PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know...

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
What the prices are on chromoly tubing?

4130 chromoly, in 1"O.D and 3/4" O.D?

Im thinking 8 foot of each should be enough to make 1 set of +2 +1 A-arms for my 400ex, shouldnt it?

Flyin-Low
02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Making your own a-arms..? This could be interesting lol

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Making your own a-arms..? This could be interesting lol

Im not trying to duplicate like...the pro-trax system on Laegers arms or the Slic-ast system on Housers arms.

They really arent as complicated as they appear.

Take some measurements, get some angles straight and do some math. Then go to town with a bandsaw and a Tig-welder...along with a few other tools...:p

02-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Im not trying to duplicate like...the pro-trax system on Laegers arms or the Slic-ast system on Housers arms.

They really arent as complicated as they appear.

Take some measurements, get some angles straight and do some math. Then go to town with a bandsaw and a Tig-welder...along with a few other tools...:p

lol good luck

02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't make your own a-arms. Ive seen it done, ended up in a big crash due to A-arm failure. And it wasn't because they were made wrong or anything, they looked like Walsh copies.

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Don't make your own a-arms. Ive seen it done, ended up in a big crash due to A-arm failure. And it wasn't because they were made wrong or anything, they looked like Walsh copies.

What were they made of and how were they welded?

You cant weld 4130 with a MIG welder. It wont hold together.

I see no reason why I couldnt build a good sturdy set of a-arms for my 400ex. If I take my time and make sure all my measurements are correct and all my welds are good, then I see no reason why it wont work.

If they break, then I'll get healed up, and buy a set of arms.:ermm:

300ex_#387
02-24-2008, 06:15 PM

I saw a set like that on ebay the other day.

02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
What were they made of and how were they welded?

You cant weld 4130 with a MIG welder. It wont hold together.

I see no reason why I couldnt build a good sturdy set of a-arms for my 400ex. If I take my time and make sure all my measurements are correct and all my welds are good, then I see no reason why it wont work.

If they break, then I'll get healed up, and buy a set of arms.:ermm:

I cant remember what metal it was, since it was like years ago. But he made other parts that looked better than big aftermarket company's. A-arms are way more complicated.

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, im hard-headed...so time will tell.:p

Flyin-Low
02-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Well, im hard-headed...so time will tell.:p

Good luck and I hope it works out for you :D

I gotta say I like your ambition.

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
My dad thinks im crazy too.

Thanks to everyone that wished me good luck.

I'll be sure to post a thread if I actually decide to pursue this.:)

Im trying to figure out the cost-effectiveness of building my own set vs. buying some already pre-made.

02-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Thats what I would be afraid of. I wouldnt trust any a-arms even though they are rather simple made by someone other than a known company. I rather pay the cash then end up in the hospitol or something.

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Thats what I would be afraid of. I wouldnt trust any a-arms even though they are rather simple made by someone other than a known company. I rather pay the cash then end up in the hospitol or something.

Hospitals give you the feel good juice:devil:

Food sucks though:chinese:

And then theres that thing about walking the morning after a major surgery on you previously shattered femur....

that wasnt fun:ermm:

scottsworld
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
to be honest man i am a certified welder and do it for a living but making a arms is to complicated due to proper pivot points and shock location and shock lengh also who is doing the tig welding and pipe bending with the proper tools and so they are accurate

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by scottsworld
to be honest man i am a certified welder and do it for a living but making a arms is to complicated due to proper pivot points and shock location and shock lengh also who is doing the tig welding and pipe bending with the proper tools and so they are accurate

I'll be doing it in the machine shop I work in everyday after school.

I deffinately wont just go straight to throwing them together. I plan on spending alot of time measuring, and testing different things out with some computer software.

I may go standard travel. I will have my stock arms here to look at and base certain things off of.

02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
You should buy a pair of a-arms so you can copy the pair you make off of them. And then when yours break, you can use them! Its a win win situation.

dpizz450
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
hell yeah man good luck. yeah i think it'd take quite alot of time to make right measurements and what not. but if you do go through with it you should deff make a how to thread with pics and what not! that'd be sweet! whats the difference in the pricing looking like comparing doing it yourself to buyin a decent set of aftermarket ones?

dpizz450
02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
and plus if you do go through with it and they come out decent you always have the bragging right of you makin your own a arms and that just always feels better and more accomplishing. "hey man what kinda a arms are those, those are sweet!" "home made, made them myself" ha