PDA

View Full Version : Too much spring or compression valving?

frozenh2o
11-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Any one know a good way of determining whether a harsh ride is caused by too much spring rate vs. too much compression dampening? I'm trying to make my ride plusher on medium hits, but I don't know how to determine if it's the high speed compression (which isn't adjustable) or just that the spring rate is too high.

11-18-2002, 10:11 PM
I think you are gonna need to give up some more info.

Suspension set up is tricky business and not allways done correctly even by "professionals" and is never black and white cause there are so many variables.

A harsh ride can be caused by both the spring rate and compression (too much or too little) as well as rebound.

A harsh ride is not allways a hard ride as a too soft ride can be harsh as well. I think the major problem is that most all atv's have "el cheapo" suspension componets and are set up for too wide a spectrum of riders (weights, styles etc) and are OK for most but not right for even more.

Try to give some more info on the machine and rider and what "exactly" is it doing to make it feel harsh.

frozenh2o
11-19-2002, 09:03 AM
ok, it's a 300ex with 400ex arms, 16.25" long Elka triple rates (ssd), shock angle and length same as 400ex. Feels ok on small stuff, and just a bit too stiff on big hits. The real problem is on what I'll call medium hits, say a bump six inches high, or small whoops. Real stiff on the first hit, so it's not a rebound issue, but its hard on the arms. Bad enough that it's no fun to ride. Adjusting the low speed compression has little effect. I'm having trouble figuring out if its just too stiff a main spring or if it's overly stiff valving. Appreciate any insight you've got.

11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Hey that helps a lot.

I am not the pro on suspension but I can tell you if either the spring rate or valving is wrong its gonna ride like you describe.

One simple fix that comes to mind is if you accidently have the adjusters set between clicks since i have heard of this causing problems.

Did you get the shocks new? was elka knowing about the swap to the 300ex?

The only way I can think of to try to help you determine if the prob is from the spring rate or valving is to jsust push down on the bumper and feel how much effort it takes going fast v/s slowly. This should let you know that its the springs if there isnt much diff between them.

BUT I would think that you would be better to let the people who will revalve or re spring them to worry about this.

AS far as an opinion I am thinking if the "push down test" seems that the springs are not too stiff to compress the suspension easily then its most likely the valving, but I am leaning towards valving anyway by what you described unless the rider weight is very light.

Good luck