PDA

View Full Version : I rode the wheels of it!

dudeman_29
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Today was the 3rd ride of 08 for me. I was so happy to be back on the seat. So after some trail riding we headed out to the feilds. As I reached WOT my left rear wheel fell off. At first I just went into one heck of a powerslide. However at WOT it was a little scary. When I had it almost corrected I fell to the axle. When I looked to my left I saw my left rear pass me. I leaned to my front right and hit my front brakes and got it stoped. It was a TRIP. Nothing was hurt just need a new nut and cotter pin. I have pics of the aftermath if someone would tell me how to post them I would like to.

ti2ibal1
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
I think a situation like that would make me poop a little bit!

Glad to hear you are OK. That could have been NASTY!

hornetgod13
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
You are either a very lucky or very good rider. You have to constantly check those axle nuts. They work lose all the time. Don't assume the cotter key will save you. I hope others learn from your near death experience.

my88r
02-24-2008, 11:15 PM
glad to hear your okay. quad parts can always be fixed.:)

Grant Casey
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
ur lucky ay,, i had my rear wheel fall off doing 3rd gear pinned around a conner,, it slid for abit then the axle dug in and threw me arob there bars breaking my arm,, that was scary

dudeman_29
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
You are either a very lucky or very good rider. You have to constantly check those axle nuts. They work lose all the time. Don't assume the cotter key will save you. I hope others learn from your near death experience.

I would like to think I'm a good rider. Really what saved me is thinking fast and not freaking out. Don't get me wrong when it was all said and done I freaked. I have never had this problem but it is now part of my pre-ride inspection for sure.

Brauap
02-25-2008, 05:08 AM
So what happend? When when to powerslide and both wheels came off? WOW! That god your alright, and hope you get to ride again soon! (And have fun fiinding those lug nuts, lol)

hornetgod13
02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
have fun fiinding those lug nuts, lol)

You misunderstood what happened. The hub and tire assembly came off together. The cotter key and axle hub nut came off. I think the lugs were still holding the tire to the hub.

I discovered my left hub loose twice. I think it's caused by the way the axle rotates and the direction that the hub nut is tightened. If the axle's left side had left handed threads it wouldn't be an issue.

dudeman_29
02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
hornet got it, the hub never came off the rim. Was going to fix it today but woke up with the flu.:(

coryatver
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
if the wheel bearings get bad enough the hub will come off with the hub nut still tight. I rode the wheels off my trx200sx once. luckly at slow speed

02-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Luckly it wasnt off a jump or it could have looked like this

hornetgod13
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
if the wheel bearings get bad enough the hub will come off with the hub nut still tight. I rode the wheels off my trx200sx once. luckly at slow speed

Rear hubs don't have bearings on a 400EX.

coryatver
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
i thought he was talking about fronts:blah:

400ex28
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you even have a cotter pin in? mine have came loose but never came all the way off because the cotter pin keeps the nut from comming off. I don't see how a cotter pin just fall's out :rolleyes:

hornetgod13
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
Did you even have a cotter pin in? mine have came loose but never came all the way off because the cotter pin keeps the nut from comming off. I don't see how a cotter pin just fall's out :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing myself. I read somewhere here on the website that there was a knucklehead that secured his axle nuts with safety wire. The guy had a death wish!

dudeman_29
02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
There was a cotter pin in it. I'm not sure put I slid the rear end into a stump earlyer that day, so that might be where the cotter pin went I dont know.

miller821
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I discovered my left hub loose twice. I think it's caused by the way the axle rotates and the direction that the hub nut is tightened. If the axle's left side had left handed threads it wouldn't be an issue.

Chrysler's vehicles used to have this... I know my dad's '70 Challenger did at least.

But I kinda know how ya feel... I was riding one day and went to go on my left two wheels, and all the sudden feel a jerk and see my rear wheel pass me and almost hit my dad who was kinda next to me... Only my hub didn't rip off, just my rim tore my lugs off. (Weren't tightened real tight at all.)

Couple weeks later at a different place, thought we had fixed the problem... Well went around a berm pretty hard and fast, and this time the center of my rim all got ripped up and the rim went into rolling with my axle... Another fun day ending just dandy!