PDA

View Full Version : Z-400 hard start problem

nastynotchback1
02-24-2008, 07:41 PM
first i would like to ask that people with knowledge help me with this please.

z-400 motor 450cc's with cams,13.5-1 comp,ported head,titanium valves,ect.also has fcr41mm carb.when it is cold you can forget cranking it up with out a charger set to start mode and then it takes awhile or pull it off and it cranks pretty quick.as long as it is warm it will crank fine but if it sits for and 1hr or so you can give it up.it will act as if it is going to start but want.this thing set for a year before i got it and i went through the carb with no change.even when it is warm there is a combination to get it to start then.this is a great theft device but suck for me when i want to ride.anyone had/have this problem and what are your thoughts.oh yeah it has a vortex ignition but i know nothing about it or how to adjust it.i feel like it is either i missed something cleaning the carb or the auto hot start on the cam may be a problem.

things i have done

new battery
carb cleaned
new plug
carb adjustments.

indyZrider
02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
are the valve clearances within spec?

nastynotchback1
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
have not checked that.i don't know what brand cams or the specs.i bought the quad already built.whats the best way to find out the specs besides the person who built it.thanks

indyZrider
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
i would head over to z400central.com and ask about the hotcam clearances. or you can call hotcams and ask them personally. might be faster to call them. i can give you the stock clearances but i dont know if that will help at all. i guess your honda had hotcams. ummm... i would take off the valve cover and cam chain and pull the cams out and see if they have a name on them then. might be your best bet.

nastynotchback1
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
i have been browsing z-400 central but not registered.guess i will now and see.i am just about willing to bet it has hotcams in it.thanks for the info