PDA

View Full Version : ATVA national "stock limited 50cc " rules

hotquads1
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
. I wanted to share this info to all that might be interested, I have recieved several calls and emails concerning the rules for the stock limited 50cc class "ATVA". There seem to be a few questions arising that some of you wanted clarification on , some so-called grey areas and up for interpretations rules etc , so here goes on the most common. I have The email from Doug Morris with the ATVA verifying these rulings, so dont throw rocks at the messenger. The most asked question I get is about the oil injection, It must be complete and in working order , with no foriegn items to block it off(BB), this has been a common mod in the past and overlooked for the most part, but it is not legal and will be checked, upheld, and protested this year. Next one is concerning the timing , it cannot be changed from stock by any means including slotting stator plate , offset key, or aftermarket CDI. Another question was referring to electric start components, All of the electric start components must remain in tact and hooked up for operation, including starter ring gear on crankshaft.
Exhaust and silencer and carb must remain stock and unmodified, other than jetting . The good news for 08' , air filters may be changed to aftermarket filters. I am sure there are other questions but these are the ones that arise the most and I hope this may benefit some of you that are getting ready for the new year of racing and may alert others that may not have been aware that their machine was not legal. We sell and build and prep alot of machines for this class and try to stay current on all rules and changes , so if we can ever assist any of you in these matters, just ask. Hope to see all of you at the races , and double check your childs quad before someone gets embarrassed at a protest. I have heard these items have allready been cracked down on in some of the districts and the nationals are next, so pass it on.
marc

quad1rider
02-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Marc,

Good call Happy I didnt spend 4200.00 for all the items you mentioned as another dealer priced out for me....I know the rules as well actually I speak with doug often. As well as a friend of mine named Marc L> he's an ATVA/ someting something quad riding instructor and deals with issues constantly...

But I do want to mention one issue that I was told by doug was ok and that would be ... you dont need the battery and it does not need be hooked up .lights and brake lights can be removed or disconnected... you can change to nerfs...and the tether to a pro style....

Now for the conflicting issue....the electric starter cannot be removed but inside the motor the gears can be removed as it is an internal part of the motor and internal mods are allowed...

Now if there is a conflicting issue he needs to address it because that is what he wrote me last year... Also I commend you for sticking to the rules and will be proud to have my son race against your kids... I agree to a top 3 teardown...

Get back with any info you find ...thanks

Quad12
02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes I agree I would like to know about the starter rule if you can at least take the battery out but leave all the rest of the gears etc. in the motor.

Thanks...

hotquads1
02-25-2008, 09:45 AM
by quad1rider ; "Now for the conflicting issue....the electric starter cannot be removed but inside the motor the gears can be removed as it is an internal part of the motor and internal mods are allowed..."

. This is the statement made by Doug concerning this issue, "“Starter ring gear” your words. Same as above, but you are allowed to make changes to the internal portions of the motor, If the starter ring is inside the engine case then yes you can change or modify, if not, no your can’t change it. "
The issue here that makes it illegal is the DRR 50 starter ring gear is not in the "engine case" , it is in the cvt cover area , out side of the engine case(just as the stator). The engine case being the 2 halves that house the center portion of crank. In the past some have stretched this to an internal engine mod , but its not internal engine, and will be deemed illegal, per Doug.

. I have not heard the battery addressed seperatly but I do think quad1rider is correct in that it can be removed
marc

Steven623
02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Nothing against Doug, but make sure you get his responses printed out so you have proof? You can't print his phone calls. good luck.

quad1rider
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Marc thats funny:rolleyes: as for my issue with that he stated that internal was inside the case.... stator is outside the case and covered only by plastic and that is why you cant use a pvl but to say you cant change anything inside the case would be saying you cant do clutch mods as the rules say you can and gearing as the rules say you can...

I see NO grey areas as to what is considered internal based on that rule.. if it is covered by metal it should be fair game... The complete CVT and all its internal parts inside that enclosure is allowed to be modified I dont understand why 1 set of useless gears would make any difference being removed....

thats why we should be writting the rules ...whats the advantage anyway a 2 lap head start.... its trivial at best.... when will we vote or be asked about the rules we pay membership dues and they want us to vote in people but pass on asking important issues that effect us.

hotquads1
02-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I fully prepped national 50 , can easily cost 4200 and be legal, if you buy from a knowledgable dealer I am sure it will be legal. Cost for quality parts add up quick, wheels ,tires, nerfs, handlebars , clutch mods , graphics, # plates and mounts, porting and internal engine mods, race crank and bearings and labor to install can easily double the base price of a quad. Also sprockets, and gears and filters, jetting, bumpers adds up .
marc

quad1rider
02-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Your right in a way but the dealer that quotes stuff like slotting the stator, drilling the carb, and other known cheats in my eyes is not honest and charging for illegal mods is even worse not saying they should be free but they need to be held reasonible for even doing that type of illegal work knowing the class the racer is running...

Unless your being overcharged a stock DRR 50 limited/mod should in no way need alot of work there's only a few items that will make a difference running a STOCK pipe. porting , hi comp head, clutch work, pegs and pro tether are basic needs. with all the cost should be around 3200.00-3600.00. Drr has some of the best parts already installed and sometimes the clutch should even be left alone.... Everything else is bling like grafix and bumpers and such.

These mods are trivial...like new piston & crank..which must remain 39.2 or its illegal... so no gain there and a stuffer is questionable....ceramic bushings and bearings are high heat issues that I feel is just a waste of money for 4 laps of racing...now talking pro or multi laps that changes

And truly the only reason there is NO true STOCK CLASS anymore is because of cheaters.... Now its limited and people still cant leave that alone without finding grey areas... who finds the grey areas anyway dishonest people... So as a dealer JUST SAY NOOOOO! and lets race for the fun of racing...

#404's Dad
03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
What about running Kart wheels and tires on the rear of the Limited 50's? You have to machine the hubs down to fit them, I was told most everyone runs them, is this true, can they be machined down to fit these 6 inch wheels?

hotquads1
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
rules state that tires and wheels can be changed , but stock width must be retained.
marc

#404's Dad
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
rules state that tires and wheels can be changed , but stock width must be retained.
marc

Yeah I know lol, Just wish someone could answer the hub milling question before I spend the money to mill 4 hubs.

hotquads1
03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I think the ATVA will tell you hubs cannot be modified.
marc

Quad12
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Can the headlight be removed on the DRR and still be legal?

hotquads1
03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
when asked, Doug at ATVA says it should remain in place and be covered by tape . when in question about a rule concerning the stock limited 50 class , remember if is not stated as an item that can be modified or removed then it must remain in stock form .
marc

#404's Dad
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Just talked to Doug, the water cooled DRR 50 is as of today "Approved", if that helps anyone .

machwon
03-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Leaving a headlight in may cause some issues in certain districts. Having the chance of the glass being broken when in the bike seems like would be a safety concern. Does the watercooled approval just mean those atv's produced that way? I wouldn't think you could convert an older one? Thanks,

hotquads1
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by machwon
Leaving a headlight in may cause some issues in certain districts. Having the chance of the glass being broken when in the bike seems like would be a safety concern. Does the watercooled approval just mean those atv's produced that way? I wouldn't think you could convert an older one? Thanks,
I agree Bob, removing headlight makes more sense but fortunatly the DRR headlights are not glass, so no real safety issues .
marc

tireman43
03-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I agree Bob, removing headlight makes more sense but fortunatly the DRR headlights are not glass, so no real safety issues .
marc

Hey Marc, what are they made of, if not glass? My son exploded his the last race we had and it sure seemed like glass, or at least a heavy crappy alternative. Even if they aren't glass it is still a safety concern to me. Especially since I have had this problem recently.:(

Kevin

hotquads1
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I have never broke one , but it apperars to be a plastic lense on the headlight . tape over it , should hold debris together in case of impact. But dont get me wrong I also wish it was legal to remove.
marc

quadscrib
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I guess rules are rules and it sounds like Marc has experience in the headlamp arena but untill reading this post I would have NEVER thought or even in my wildest imagination guessed that to remove it would be against the rules... besides some weight savings how is this considered a "direct performance advantage"?
Thought before someone else states it I guess removing any weight no matter how little is just that...is that how Im supposed to see it?
The ONLY reason I havnt remomoved Ollies yet is cause he thinks its so cool to have a headlamp:huh

quadscrib
03-21-2008, 07:55 PM
when asked, Doug at ATVA says it should remain in place and be covered by tape . when in question about a rule concerning the stock limited 50 class , remember if is not stated as an item that can be modified or removed then it must remain in stock form .
marc

Ok I now just read this and I suppose thats just how it is...noone here locally still has theirs in place and I know at least two of them rode at the RED BUD national last year but I guess its just a matter of a protest and why risk it...50 Production class next year anyways...and that doesnt mean my boy will want it off then anyways.

neveready
03-22-2008, 03:45 PM
6. 50cc Limited: Production models. The following may be changed: tires, wheels (must not change stock width) internal portions of the motor, spark arrestor may be removed (must still meet 99db), sprockets, gearing, clutch, twist throttle, handlebars, grips, handle bar pads, front bumper, rear grab bar, air filter and jetting. Air box lid may be removed or modified. Fenders may be trimmed, manufacturer installed parental speed limiting devices may be removed. Nerf bars or suitable floorboards and working tether cords are required. No other modifications are allowed INCLUDING carburetors, oil injection, air box, gas tank, exhaust systems, wheel base, width, rear axle, A-arm, steering dampner, shocks and suspension. However, if a violation is deemed by the referee to be cosmetic in nature, with no performance advantage or willful misconduct involved, he may issue a warning or fine in lieu of disqualification.

Just reading in on this the headlight thing has me scratching my head. We are getting ready right now to run this class and in our last indoor race he crashed and broke the front plastic and the headlight won't stay in place. I am not wanting to buy new plastic just to run an unhooked headlight with tape over it:huh I know many that ran last year in both series in this class without it. The bottom line of these rules to me clears up the headlight thing(espescially in my case). If they want this to be a clear rule they need to post it so there is no "grey areas".

#404's Dad
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
According to Doug Morris the headlight and tail light must remain on the bikes for the "Limited" class.

ReMeMbEr Its a "Stock" class WITH the exception of whats listed as legal to change, IF it's NOT listed it CANNOT be altered in anyway.

This is pretty much what I have been told and it all makes sense and will work providing that EVERY abides by the rules.

hotquads1
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
this is an email that I got from Doug at ATVA a few weeks ago ;

"Hello Marc,

The key point to remember when you have a question about any stock class is to focus on the work stock. Unless the rules say specifically you can change something then the answer will always come back to stock or no you can’t change it. Oil injection must be stock, so no you can’t plug the oil line and use pre-mix.
We both know that there were possible violations of the rules, there always are, unfortunately it’s not a perfect world and everyone in the pits normally knows who is cheating and who is not. If an infraction is suspected it is every riders right to bring it to the attention of the referee.

Remember the key word for this class is stock. This class is for entry level, beginning riders.

If I missed something please contact me at any time, I applaud you doing your best to follow the rules.

Doug Morris
Director, ATVA
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, OH 43147
866-288-2564 ext. 1337
f 614-856-1921
www.ATVAonline.com
rights riding racing

Doug has told me in the past that there is no grey area in the stock limited class because , Unless the rules say specifically you can change something then the answer will always come back to stock or no you can’t change it, leaving nothing up for interpretation. This does not mean everyone is following the rules .
marc

quadscrib
03-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Id say that pretty much sums it up.