PDA

View Full Version : looking for tire ideas, 300ex, rears

DANVAN
02-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I do a lot of trail riding, rock, mud, water, snow. Not to much into sand pits.

What is a good type of tire to get? Not sure if I should be looking for the flat/knobby racing type like a holeshot, or a more aggresive type like a bear claw.

I spoke with 2 sport quad rides today and both like their bear claws, but 1 says they are heavy. How much of a factor is weight, my 300 is all stock. 2 guys I ride with have good luck with Holeshots, but actually get stuck more then me with my very worn tires.

I have what might be the original tires on it now, H-Trac P/V 702
They have served me extremly well, I get thru eveything with them, they are not the flat top design like the holeshot, more of a rounded type tire, is this the type of tire I should stick with.

Also size is an issue, I have 22-10-9 now and was thinking about going larger for more clearance and traction. But from what I have read, 22 is about the tallest Ive seen on a 300ex.

Can I/should I go any taller. I still have the factory heal guards on it with 1.5 inch clearance on the right side and 2.5 in on the left. I think a little bending will increase the clearance on the right.
Can I go wider by an inch and use the same rims I have?

Last question, my tire size 22-10-9, 22 = overall tire height, 10 = width of tire, 9 = rim height, is this correct.

BTY, my front tires r 23-7-10 holeshot xct

Thanks

Honda4life05
02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
i have 20in xct holeshots on my 300ex. they are good on weight and have very soft tread..i get around very well in snow an mud. if ur Not concerned about weight i would get holeshot h-d they are good mud tires but still not a radial..btw the xct's wear down quick when riden on concrete like most tires.

bwamos
02-25-2008, 06:27 AM
I like a couple different tires for different conditions.

For generaly use I run Razr1's in the rear.
But in muddy and rocky conditions I love a set of Maxxis Sur-Traks 22-8-11.

Very similar to the bearclaw but it has IMHO a better setup w/ the center lug for straight line traction and sidewall lugs for climbing out of ruts. And if you want to get real funky you can actually get them up to 25" lol. But, I'd stick w/ the 22's. ;)

You'll notice on the side it has diretional arrows. Reverse for sand. NO they don't work in the sand for crap. You need sand tires or knobbies for sand. ;) Reversed does work decent in the snow though. :)

DANVAN
02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

From the reading I have done, I think I have decided on Kenda Klaw xc, 22-11-9.

I can get them from Rocky Mountain ATV for $114.00 including shipping. Seems like a great price to me.

Just not sure if I should shop for them locally, not sure if I may have a problem finding a local shop to install tires purchased someplace else? Some places are funny that way.

bwamos
02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
You'll be very pleased with the Kenda Klaws. They are very good all around tires.

Fairly light weight also, so you'll get more power to the ground. ;)

I almost always get my tires from Rockymountain.

DANVAN
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
EXCELLENT!, that is what I was hopeing to read. Seems like they get excellent reviews on all the sites and will suit all my riding needs.

Y2daT420
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
YEA I love my 22/11/8 Kenda claws ive never tryed them on reverse rotation yet ...we also have a threeweeler and a bombadier with bear claws they are pretty awsome in the mud ..Ive thought about bolting a pair of bearclaws to my 250x but then i think of a mouse trap effect if i were to be spinning hard and cath a root or somthing lol .............I have had my kenda claws gum up in clay but if u spin them juist hard enough to keep the lugs clean theres no problem

Brauap
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I love my RAZR's! There great for everything. Get awsome grip, but it you still what to slip and slid, and have fun, just lean it to it.

wcbomb
03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
tried the 22 back 23 front combo on my wife's 300 hanlded terrible , decided on 20 inch razr1 on the rear and 21 inch razr2 on the front, handling in woods is awsome with this combo.http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/trowlett/IMG_0214.jpg

klutch
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
22 in the front and 20x11x9 in the rear Razr 2s work great in everything i love them, though for muddier days i have a set of 22x12x9 ITP Mudlites for it and it still runs great.