PDA

View Full Version : Made me a new enemy last night

markvette
02-24-2008, 09:00 PM
well i made me a new enemy last night. i am pretty good at that because i speak my mind. anyway this one dont really bother me because this father is just wrong and knows he is. we had planned to run a arena cross race last night but bubba got sick and couldnt race. i decided to go since it was only 40 miles from the house and i had a lot of friends going. i had worked on 3 mini quads this week that were in this ax series. 2 apexs and a kasea. anyway all 3 fathers told me they were getting blown away by a rider running a new quad. said the kid was running a typhoon before and it was really built and fast. now the daddy bought little johnny a new race MINI. i get to the race and guess what the new mini is. a full blown top of the line crf150 shifter quad and he is running it against cvt's in the mini quad class and he also runs a suzuki 450 in the beginner big quad class and he won that class last night too. i was told he bought the quad from the gilcrest. anyway i go up to him and tell him straight out that if my boy was still running mini quads that i would protest him. he tells me that the cc limit in the class is 150. i tell him the people running the series dont have a clue when it comes to quads expecially minis and that he knows better even though they dont. this kid is a very good rider and lapped the whole field on the shifter quad. this kinda parent just gets under my skin. what is he teaching his son. anyway i am friends with the seals and taylor was suppose to be there last night but never showed up. sorry to say i never wanted a kid to get beat so bad as i did last night as taylor would have handed him his head in a bag for . this guy said they were running nationals this year so have fun with a cheater as far as i am concerned if you run nationals. anyway i got this off my chest.

Mark

tireman43
02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I understand the frustration and good to get it off your chest. On the other hand it sounds like the Promoters are doing a good job of helping the other guy by letting him run with CVTs. So some of the blame should go to them also. If indeed he does run the Nationals this season, then you will be able to see if he can run against others on very similar quads with great, talented kids riding them. Keep yourself posted on the Nationals this year Mark and see how they stack up. I do want to say though, good luck to the other kid this season and it's good to see others that are going to the Nationals.

gbcap
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
if the cc limit is 150cc how is he cheating?

if there is a CVT rule then he is, but in the smaller series they normally don't have enough quads to split it all out.

he is not teaching his son anything bad. other then skills. so what if he is lapping all the riders. if tyler was there and could hand this kid is *** as you put it wouldn't tyler be lapping all the riders as well? what is he being taught?

not trying to cause any ****. but it doesn't seem like we have the whole story.

tireman43
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
if the cc limit is 150cc how is he cheating?

if there is a CVT rule then he is, but in the smaller series they normally don't have enough quads to split it all out.

he is not teaching his son anything bad. other then skills. so what if he is lapping all the riders. if tyler was there and could hand this kid is *** as you put it wouldn't tyler be lapping all the riders as well? what is he being taught?

not trying to cause any ****. but it doesn't seem like we have the whole story.

This is off the original topic but our series runs the shifters with the sport/youth production quads.

markvette
02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
you have the whole story. our series the shifters have to run with the sport class, both texas quad racing associations they run with the sport class. in our area these tracks know nothing about quads and unless they have a quad guy help them set up the classes they usually have a mess with the classes. actually taylor would have probably ran his shifter in the beginner quad class with the 450's. he did in our series and ran second place. i really dont think taking advantage of the series organizations ignorance is an excuse for trophy hunting. my oldest son is a very talented rider. at 14 he was sponsored by a shop and rode a cannondale moto for them. i moved him up to the pro class locally at 15 because of his skill level and truthfully in the lower class no one else had much of a chance with him in the race. i moved him up so he would get better and faster and to give the other guys in the lower class a more even playing field. oh well again this was my opinion and we all have one. you can cut it anyway you want but fair is fair and what this dad is doing he knows is wrong or should anyway.

Mark

markvette
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
ok i take back the cheating part. i guess he is not cheating. now what should have been done and i would have done if my son was on a mini racing this series. the mini quad parents that run this series should have printed out some of the rules and classes from other associations to show these promotors that this quad does not belong in this class. a few years back we went to an ax race. they were going to let an 8 year old girl run a 300ex in the mini quad class. all the mini quad parents protested. we were told that she is only 8 years old and we dont want her with the older guys on the big quads. my answer to the father was buy her a mini then. anyway this little girl was the daughter of the guy that built the track who is a professional quad ice racer and has won the championship a few years. otherwise she has been on a quad since she could walk. eventually all the mini quad parents threatened to pack up and leave. they did not allow her to run with the mini quads, they made a sport class that 6 entrants singed up for and she won the class. my morale to the story is. if you know that you are buying your kid a quad that there is no class for locally then get him something else. or stick to the nationals where you have a class he can run with quads like his

Logan #34's Dad
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Mark, I've got some of the same issues here locally. I've posted some stuff about it here once. We raced this past weekend at an indoor.(Cold in Ohio!) Anyhow, Logan's quad has most of the "said" go fast parts and we are getting outrun to turn one by 4 quad lengths. I believe this dad put in a 90cc motor for his little girl. She gets to turn one first and leaves last if you get the idea. There are about 10 or so kids that race with each other in the series and we all get along. My issue is whether or not to file protests against them and create enemies or problems. I want to keep the family atomsphere AND you never know when you need help or a part. HOWEVER, when your son comes back all upset saying that he could not keep up with a rider on the straights it gets tough. It will probably eat at me until I say something to the parent then he'll probably wanna fight and I'll have to beat him down but it is what it is. I'm gonna post this situation somewhere by itself to. Mark, the way I'm starting to see it is - I don't go drinkin' with any of them and they really aren't my friend so what the heck. Hopefully, they will still let the kids play together.

markvette
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
well i have always had a big mouth and said what is on my mind. gets me in trouble sometimes but that is just me. but i have also been told that it has helped in a lot of situations, not just for me but for others. im kinda a black and white person, there is no gray area to me. rights right and wrongs wrong. kinda like a quad class advertised as a sport class being up tp 350cc 4 stroke and 250 cc 2 stroke and i bring a 250 r to the race and my boy laps the field because in reality that 250 r should run with the 450 4 strokes. i took advantage because the race promoter forgot to put in his flyer that the 250r was not allowed it that class. ok i didnt break the race rules but to me i broke the REAL rules. i help a lot of tracks here set up their quad races. i helped set up our classes and rules the last 2 series we have ran. i got a guy mad at me because i wouldnt allow his cobra 90 to run in the cvt class. only cobra 90 i know of in a 3 state area and i was expected to change the rule so his son could smoke everyone in the cvt class. again if you buy your kid a quad to run nationals that does not fit into any of the local classes then get him something else he can run locally. these shifter quads are a rareity and no one locally has a special class for them because there just aint enough of them to do it. anyway this is the way i feel and i aint ashamed to say so.

Mark

markvette
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
oh and while im on my soap box. LOL when bubba turned 13 he had to move off the mini. all our local tracks would not make a sport class. so what was i to do, put him right off a mini on a 450. no i built him a 300ex and he ran the beginner quad class against all 450 quads, he had never rode a quad that he had to shift gears on before, the first couple of series races he ran dead last. he was upset but i kept pumping him up and telling him to just do his best and that i was proud of him. well the last couple of races he was giving the 450's heck. last race of the series he came out of the gate second against all the 450's. he was running third and took second away from a suzuki 450 then set his sites on first place which was another suzuki 450 when his chain broke and knocked a hole in the engine case. he finished third in the points in that series and i was darn proud of him. guess i could have complained about him running with the 450's and asked if he could run with the minis. heck his 300ex is heavier and has less horsepower that a full blown crf150 shifter quad but i didnt and right now at 14 he is on his brothers old ex/yz426 hybrid and has ran second in the 2 races he has raced it in so far. now he wants to move up a class not stay down and trophy hunt. i am a firm believer that your kid will only get faster running with kids that are as fast or faster than he is. ok i will get off the soap box now.

Mark

Dirtblast
02-26-2008, 07:09 AM
"i got a guy mad at me because i wouldnt allow his cobra 90 to run in the cvt class. only cobra 90 i know of in a 3 state area and i was expected to change the rule so his son could smoke everyone in the cvt class"

Mark,
If you are talking about our disagreement about Dalton's Cobra, then you miss understood what I was trying to say about the classes. You allowed TRX125's to run with the cvt's, I was just trying to get you to let Dalton run his Cobra with them not the cvt's. Also I never got mad and it wasn't a 90, it was a bone stock 70. Dalton has a 300ex now, maybe we'll see you and Bubba at some of the SeQuad races.

Gus

markvette
02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Gus
man i didnt mention your name so there wouldnt be a problem with me and you. i dont know where we got messed up on the cobra unless it was a manual clutch. the cobra 70 was allowed to run our mini class just not the manual clutch. little mike gleason runs his cobra 70 with us and waxes everyone but we let him run. the manual clutch 70 is a different animal. big mike himself told me theirs will come out of the gate with the 450 quads. we plan on running a few se quad races. matter fact our series and theirs has one together at lamx this year. bubba is not running the 300 anymore. we had no class here to run it in so he is on the ex/yz426 hybrid now. we will see you somewhere down the road.

Mark