PDA

View Full Version : 450x2 or 525x2?

450raider
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
ok i know this has probably been asked 1000 times but here it goes, which quad would some suggest for my riding, one of the polaris 450, 525 or ktm 450, 525? every year i set a plan of a quad to get sometimes i do and sometimes i dont and these are in my runnings (although im happy where im at and if i dont get one it wont really be a heartbreaker), now with all that said i do mostly trail riding but do plan on racing sooner or later oh and heres the big catch, money is of the essence im wanting to find a good used one to skip the outrageous msrp's which kinda makes me think i wont get either soon so can someone suggest when would be the best time to look for one (whichever it may be)

rgasper33
02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
The brand is def a can of worms. Now your gonna have all the trolls on their way to bash Polaris. But here is my opinion. For trails I think the polaris quads have an advantage with the suspension. I have heard people say that KTM is to stiff, even for mx, but i dont know. speeds and power are obviously close, maybe slight edge to ktm because they are lighter. Racing prob goes tto ktms but also outlaws are no slouch. As far as size, that depends on what kinda racing you wanna do, your size, ect.... You cant go wrong either way, but if price is an issue, that would probably be the deciding factor to go with polaris. Also how available are the ktms in your area and how close is the dealer?

450raider
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
well thanks for the info so far but thats another thing, there is no ktm dealer around me and only one pol. and i have seen the outlaws and was impressed but all that dosent matter when you plan on buying one used and yeah i ride 85% trails and i have a blast in them on my 450's which is why im kinda leaning for a 525 for something different so could a 525 hang in trails? and im still not quite sure which one

ds450maniac
02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
If you ride trails 85% trails and want a polaris or ktm and money is an issue go with the polaris 525 IRS. My friend has a 06 polaris outlaw 500IRS with the fox shocks and hmf and some other stuff and it feels awsome on the trails extra smooth and the IRS and fox shocks soaks up everything its amazing. I was looking into the IRS models and still am as you read and replied in one of my treads, but I'm getting into racing and IDK how well the IRS would work on an mx track lol. I'd imagine the IRS wouldn't hold up on an mx track or take the abuse but IDK and I'm not being the test dummy lol. Hope this helped you

SSJEFF
02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by 450raider
well thanks for the info so far but thats another thing, there is no ktm dealer around me and only one pol. and i have seen the outlaws and was impressed but all that dosent matter when you plan on buying one used and yeah i ride 85% trails and i have a blast in them on my 450's which is why im kinda leaning for a 525 for something different so could a 525 hang in trails? and im still not quite sure which one

You might look into the irs for trail riding. I would definatly go with the 525 since your not worried about a limit for racing. You can find 07 irs525's used everywere now. Bryan baker is looking into selling his from last year I heard. That would be a heck of a buy.

450raider
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
yeah but arent them irs's awful heavy? wouldnt you get a bit of a sportier advantage with the s, it also seems to me that they would be hell to work on if something happened around the back sprocket.

LT250_JOE
02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
525S: 375LBS
525IRS: 395LBS AND it has a 2 HP advantage over the S due to a better flowing airbox.

As far as the rear axle setup: Its all nuts and bolts no matter how you look at! Just a couple more.

I had a tough time making a decision when I decided to buy mine. I definately have no regrets! I do 90% trail riding and feel less fatique after riding for hours than on my previous quads and the people I ride with.

realbadlarry
02-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm a KTM troll here to bash the Pols, Get the IRS for trail riding, as far as weight, I don't think you will feel it. It feels that way when riding because it is sooo plush. Power is great and the ride is awesome, not to mention big rocks don't scare you as much. My ktm 525 feels a little stiff, but I can soften it up easily, plus the fun factor is off the charts. Way better than the KFX400 I was riding. Any of the 525 quads will be great fun, get what YOU want, and enjoy. Life is too short.

SSJEFF
02-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by 450raider
yeah but arent them irs's awful heavy? wouldnt you get a bit of a sportier advantage with the s, it also seems to me that they would be hell to work on if something happened around the back sprocket.

same weight as the 700r raptor. The weight doesn't bother me since I do not get stuck as much with all the clearance and the ride is great like joe said. I used to ride a sra and I would be sore for 2 days after riding. I barely get sore now except for my arms and upper back from holding on since I am pushing it even more. Its all what you want though. The IRS will shine greatly in rough trail riding.

No matter what you ride if you have the suspension tuned it will show a world of difference.

I haven't riden a 525s yet just other sra and all the IRS that I have had. I have a buddy eying the 525s and if he gets it I will then know. I imagine it would be a little quicker with less drivetrain but the airbox is soehwat tiny. I wish they would have been able to do omething like KTM did in this area.

rgasper33
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Ya the air box is a bit small on the 525s. You would really have to clean it often to keep performance. I think it lost like one or two horse because of it but its like 20-25lbs lighter. Either way is good. Its what you prefer!!!

somewon
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I came from a strait axle and don't see any reason for me to go back. I ride trails, sand, and mess around on a MX track every once in a while.

I love my IRS and in the rocky and muddy trails I ride in I have to wait for everyone else at every fork. where as before the group was staying pretty tight.

I think Realbadlarry pegged it right and you should keep his adivce in mind.

SSJEFF
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by realbadlarry
I'm a KTM troll here to bash the Pols, Get the IRS for trail riding, as far as weight, I don't think you will feel it. It feels that way when riding because it is sooo plush. Power is great and the ride is awesome, not to mention big rocks don't scare you as much. My ktm 525 feels a little stiff, but I can soften it up easily, plus the fun factor is off the charts. Way better than the KFX400 I was riding. Any of the 525 quads will be great fun, get what YOU want, and enjoy. Life is too short.

I think you need to teach some others how to bash polaris lol.

atvrider23054
03-06-2008, 05:43 AM
i hope u no the 525 is able to race just not in the pro classes

SSJEFF
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by atvrider23054
i hope u no the 525 is able to race just not in the pro classes
the 525 is a llowed in the gncc pro class. Not sure what series you are refering to.

OutlawBill
03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
the 525 is a llowed in the gncc pro class. Not sure what series you are refering to.

next year it will be 450cc ATV MX Pro it is 450cc now and WORCS Pro class is 450cc by RD 4

SSJEFF
03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
last I saw they had it posted that they may make the limit 450 in gncc but heres is the rules stated on the site now:

". XC1 and XC2 (ATV): (0-525cc) Fuel tanks are limited to a 4-gallon maximum capacity. Production models only: OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Frame geometry must remain as designed by the OEM, including all suspension pivot points. Engine modifications, frame reinforcements, and aftermarket A-arms, swing-arms and suspension are permitted. In 2009, the engine limit will be reduced to 450cc."

After talking to a pro, that person is concerned about people running 470 since they would have to challenge the cc size....

I wonder why they are changing the rules. It's not like the 525's are killing the 450's.