PDA

View Full Version : busted gears

jeepnu24me
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
we just bought a drx90 one week ago to run short track and tt but there was a mx race this weekend so we decided to try it out first time out for practice busted the gears in the transmission i thought these things were better than that my youngest daughter ran her drx50 with no problems did i just get a lemon with the 90 or does any body have any suggestions

humboldt hills
02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
NOpe, its all about teaching the kids how to ride them in a certain way. When they go airbourne, they have to let off the gas before they land. it is too much for the tranny when the tires hit the ground at full tilt then stop spinning. There are ways to reinforce the issue with some gear savers and slipper sprocket, but the only sure fire bet is teach the little ones the trick to throttle control in the air. This is an issue with every taiwan made bike. for some reason DRR usually holds up the best, but nothing is for sure! I do know that if you get ahold of your dealer, in most cases they will be warranty. But its cases by case!
Good luck!

quad1rider
02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
If you just got it..... it should have the NEW case hardened gears... There is no problems to speak of that havent been addressed and as far as the case hardened gear this was just to help in preventing rider caused breakage...I know they are available but out of stock at last I checked.

... My son does this as well. He'll jump his quad like superman with the throttle pegged and lands >>>>with it pegged ...this is the most common issue for gear breakage..... I have found having the chain tension adjusted to tight also causes this .... Good chains dont break and all quads have a weak spot to prevent other issues that would be more costly... that would be the gears!!!:)

Now deterants are teaching these kids to let off in the air, using a slipper clutch/sprocket NEW NEW NEW:p :p :p can also help, you can go with the gear saver kit or make sure when compressing the rear end that the chain isnt stopping the rear compression. At full compression the chain should be snug but not tight 1/4 inch play is what we have been working with lately and no breakage...

I hope this helps... good luck

drr5
02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
the best method is teaching proper throttle control when jumping. we broke a trans this weakend and still finished the race with two teeth broken off he knew to be easy on the gas when he had to.

bulldogfallon
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Just because it is a new DRX90 doesn't mean it has the hardened gears..

My container order had the hardened gears installed, but the others before that did not.

DRR does have the hardened gears in stock....

They are stock ratio and hardened and don't require any sprocket changes.

The gears that will be coming in all new units (on new deliveries from Taiwan..not in stock now) will be hardened and at the new ratio which should more resistant to breakage.

quad1rider
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks Gary for pionting that out , I should not have assumed everyone knew that I meant the NEW DRR's that are coming in...

I need 3 sets of those case hardened gears to replace the old ones and keep spares on hand to help others...

cheatermtrsprts
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
The learning process usually takes a few sets. When my step son started out a few years back, he broke 3 sets between practice and the first moto!

jeepnu24me
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
does anybody have these gears in stock and how much are they

tireman43
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Send Gary(bulldogfallon) a PM. He has them and will let you know how much. He has been ill and is a little behind emails and PM's but should get back to you right away.

Kevin

WOLFPACK
03-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jeepnu24me
does anybody have these gears in stock and how much are they Be sure to ask him about the INA bearing. It helps support the gear shaft better than the stock bearing.

Shane

neveready
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I have had alot of issues with our tranny in ours as well. Let me explain. I bought our new 08 DRX 90 in December, We ran 2 races on it, 15 total laps including practice and blew the first set of gears I replaced them and went back for the next race we ran open practice friday night and blew a set of gears changed them, ran saturday, practice and first moto another set, second moto another intermediate gear. I followed some advise and went with the upgraded hardened bearings ($100) cases were still good all bearings fit very tight. This weekend we ran practice friday, practice and two motos saturday. In the second moto we were one lap in and the tranny exploded. It blew the trans cover off broke half the teeth off the intermediate gear and ate up the case to where the bearings would just fall out.

I know the first thing to mind is the rider and being on the gas, but he has been riding over 4 yrs and went from a 113cc predator with the reverse tranny that he ran extremely hard to this and NEVER blew one.

So did I get a bad one off the go??? I know this is common but in 6 races 5 sets of gears? I would like to check in to this warranty deal since my bike is only a little over 3 months old. I don't want 5 new gear sets but I would like a new case, trans cover and 1 set of gears so we can ride again. I had always heard about the customer service and great product but have had a real streak of bad luck and DNF's with this BRAND NEW bike. The only thing that saved our series championship was he always got first on the old bike and had enough to win with the bad ones on this.

Any help or suggestions??

ecmini1
03-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Neveready,

When going back together you need to install the brass bushing with the out side case saver and or have the Dave Carter mod done to your machine. The tranny saver kit is the cheaper route to go and will almost eliminate the gears breaking. At the track we have seen this time and time and this set up has a good record.

The Drr product is great so dont get down on it just you have an aggresive rider that needs to let off the throttle more offten.