PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 450r shock settings

Lowcountrydave
02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
06 400ex,

Ok so I have grown tired of the stock shocks on the 400. I purchased a set of brand new 07 450r shocks off of Ebay. I'm around 240lbs... How do the bigger guys have their shocks adjusted? Soft? ...... Hard? What about the spring rate? Will the stock 450r shocks be adjustable enough to handle decent jumps at my weight?

So many questions..... Trying to get the best out of my 400!

Thanks Dave

TRFOXX
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I have 450r shocks on my 400ex and Z400 and i weighin at 260 and they work great for me. I do have them set pretty stiff though.

440challenger
02-26-2008, 05:21 AM
I have 450r shocks on my ex, Basically a class motocross ,and lots of recreational rididng. I have my compression and rebound and preload as soft as they can get . They work, but really are screaming for a revalve re spring. 140lbs without gear though.

02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
I have 450r shocks on my ex, Basically a class motocross ,and lots of recreational rididng. I have my compression and rebound and preload as soft as they can get . They work, but really are screaming for a revalve re spring. 140lbs without gear though.

How are the shock for you on those settings. I'm around the same weight and I'm worried they will be stiff on the little stuff. Are they good over whoops and bumps?

440challenger
02-26-2008, 06:56 AM
they are horrible over the little bumps/choppy ground. and then over the big stuff they bottom out pretty bad...heres coming into a corner

Pipeless416
02-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
How are the shock for you on those settings. I'm around the same weight and I'm worried they will be stiff on the little stuff. Are they good over whoops and bumps?

im about 170 and im running +2 arms and even mine are still stiff.. i can say that i have never bottomed out though. its just the small stuff that gets me.

REDRIDDER
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
they are horrible over the little bumps/choppy ground. and then over the big stuff they bottom out pretty bad...heres coming into a corner wow everyone else says their great for big jumps. i have them on my ex and i just bought them a week ago so i have little time on them and im 250lbs and down the snowmobile trail they worked great for me.

Lowcountrydave
02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Seems like the heavier riders like them more. I can't wait to see the ride difference!

Hey 440, what would be your definition of the Big Stuff? Just curious why at your weight you would be bottoming out.

Thanks for all the replys guys

Dave

REDRIDDER
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah i would say that in my observations that the heavier you are the better they will work seeing how a lot of people are saying they are really stiff for trails they often forget to mention that they only weigh 140 lbs to 180lbs.And yes they do seem a bit stiff even for me in some situations but overall for me they offer a 200% better ride and control over the stockers, and their cheap enough so that you don't have to break the bank. Just my opinion, but like i said before I've only ridden on them for about 2hrs on a snow coverd trail.They seem to work fairly well over the moguls too but i have yet to ride on a dirt trail so the snow could be softening up the ride a little, plus i haven't even begun to try out the settings.I have them on stock a-arms and with the preload set the way it is i think that they could be softened up even more yet.well i will post more info on my particular situation soon because alot of us out their are not racers at all but just hard core trail riders like myself and weigh quit a bit more than your average racers do.for the price and availability i will go with the 450r shocks any day of the week rather than pay an arm and a leg for aftermarket shocks although i know that the aftermarkets are better I'm only a trail rider and also if need be in the future i can have them re-valved and re-sprung for less than going aftermarket.Now this just may be my personal preference to the shocks but theirs a lot more people out their like myself wondering the same things.

02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm 145lbs without gear on. i ride mostly all trails and there are a lot of whoops at times. I mean miles of whoops almost non stop. Now stock shocks are manageable but very unforgiving. I am usually in either 2nd or 3rd gear through the trails. I have topped out over the whoops but I was pushing my luck. Will 450r shocks make the ride worse? Or will they soak up the whoops better than the stock shocks? I dont have money for revalve/resprung at the moment and that will be later in the future so I will have to ride them as is for quite some time. I hear they are rough over little stuff... like little roots or crossing ruts?

02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm 145lbs without gear on. i ride mostly all trails and there are a lot of whoops at times. I mean miles of whoops almost non stop. Now stock shocks are manageable but very unforgiving. I am usually in either 2nd or 3rd gear through the trails. I have topped out over the whoops but I was pushing my luck. Will 450r shocks make the ride worse? Or will they soak up the whoops better than the stock shocks? I dont have money for revalve/resprung at the moment and that will be later in the future so I will have to ride them as is for quite some time. I hear they are rough over little stuff... like little roots or crossing ruts?

Ruby Soho
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
i just put some on my ex

i havent ridden them yet but ill let you know foxhondarider

02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i just put some on my ex

i havent ridden them yet but ill let you know foxhondarider

alright thanks

440challenger
02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Big stuff, hmm well not too big. Just like 60 footers and stuff. the problem is i have them so soft so they are sort of plush on the whoops small stuff that they bottom easy. I have them all soft and my front end is still very hard to push down.

Lowcountrydave
02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Nice pic 440!

Thats approaching my comfort level, haha. Would you say the adjustment with the collar nuts are at the end closest to the top of shock by, so the spring is at its softest along with the other adjustment on S for soft rebound?

Look forward to hearing how they feel RED, Ruby.

I really think they are gonna be a great improvement. I'm gonna experiment with them..... run them the softest and rebound the softest..... then the stiffest and fastest rebound...... then the middle.... will see!

Dave

wcbomb
03-01-2008, 08:22 PM
just installed mine last night, they are 05's, ride was alot better at slower speeds than I had expected,after reading the feedback on here. Although I'm 270 lbs. Could not get a good feel for them with all of the mud that is here due to the ground thawing out. could not get any air to test the landing, tire's just spin approaching the ramp [ no speed]. Did do some woods riding and it soaked up the downed trees and rocks really well. very satisfied with the '' R " shocks, needs to dry out out a little to get them dial in.http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/trowlett/IMG_0222.jpg/

Ruby Soho
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
well guys i rode on the 450 shocks today

they ride SO much better than the stock 400ex shocks. i have yet to come even close to bottoming them, and they soak up just about everything. i dont know what people are talking about when they say they make the ride rough for trails but mine is fine, all settings are on the softest they can go.

i recommend them to ANYONE who needs a good upgrade!

p.s i way like 145lbs.. and there still good

Lowcountrydave
03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Thats great Ruby Soho!

Mine are suppose to arrive tomorrow!!! I've been checking the mail for three days, I can't wait!!! I plan to set them as soft as possible, including the rear shock. If it doesn't rain this week, I'm going to take it up to CAW = Carolina Adventure World

Dave

440challenger
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I tend to find that most trails in the northern states are smoother in general, due to the dirt. NJ trails are wicked nasty, lots of straight edges,ruts ,breaking bumps ,whooped out from the sand. etc. If anyone rode out in the pine barrens before, would know what im talking about.

Glad they are working for you guys though.

Gatekeeper
03-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Just won a set of new factory takeoffs from an '07 450r. Should arrive in a couple days. Cant wait to try this mod!

Ruby Soho
03-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Just won a set of new factory takeoffs from an '07 450r. Should arrive in a couple days. Cant wait to try this mod!

thats what i got, you'll love them

Gatekeeper
03-09-2008, 08:26 AM
"
thats what i got, you'll love them

Hope so. Seems like the heavier guys are really happy with em. Im @ 275# Plan on trying em stock. If I dont like, revalve/respring.

Ruby Soho
03-09-2008, 08:29 AM
At 275# you should love them.

I weigh around 145 and hell they do great for me, no more pogo sticks:p

Gatekeeper
03-09-2008, 09:09 AM
http://forums.fishusa.com/upfiles/smiley/banana2.gif
No more Pogo Sticks!

boosted3g
03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
im about 200 lbs and have 05's resprung but not revalved. They are on a set of +2 Housers and they work flawless. No problem clearing big doubles or just cruising the trails. I have them as low as they will go, compression all the way soft and rebound nearly all the way down.

03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
boosted3g i sent you a PM

416exfreak
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Im about 155 with all my gear on.

I keep my shocks with compression and rebound both as hard as they will go, and NO pre-load.

It works great for me. They work good in slower, chooppier stuff and they dont bottom out, even on big flat landings.

I wish I could get my rear shock to do the same :(