PDA

View Full Version : Is this good?

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, im 14 and want money to mod my quad. Im gonna start yard work. Hows this advertisement: (phone number blocked for web)

Lawn & Driveway
Services

Responsible 14 year old. Looking to earn money doing your chores!

-Snow Shoveling. I can do your driveway, deck, porch, whatever you like.
-Lawn Care. Specify what you would like done. Cutting grass, getting rid of weeds.

Just name what you want done. Very reasonable pricing.

Call anytime after 3:20 during the week, and anytime on the weekends. My name is Eric.
(201) ***-****

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks good.

Try to make it a little more professional appearing though.

Are you going to put up flyers or what?

250x_kyle
02-24-2008, 07:02 PM
i did this once. i live in the middle of nowhere and my best year i pulled in 11 hundred bucks.

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Looks good.

Try to make it a little more professional appearing though.

Are you going to put up flyers or what?

Im mainly putting it in peoples mailboxes, and then a couple flyers here and there.

How could I make it more professional?

scottsworld
02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
you can cut my grass i hate to do it

JOEX
02-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Im mainly putting it in peoples mailboxes, and then a couple flyers here and there.

How could I make it more professional?
Not so sure about the mail box idea... pretty sure that's illegal

Don't wanna be suspected of mail theft:ermm:

trx400EXtreme
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
you could also contact your local paper and ask for ad space.

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by scottsworld

too far away, lmao

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

I didnt know that:eek:

What if I taped it to the posts that the mailbox is on??

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
you could also contact your local paper and ask for ad space.

Thats a good idea, but I cant drive places. I have a pretty big neighborhood that I don't mind walking.

dpizz450
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Thats a good idea, but I cant drive places. I have a pretty big neighborhood that I don't mind walking.

yeah i think its a good idea. but like suggested above i think it could be a lil more proffessional but idk how lol. yeah going into anyone elses mailbox is like a federal offense :eek2: but props to you for wanting to work at 14 and buy your own things. not to many out there at that age that are willing to do that. i know i wasnt lol.

shadowwalker
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Better off putting them on doors. Mailboxes are trouble.

mittman
02-25-2008, 09:28 AM

how many acres do you have?

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM

What if you just put them in the paper box if there is one?

Hondamaster5505
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Not everyone has a paper box:ermm:

I wanna make money so bad. I plan on doing a complete overhaul on my quad.

02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I am not going to question what you are doing in any way but if I were you I would try to just find a job like I did at age 14. When I was 14 I got a job working for $7.50 an hour over summer and save pretty much all of the money and then at 15 when I went back the next summer I got a raise to $10.00 an hour and got my 450 and everything for it. It seemed to me like it was better to get a job somewhere like a construction company or something and work hard but if you are 14 and dont have the proper connections it might be hard for you to do that so in that case you have a good idea but just remember that big mowing companies charge alot for services so dont do work for nothing.

Hondamaster5505
02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
I am not going to question what you are doing in any way but if I were you I would try to just find a job like I did at age 14. When I was 14 I got a job working for $7.50 an hour over summer and save pretty much all of the money and then at 15 when I went back the next summer I got a raise to $10.00 an hour and got my 450 and everything for it. It seemed to me like it was better to get a job somewhere like a construction company or something and work hard but if you are 14 and dont have the proper connections it might be hard for you to do that so in that case you have a good idea but just remember that big mowing companies charge alot for services so dont do work for nothing.

I was thinkin $35 for a medium normal sized yard. If I charge too much, then I wont get any customers.

Where can you get jobs at 14? I think McDonalds and stuff does it, but I dont know

02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Around here mc donalds starts at 15 because a few of my friends work there but I got a job at a construction company. It all depends how many jobs you get. If you only get a couple jobs then charge a little more but if you get alot then charge pretty good so then if you do a good job you can always ask for a raise or something.

pro-rider46
02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
how does this sounds:

Lawn & Driveway Services

-Snow Shoveling -Driveway, Porch, etc.
-Lawn Care. Grass Maintaining, Weed Removal, Please Specify

Open to suggestions, and alwasy very reasonable

Call anytime after 3:20 during the week, and anytime on the weekends. My name is Eric.
(201) ***-****

Hondamaster5505
02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
how does this sounds:

Lawn & Driveway Services

-Snow Shoveling -Driveway, Porch, etc.
-Lawn Care. Grass Maintaining, Weed Removal, Please Specify

Open to suggestions, and alwasy very reasonable

(201) ***-****

That is better, ill type that one up. thanks.

3exrider23
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
like someoen already said. try and make it more responsible. i wouldnt put your age on there either. for all they know you can work better than alot of the professional buisness' but wotn give you a shot because of yoru age. i started in 7th grade with my brotehr who was in 5th. had 5 lawns that year. know im a sophmore in highschool and last year i had up to 14 lawns. i was stealing alot of the professional places buisness. not bad for a 15 year old

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
say your gonna mow someones lawn, are you gonna bring your own or use theirs?

elmer91
02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r

Wow. started at $7.50. and then a raise. that is pretty good.

Around here, everyone goes to McDonalds, Wendy's, and Krogers to work.

250x_kyle
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
get your self some of this emo grass

Hondamaster5505
02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
say your gonna mow someones lawn, are you gonna bring your own or use theirs?

Of course im using mine, and I think they would understand that. Who goes to houses and says, "Wheres your mower?"

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Of course im using mine, and I think they would understand that. Who goes to houses and says, "Wheres your mower?"

well i wasnt sure, because you said you cant drive, how are you gonna transport it?

dpizz450
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Who goes to houses and says, "Wheres your mower?"

LMAO. haha that really cracked me up. i could picture someone doing that to.:p

dpizz450
02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
well i wasnt sure, because you said you cant drive, how are you gonna transport it?

i think he said above he is just gonna be doing yards in his neighberhood, which he said was a nice size.

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
i think he said above he is just gonna be doing yards in his neighberhood, which he said was a nice size.

nice size as in big, or small though? and is it a tractor or push mower?

02-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Correct you cannot just put things in mailboxes but if i'm not mistaken you can put them on the outside. Not like tape a flyer to their mailbox but just stick it where the flag is or something.

"well i wasnt sure, because you said you cant drive, how are you gonna transport it?"

man if its a rider you ride that down the street, if its a pusher you hope it has the throttle where the wheels spin to and you stand on a skateboard off the back haha i used to do that for kicks and giggles.

Here guys meet steve and you will laugh so hard watch this whole thing its hilarious!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPxIibhcKY&eurl=http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/3616088/

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Lmao......I know my rights I know my rights, Is it illegal to cut grass? My wifes gonna kick ur a$ $! Ahhahahahah

Well back on topic, if it is a rider hes gonna end up like steve lmao

02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
Wow. started at $7.50. and then a raise. that is pretty good.

Around here, everyone goes to McDonalds, Wendy's, and Krogers to work.

Yea its a real nice summer job but its pretty hard work.

mittman
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
the guy in my town rides his lawnmower everywere i seen him 6 miles from his house which is pretty far when your on a lawn mower his girl friend rides with him lol

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 05:55 AM

Im only doing my local neigborhood.

Theres lots of houses with big yards. Im also a little overweight, so the walking to the houses wouldnt hurt:D

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 05:58 AM
nice size as in big, or small though? and is it a tractor or push mower?

Its actually kinda big, and yards are decent sized too.

Im using a puch mower. My dad says if I get enough yards and do a good job at it, he'll start letting me use the ride-on.

440challenger
02-26-2008, 06:03 AM
3.20? is that the exact time you walk into your house after school? Shows Ambition nevertheless! Good luck man, ask your parents if any of their friends need stuff,its a good way to get the ball rolling.

Stevie-D
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
do yourself a favor and find out what the local guys are charging before you give price quotes. i myself would rather give the work to a kid busting his *** to make his own money than a company thats paying a few taco munchers 5/hour to chop some grass. im sure im not the only one who feels that way.

as with anything, if you push yourself, you can make a killing at it. i started off as a clean-up ***** for a costruction co. when i was 14. flash forward 6 years, and im doing interior trim work/ kitchen installation/ custom cabinet building. ive got 3 quads in the garage, a truck i use for work full of tools, a plow truck, etc etc etc.

theres definately money out there to be made.

good luck dude!

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
do yourself a favor and find out what the local guys are charging before you give price quotes. i myself would rather give the work to a kid busting his *** to make his own money than a company thats paying a few taco munchers 5/hour to chop some grass. im sure im not the only one who feels that way.

as with anything, if you push yourself, you can make a killing at it. i started off as a clean-up ***** for a costruction co. when i was 14. flash forward 6 years, and im doing interior trim work/ kitchen installation/ custom cabinet building. ive got 3 quads in the garage, a truck i use for work full of tools, a plow truck, etc etc etc.

theres definately money out there to be made.

good luck dude!

There isnt really any well-known local guys round here. There is a lot of old people though, and i'm sure they don't want to do their lawn or driveway. lol

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
If you are doing this in your own neighborhood, keep your own yard and driveway perfect. Thats free and up to date advertisement. If they drive by and see a half arse job on your yard they will not want you in thiers.

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
If you are doing this in your own neighborhood, keep your own yard and driveway perfect. Thats free and up to date advertisement. If they drive by and see a half arse job on your yard they will not want you in thiers.

lmao. well I have a long driveway that turns and my house is surrounded by woods, so they wont ever see my yard. As far as the driveway, we plow it with our 4x4 quad and it looks pretty good.

mittman
02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
if you work hard you can make lots of money my uncle started cuting grass at 15 now he's 36 and he has a huge landscape business in maryland.
http://www.clearwaterlandscape.com/portfolio.php look at some of the stuff he's doing not bad for starting out with just a push mower.

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
lmao. well I have a long driveway that turns and my house is surrounded by woods, so they wont ever see my yard. As far as the driveway, we plow it with our 4x4 quad and it looks pretty good.

They might come to your house instead of calling.

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
They might come to your house instead of calling.

Only 2 of our neighbors know who I am, the others just see us ride by their house. They wouldnt know where I live, other than being Im local.

300excrazy98
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I do this aswell, but on a slightly larger scale.

One thing you need to think about is, if you have all these accounts, are you going to have time to complete all the jobs each week at all of them? Will you be playing any sports, etc, etc..

One of the biggest factors that you need to take into consideration is wear and tear on your mower. What if your mower breaks halfway through someones lawn? You need another mower ready to go all the time. This was the problem I had when I started. I had a real expensive mower with a lot of hours on it, and it broke, and parts are not cheap at all. I went the next week, saw on craigslist 3 walk behinds for $500. I got all of them, sold one for $1000 and kept the other two. Never had a problem again...

Good Luck your off to a good start.

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98
I do this aswell, but on a slightly larger scale.

One thing you need to think about is, if you have all these accounts, are you going to have time to complete all the jobs each week at all of them? Will you be playing any sports, etc, etc..

One of the biggest factors that you need to take into consideration is wear and tear on your mower. What if your mower breaks halfway through someones lawn? You need another mower ready to go all the time. This was the problem I had when I started. I had a real expensive mower with a lot of hours on it, and it broke, and parts are not cheap at all. I went the next week, saw on craigslist 3 walk behinds for $500. I got all of them, sold one for $1000 and kept the other two. Never had a problem again...

Good Luck your off to a good start.

I got a free push one. Its great and really dependable. We have another newer one that doesnt run, but god forbid mone breaks we'll fix the other one.

02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
when I was 14 I went to work for my dad for like $50 a day then when I was 15 I worked a whole summer of construction and made about $1800 which wasnt to bad but construction is hell work. Now I work with my dad and get like $600 if I work a whole week and the job is amazing working on cars all day :-) many of my friends do yard work and make real good money, all you need is good costumers and many of them. AND DONT BE LAZY!!!!

Hondamaster5505
02-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Polak1035
when I was 14 I went to work for my dad for like $50 a day then when I was 15 I worked a whole summer of construction and made about $1800 which wasnt to bad but construction is hell work. Now I work with my dad and get like $600 if I work a whole week and the job is amazing working on cars all day :-) many of my friends do yard work and make real good money, all you need is good costumers and many of them. AND DONT BE LAZY!!!!

I work for my dad occasionally to being he owns his own business.

Id rather mow lawns though. Pushing bars through a grinder and drilling/tapping is boring as hell