes a puddle....I put a new gasket on and it still smokes and looks like it leaks more too......If someone can help i'd REALLY APPRECIATE IT.....

HERE"S A PICTURE TO GET AND IDEA.....

02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
can you take a photo of the front of the motor if you can and post it??

yfzrider45
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I cant get direct front , my radiators in the way, but heres another pics from the other side if it helps.........????

WOLFPACK
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
We need more info to be able to help you.

Give us a call tomorrow and we'll see if we can figure it out for you.

Shane
(219)313-1424

02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
the aftermarket plug you have in the head should be flush,loosen the bolt and push it in more. from the photo i will bet it is coming from there.

WOLFPACK
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Good eye! I think your right.

He mentioned smoking though. Is it coming from the exhaust or up front?

yfzrider45
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
My decompression plug has been pushed in, and it seems it was already as far as it can go (that was a great idea though!!)......The smoking is from the oil coming out of my head,,,...,It comes out and instantly burns on my header,,,,,,but the oil that drips out from the bottom of the header it forms a puddle on my motor, and sometimes streaks down.....(The smoking is from oil burning for sure becasue i can smell it and it stops once i ride it over 10 minutes).....but the oil still drips and i can see a puddle about the size of a penny after riding......

Do you guys think i put my gasket on wrong? (the one that goes on the head and connects to the header)

Ride1Rob
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
If it were your headgasket you'd be leaking antifreeze not oil. It seems to me that either your decomp plug is faulty or your black headcover gasket (where your cams get covered) is the culprit. Those are the only places that I can think of where oil can leak from that high on the motor.

yfzrider45
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
The leak is coming out of the head where the header goes in.....and it seeps between onto the header itself......I just replaced the gasket (by just puttin it in there becasue there wasnt already one it) and it leaks ........Nothing is leaking from anywhere else,,,,its comin from the head connected to the header.......But it still runs fine and will work fine.....i'm clearly stumped also!!!:confused:

Ride1Rob
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
So it's leaking from your header pipe? Well that pretty much says that you're getting blowby from your piston. Is your bike smoking any? Either way, something isn't sealed like it's supposed to be. Yousaid you put another header pipe gasket in? It may not be seated correctly.

yfzrider45
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Alright, how should it be seated.....i just stuck it in there and it fit good, then i put my header in....The manual didnt say anything about oiling/greasing it so i didnt.....And for the decompression plug, The screw that i tighten just keeps on turning and never gets fully tight, it gets snug then lets go then i have to turn it another spin to get snug again (this can go on forever).......

660LE
02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I had the same problem last year.. Did you remove the stud and bolt from your head where the header bolts to? If so take them both back out and remember where you took them from and reverse it. I cant remember which is where but my old yfz did the same thing. And it drove me absolutly crazy, then for some reason i changed them up an it cleared right up. Hope this helps!

ktmbill
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
The threads are striped for the decompression plug & you may have valve seals bad and its leaking oil from your head. Check the plug. If the quad is not smoking out the exhaust they rings are good. More likely the valve seats

yfzrider45
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Its only smoking becasue there's oil buring on my header.....there's not smoke coming from the can in the back....how much are valve seats you think??

WOLFPACK
02-26-2008, 08:49 PM
You should have the head gone through.

We use David's Machine Shop out of Mobile. They are a race shop and know the YFZ well.

Thier number is (251)653-7085

ktmbill
02-27-2008, 05:17 AM
What year is the quad lots of hours? valve seals are cheap may need the head rebuild. valves are big bucks on a YFZ

#17YFZRACER
02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
yeah, buying new valves will make your eyes big and your butt pucker:eek2:

T-BONE#29
02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
hahaha that was sweet

yfzrider45
02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
The quad is an 04, and has many hours on it, but the things starts up GREAT, and is runs VERY strong......I'm now not sure where the oil is coming from:mad: , this is rediculosy confusing!!! there is a lit of oil under the plug .....what i think is happening is its leaking out the plug and falling onto the header making it look like its coming out of the head:confused: Should i still try to start the thing?? i mean it'll run!! and the leak isnt too too bad, its just like a penny size when im done, but most of it burns on the header so i dont no how much really does come out:confused: ......Does anyone know another symptom of the valves needing to be changed???

02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
The quad is an 04, and has many hours on it, but the things starts up GREAT, and is runs VERY strong......I'm now not sure where the oil is coming from:mad: , this is rediculosy confusing!!! there is a lit of oil under the plug .....what i think is happening is its leaking out the plug and falling onto the header making it look like its coming out of the head:confused: Should i still try to start the thing?? i mean it'll run!! and the leak isnt too too bad, its just like a penny size when im done, but most of it burns on the header so i dont no how much really does come out:confused: ......Does anyone know another symptom of the valves needing to be changed???

the plug you mean, spark plug or decomp. plug? where do you live i can look at it and fix it for you...

yfzrider45
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
sorry for not specifying, i was talkin about the decompression plug......I live in middleboro, MA

Its not that anythings like really bad on it its just it leaks and idk where the helll its coming fromm now, i'll start it up later and come to a conclusion and post where it's coming from for sure.....

ktmbill
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Replace the seal remove the plug. The seal is behind the plug pop it out with a screw driver. I think the seal is the same seal as the shift shaft.

02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
i still say that plug is not all the way in. it should be flush with the head. if you want send me your email address and i will send you a picture of my 04 decomp. plug and you will see the differece.

yfzrider45
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah scrimmy, my emails badhalf28@aol.com

OK, i started it up and there is 2 leaks......

One comes from the decompression plug-It just drips very little and it takes like 20 seconds for every drip to come out, that ones not too bad(but no leak is good!!!)

Two comes from the bottom of my header......I cant explain it real well, but if you look at the bottom of the header closely, you can see a wet mark(black) and thats all oil....here's the pic

ktmbill
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Ok take your header off clean your exhust port carb cleaner, take a flash light look in the port and see if you have oil leaking from the valve stems. Take your bolt out of the plug tap the plug in and install the bolt.

yfzrider45
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
OK thank you, i will do this after school tomorrow, and i will post what happens tomaro nite.....If carb cleaner goes in the exhuast wort it wont hurt rite??

ktmbill
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
it will not

yfzrider45
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Alrite here's what i got, The decompression plug pushed in a little more, but that screw that holds it will not tighten!! it will go around and around forever......So in wich wouldnt that loosen the plug?? and by that it leaks out the bottom of the plug and falls on the header and makes smoke......I think if the plug problem is solved everything will be A ok:)

What would i do to fix that....Do i need another new plug, or do i need another screw?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW GUYS.....thanks for the help in advance!!

yfzrider45
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Alright, i took a pic of the inside of the thing without it cleaned yet .....But i'm 95% sure the only problem is the decompression plug!! becasue before i replaced that there was no leak at all.....and by the problem i mean when i push it in and turn the screw to lock it in place the screw just keeps turning around and around.....Do i need a new plug or a new screw or possibly both!!!

and here's the pic of inside the head, I strongly belive if the plug problem is fixed everything wil check A ok!!!!

ktmbill
02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
OK like I said the seal may be bad order a new seal. The bolt is a special bolt the threads in the head may be striped. you may have to re tap it to a 1/4-20 bolt. Take the plug out & seal tap it out install new seal & plug green lock tight the bolt. If you what to you can fill the with pig putty from the hardware store.

ktmbill
02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
OK like I said the seal may be bad order a new seal. The bolt is a special bolt the threads in the head may be striped. you may have to re tap it to a 1/4-20 bolt. Take the plug out & seal tap it out install new seal & plug green lock tight the bolt. If you what to you can fill the with pig putty from the hardware store.
bill 616-813-7838

yfzrider45
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Just to make sure. what should i put the green loc-tite on? the plug or the bolt??

02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
the bolt

yfzrider45
02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Alrite, I'll do that tommorow since i dont have any green loc tite avaliable.......so just put it on the bolt and keep tiwsting until the loc tite works???? cuz it xcan twist forever once its in....or just twist until its in and stop.....

WOLFPACK
02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Friend, the advice given to you was to "re-tap" and use green loctite. People are giving thier time to help you but your not taking the time to fully read it!

yfzrider45
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
oooo, I dont no what you mean by "re-tap" then........I thought taping it just just hitting it in more:grr: , see i dont no too much!!!! My dad will no what it means by to "re-tap" for sure....But he called me today and said he got a high temp loc-tite but its in red container!?! He went to a shop and they said it'll work better becasue its a sealent also....

Oh, and ktm bill, the seal on it is brand new i got it last week.....And for the "re-tapping" i'm gunna have my dad do it bcuz he'll know what that means. Thanks for all the help and if we get stumped while doing it i'll post up what happened.....

yfzrider45
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
ktmbill, I did exactly as you told me to do and it worked!! no more leak, wich also means no more smoke!!:) :) :) , Thank you for all your help!!!

Thanks to the other people who helped me with this problem also!!!:macho