PDA

View Full Version : ESR 34 PV motor cutting out

garrettagr
02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
guys i need some help. Looked up a thread that john370R started and he had the same problem. It runs crappy when it is cooler but gets better when it warms up. But i will throw it full throttle and it sounds like it hits the rev limiter. If i shift sooner it does better but i may be shifting too soon and bogg down the next gear. But when i am in sixth and at full throttle it humms like a bee and runs great. Could i be over reving the motor in the lower gears? I would think not as in fifth and sixth it will rev out to full throttle just fine. Its almost like it is too lean and running out of fuel but only in lower gears. I am at a loss. Could it be ignition and it cannot keep up with the revs in the lower gears but when i somewhat ease into the higher rpms like when in taller gears it is ok? please help

doc-bones
02-25-2008, 09:40 AM
What kind of mota is that???????????

garrettagr
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
meant to say 340 power valve motor, sorry

havinnoj
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
what ignition?
could be jetting. need more information. be specific.

garrettagr
02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
sorry, its a stock ignition except for a ricky stator 200 watt stator and a light flywheel. I am running a BR9ES plug at the moment but have been told to run a non resistance plug by a few people. I am also running a lectron carb that i have been working with Dennis Packard on getting set right. But it did this a little before i switched to the lectron. He said to try a different plug and also richen up the needle a little bit and that should point me in the right direction. Also, he said to run a banshee gas cap and modify it to let more air into the tank as it may be sucking so much fuel that the air cannot equalize the pressure in the tank and it starves for fuel. Not positive but he said it could be that.

havinnoj
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Play with the cap if you want to. Unless your jetting is really poor, I hesitate to think that is the problem.
I would try a new CDI or whole iginition for that matter. I had similiar problems (casued by the CDI) and a CR fixed them.

sandspanker
03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
:) I have a 350 pv. very first one that dennis packard built runs very strong. 39mm pwk 172 main and a 60 pilot jet with a dgk needle in the middle pos. I have a lrd ign. on my quad. I have had it for about 7 years only rebuilt it 1 time. I have the cpi 700 pipe. mine runs flawlessly
have never had a problem with the way it runs. I done like the lectrons nor does any of my friends. they never had any luck with them. i would get a pwk 39 or a 41 and go from their.:p I dont think your gas cap has anything to do with it. bet money on it.;)

wilkin250r
03-10-2008, 03:18 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not the gas cap.

Try some simple solutions, first. A brand new plug, and set your gap a little smaller than spec, about 0.020 should do it. High compression doesn't do well with large spark-plug gaps. Or, try an Iridium plug, they should fire a little better under high compression.

Your engine only knows two things, RPM and throttle position. It may SEEM like things run differently in different gears, but they don't. The carburetor doesn't know what gear the tranny is in. The only things that will affect your situation is RPM, and throttle position. You need to find what your problem is in THOSE TERMS ONLY (it doesn't matter what gear your in) and then get back to us.

RedRider23
03-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I had the same exact problem with my 330pv. i also thought i was over-revin it in the lower gears... mine was a very simple fix that took forever to figure out. Im sure we all have had that type of problem. lol

All i had 2 do was, move the needle down one position, and run a hotter plug. I also had 2 change the coil wire. Once i did those 3 things it ran like a champ.

This might sound like a stupid thing to say but, make sure your filter is clean and on straight. I had a similar problem when my filter was dirty. just my .02

Motofool250r
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
air leaks, check your reeds, try new plugs make sure no corrosion on the spark plug connection. check grounds and make sure no corrosion on stator pickups