PDA

View Full Version : GT thunder rear linkage

outkast
02-25-2008, 04:59 AM
does anyone run the GT thunder rear shock link? the one that supposed to get rid of the rear kick the 450r suffers from?

if so does it rearly make that much differance?

450rdr424
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
if you are getting your rear shock revalved they will send you a short link which works together with the shock to lower your ride hight and take the buck out, if you are not doing anything with your shock they will send you another link which will do the same but i am not sure if it will take the buck out completely, i had mine revalved with the link and can tell by just it sitting in the shop it sits much lower havent ridden since it wont get above 20 here in NY

02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
i have had this done to my 400ex and my 450r...yes it almost completely eliminates the buck...

hendershot106
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Yes, it makes a huge difference with JUST THEIR Linkage and revalve resprung rear shock..... a great investment in your quad and your safety in either mx or woods racing... i wish i would have tried them six months sooner in 2006. My collarbone would still be thanking me.

outkast
02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
thanks guys, geuss i better get onto them then

02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Whats the big difference between the XC and MX link? Ride height? or is it the XC link you wont have to cut your skid plate for the link to fit?

hendershot106
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Whats the big difference between the XC and MX link? Ride height? or is it the XC link you wont have to cut your skid plate for the link to fit?

the xc link is designed for 20" tires......the mx link is designed for 18" tires....

02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
the xc link is designed for 20" tires......the mx link is designed for 18" tires....

thats the only difference? I dont think I can use a different link than stock because I need that skid plate. Without it everything would be banged up. I hear stumps or rocks hit it and i feel a bump in the back everytime I go riding so leaving something exposed would not be good. Also there goes my fun trying to water cross bodies of water lol Even though I dont do that much its fun to do and its cool seeing everone stop to watch you do it.

blacknblue#2
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
i cant tell you much about XC on a gt thunder link but i can say when i first got into MX heavily i was running a stock rear shock and link and was losing some serious lap time because every time i tried a set of whoops real fast i wound up layin in the whoops. I sent my rear shock to GTT and told them what i was experiencing and they revalved and resprung the shock and sent me a link. Im thinkin it was around a little over 300 bucks and was worth every penny of it. I can hit a set of whoops w/o now and just let the suspension do its job

ricksmx865
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
thats the only difference? I dont think I can use a different link than stock because I need that skid plate. Without it everything would be banged up. I hear stumps or rocks hit it and i feel a bump in the back everytime I go riding so leaving something exposed would not be good. Also there goes my fun trying to water cross bodies of water lol Even though I dont do that much its fun to do and its cool seeing everone stop to watch you do it.

i just cut a lil notch in my skidplate to make it work..... also gtt makes a thing that mounts on either side of your chain and a guard that mounts underneath your rotor thus eliminating the skidplate.... ill be gettin them when i get some extra cash

hendershot106
02-26-2008, 10:13 AM

you asked for the BIG difference...... not ALL the differences!!!!!

if you can use a sawzall,..... a grinder..... or a dremel tool.... you shouldnt have any trouble modifying your stock skidder..... and even if you cant.... a bent sprocket or bent rotor is much cheaper than a broken arm, wrist, or neck.

02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
how much needs to be cut? All the way through? Or can it just be shaved down and made thinner in the area?

450rdr424
02-26-2008, 01:23 PM
it is easiest to notch it i have to do that with my prm, the link is thick and will take a beating not like the stock link if you have the money buy the sprocket guards and rotor guard from gtt as well.....

atvrulz
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
i cant tell you much about XC on a gt thunder link but i can say when i first got into MX heavily i was running a stock rear shock and link and was losing some serious lap time because every time i tried a set of whoops real fast i wound up layin in the whoops. I sent my rear shock to GTT and told them what i was experiencing and they revalved and resprung the shock and sent me a link. Im thinkin it was around a little over 300 bucks and was worth every penny of it. I can hit a set of whoops w/o now and just let the suspension do its job

Will an axis dual rate rear shock be much better than a gt thunder resprung and revalved shock? Should i save my money and just go with the GT thunder setup or is it a night and day difference with the axis shock?

staakej
03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
the gt thunder link is made to work with a single rate shock only. I wouldnt even mess with a duel rate shock. A lot of guys just use a custom axis spring on a stock shock if you go to the gt thunder web page he has a list of the spring rate you need for your rider weight

03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by staakej
the gt thunder link is made to work with a single rate shock only. I wouldnt even mess with a duel rate shock. A lot of guys just use a custom axis spring on a stock shock if you go to the gt thunder web page he has a list of the spring rate you need for your rider weight

Why is the link only for single rate shocks?!?

chadbarger18
03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
i need help with this to i want to run a 20in tire for mx so would the xc link be ok to use or would i just have to use a smaller tire

staakej
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm not for sure somthing about the progression though the travel with the linkage. The linkage kinda works like a duel rate shock. From what I was told. It getting a little over my head. Just call Gt thunder just ask there really good about answering questions. If I was going to run 20in tires I would get the XC link. You could still run on the moto cross track with that and it will work fine. they both work about the same just designed for different size tires. I would maybe say that the XC link is plusher. But if you wanted to run mx with it maybe you could get it valved a little stiffer. But you need to ask someone with a little more info than me