PDA

View Full Version : DVX400 vs Honda 400ex

sprayedgt
02-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm gunna buy one of these in the next few weeks. OK guys give me the pros and cons between the 2. Is the Artic Cat faster, more durable, trouble free??? Fill me in guys. I want to make the right choice. BTW the bike will be ridden on trails 99% of the time and the occasional jumps here and there. Thanks in advance!!

4R3AL
02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Their both super good trail bikes. the 400ex is more torquey and heavier. the dvx is lighter and prolly has more topend. all depends on how you ride and both bikes are really good. you cant go wrong with either really

cataway
02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
if i can assume your talking new i would say go with the dvx.

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I love my 07 400ex and would definately recommend it. The only real maintenance after break-in is cleaning the air/oil filters and changing the oil. It has alot of torque and is a wheely monster.

I have never ridden a dvx, but the general consensus on this site is that they have a taller top-end and around 3-4 extra hp, and they are liquid cooled.

I do not think the 400ex being air-cooled is a problem, it has not been for me and I have abused it on the trails.

Handling seems to be a subjective category, but I love the feel of the 400ex, but I have not been on a dvx.

Pros of 400ex: Most Durable Sport Bike on the Market

Cons: Less hp than DVX400/z400

indyZrider
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 4R3AL
Their both super good trail bikes. the 400ex is more torquey and heavier. the dvx is lighter and prolly has more topend. all depends on how you ride and both bikes are really good. you cant go wrong with either really

the dvx is more torquey than the dinosaur 400ex. i have both and youll be happier with the dvx imo............

4R3AL
02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
stock? no way in hell maybe with a 13t front and 44t rear sprocket

sprayedgt
02-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Well the 3-4 hp difference is nothing a full exhaust, jet kit and filter couldn't take care of. I just haven't seen any of these out on the trails I ride on and was wondering if there was a reason for it. Dropping $6k on something I may not be happy with is not something I really want to do. I'll most likely take a test drive on a DVX Tuesday when I'm at the dealer.

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
The 400ex is an original, so I would not call it old.

Compare the specs for yourself, Keep in mind the the 400ex is curb weight, which is ready to ride with a full tank of gas and all fluids needed, and the dvx is dry weight with no gas so you would need to add about 25-30 pounds for that.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_vehicle_compare.asp?vehicle1=53832&year2=2008

And one of the reasons the 400ex feels like it has so much torque is because of the instantaneous throttle response and and it "pulls" harder in the lower rpm's. With the dvx, alot of the power comes in the upper rpm range which can require more clutchwork especially on a tight trail.

DualCammerZ
02-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I would go with the DVX read dirt wheels latest mag out there is a right up in there it might be last months now! Well its about the z400 same thing, and compared to a 400ex there is so much more shocks with resivors, suspension is better more ground clearence. There a decently quicker also there is more than a 3hp difference too. I beleive the z400 is like 6 horse off most the 450s now its liquid cooled, which is a big plus if you in the dunes all day riding hard! I own both quads z400 and 400 ex, and hands down z400 is my choice!

07TRX400ex- your right it is original it needs updates shocks, liquid, dont get me wrong there a nice quad and realiable but vs the z400/dvx400 the z takes the cake!

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I would not recommend reading Dirt Wheels unless you are a Suzuki fan.

By the way, the 400ex has 34.2 hp at the crank and the z400 has 36.6 hp at the crank.

The glaring weakness of the 400ex in my opinion is the stock suspension. The rear can be tuned but the front shocks are not up to snuff.

Go to this link for hp number the California Environmental Protection Agency tests these machines for emissions purposes. If you know the engine size and how to convert kw to hp then you can determine the hp.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2008/2008.php

DualCammerZ
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
the z400 has like a hair under 39 to be honest with you seen it on the dyno! The way i wacked 400 exs there is more than 3hp when im a big guy!

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Dude, I am not saying that I don't believe your dyno results, but their are way too many variables on a dyno.

What type of dyno was this?
(brake dyno or inertia dyno)
was it designed to test the engine or the chassis?

Was it corrected for atmospheric test conditions?

What kind of test was done?
Steady State or Sweep Test?
If a sweep test was done what type?
Fixed Load Sweep Test or Controlled Accelleration Sweep Test(active load control)?

Dyno results can be manipulated.

DualCammerZ
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
factory even reveals there right around 39 read up on it im not lying ive just seen dynos to prove it! research it look at all the test's.

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Give me a link. I have shown you from a government source the numbers and you are just throwing these out from alleged dyno results. If you have the numbers then post a link for them.

Also even though the 400ex front shocks are "outdated" it is still arguably a better handling quad due to a lower ride height.

indyZrider
02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
who cares about dyno numbers? each dyno is different anyway! do you have a z400? as stated before i HAVE both and the Z,KFX,DVX whatever trim you want to call it will whip the antiquated ex anyday. i would like to know what you are talking about with quick reaction on the throttle. the ex does NOT pull harder and ive never known 2.9 gallons of gas to weigh 30 pounds. you sound very biased about your recreational vehicles. and wth does dirt wheels have to do with suzuki?

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
One gallon of gasoline is equal to 6.5 pounds and the dvx may be faster in a drag race but other than that it really comes down to how comfortable you are with your own machine. What I am suggesting is to at least get on the seat and drive both of them if you can because just because on is a little quicker in a drag race does not mean you will like it better and does not make a "better" quad.

From other people who have had both the z and the ex most of them say that the ex has better throttle response and and the power is alot broader curve in the power band. The z needs to be revved higher to reach the sweet spot in the power band.

Ricchezza
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
If your gonna buy either one of them new, just get a nice like 1 year old 450 and kill the 400s that way just my opinion i dont feel like having people spit at me

Ricchezza
02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
i thought a gallon was 8 pounds. Or is that jst water?

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Water is 8.33 and gasoline is 5.8 to 6.5 actually.

Ricchezza
02-24-2008, 08:17 PM
hmm thats good to know, and honestly if you are gonna get a 400 the ex has way more mod possibilities then the dvx im pretty sure. Hondas always did have the most mods even when it comes to 50s and civics lol

cataway
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
isn't the ex a girls quad ? yano the quad ya by your girl friend so you will know she wont smoke your Z ?

kellymi
02-25-2008, 07:02 AM
They are both great quads. The main difference is liquid cooling and better suspension on the Z/DVX. When I was looking for a new wheeler a year ago I looked at both the 400ex and Z/DVX400. I ended up getting a DVX and it was a great choice. I have raced it for a year now and so far it has been bullet proof. Also the z motor has a good amount of torque also. I constantly lug it in 2nd during the races. They both have a lot of aftermarket support, and they both have about the same amount of mods available.

The 400's will do anything a 450 will, just not win any drag races. In the trees I have beat many 450's on a bone stock 400.

If you are looking at the Z/DVX the only difference is the seat and the plastics. The Z has a better seat then the DVX. In my opinion the DVX looks better, but the Z plastic offers a lot more splash protection.

You won't go wrong with the 400ex or Z/DVX, but I am obviously biased towards the Z/DVX.

Im a 21 year old male and I have no shame riding the 400EX or Z/DVX when everyone I know rides at least a 450.

yellow400ex05
02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
shootouts are based soley on their overall opinion on the machine.

and this is all the same for the DVX 400 so I jsut put z400 since it is what i have experience.

Alright anyway, I'll try and give my best unbiased opinion on this as much as I can.

Stock for stock a z400 will beat a 400ex by at least 1 quad length. The 400ex handles better because it has a lower stance which allows it to corner better, and to some people feel safer at higher speeds.

The 400ex has a bulletproof air-cooled SOHC engine it may have old tech, but it holds its own against the z400 considerably well considering the disadvantages it has. The modifications in some way are cheaper and it is easier to work on due to the older technology. The 400ex also has lots of torque stock, and is great for trails and slower trail riding.

THe z400 has a more modern DOHC liquid cooled engine making it run much cooler, which is what provied it the slight edge against the EX. They are very snappy and rev out a little faster. The only complaint I have about then is they sit higher and lack torque, also more difficult to work on IMO.

and yes I have ridden and worked on both. The power of the z400's come all moslty up top, the 400ex's have mostly all around power with more torque off the bottom than the z400.

NRPkfx400
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Watch the video half way down the page

http://www.********.com/machines/kawasaki/kfx400-05.htm#

if the hyperlink doesnt work then where the *** are type in ********

NRPkfx400
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
it wont let me type in A T V S C E N E

07trx400ex
02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Probably because that is a competing site.

dpizz450
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
didnt really read anyone elses replys but ill give you a little bit of my opinion and input...

stock for stock or modded they are both GREAT quads especially for trails. probably the two best trail bikes out there IMO. the ex has been around for a while and is an extremely reliable quad. dont get me wrong though i love my KFX400 (Same exact thing as dvx). the dvx/z/kfx might be just a TAD BIT more maintence but not much. thats just because they are a little newer and alittle more high tech. they've improved them since they came out and worked out all the bugs and they are quite a reliable quad.

the dvx is liquid cooled while the ex is kinda outdated on the air cooling. i think the dvx/z/kfx rides a little smoother. stock for stock they have about the same power and the dvx is just a few mph on top end. they both make great for mods.

i love my KFX and would never switch over to a EX. but its ALL in personal preference. you really need to sit down on both and feel which ever one you are more comftorable on. and ride both if you can. they're both great quads and both ride great. it all comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE. theyre both great quads and you cant go wrong either way.

if you need to know anything else just ask or search. they have ENDLESS amount of info and topics on this. good luck. let us know what you get and how you like it.

dpizz450
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ricchezza
hmm thats good to know, and honestly if you are gonna get a 400 the ex has way more mod possibilities then the dvx im pretty sure. Hondas always did have the most mods even when it comes to 50s and civics lol

are you serious? you really think that the EX has more mods out then the Z? they BOTH deff have endless possibilities and if anything the Z has more mods.

Ricchezza
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
ok yzrida or whatever your ghettofied name is even though you live in lousiana uhm i just want to say that i said pretty sure. I NEVER SAID POSITIVE geez. Also everyone has their own opinion calm down and stop spitting at me dont you have something better to do everyone on here has been saying there opinion and if they differ ok its an opnion until you cam and had to get all up tight about it get a life.

sprayedgt
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Well I really didn't mean to start all the arguing about what one is better. I have taken all your opinions and trust me I really do appreciate it because the dealers are all going to tell me that what they sell is the best and don't really give a crap about my personal needs. But after all the research I've done, reading on this and many other boards, magazines, and personal experiences from friends of mine, I've decided to go with the 400ex. The cost factor is sooo much better with the Honda. A dealer in NC is getting me an '08 model for $5,314 + tax :D Not bad at all since no other dealers will come one cent off the msrp anywhere. Thanks for all your help. I'm putting a deposit on a red/black one tomorrow and hoping to take delivery in the next few weeks:D

07trx400ex
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Congratulations, I made the same choice, for the same reasons on my 07( I love the 08 plastics though).
:devil:

You will be very impressed with the smooth power, oh and by the way this quad is an absolute wheely monster.

Ricchezza
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
awesome and good for you. 400ex is my personal favorite

indyZrider
02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
good you made a choice. now go over to the ex forum and take ricotta cheese with ya!

4R3AL
02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
good you made a WRONG choice. now go over to the ex forum and take ricotta cheese with ya!

zracer16
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I agree with 4R3AL. The front suspension of the Z is worth the extra premium you would have paid for it. I have owned both and the Z has WAAAAAAY better front suspension than the EX. I hope you like getting beat up on rough terrain.

sprayedgt
02-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I already purchased 450r front shocks to go on it. Should make it handle waaaay better than a z400 now;) Oh and the full exhaust, jet kit and filter is also on its way. And I still have less in it than the z400 would have cost:p

4R3AL
02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
dont wanna burst your bubble but the shocks on a 450 and a new dvx are the same.. but GOOD LUCK! seemin as still a piped and jetted 400ex wont run with a z

07trx400ex
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I would not worry about that man, you will still outhandle him, and beat him in acceleration, up until the top-end. Good Choice on the ex!!

I have had mine for a few months and am still trying to get those mods.

zracer16
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
07TRX, have you ever owned a Z. Like I said, I have owned both and the EX does not handle better than the Z period and as for acceleration, when I owned the EX a friend of mine and myself raced and I am a much better rider than him and weigh like 70 lbs less, and I beat him off the line(because I am the better rider), but then he blew by me and I was giving the EX all it had. I have raced many EXs with my Z and I have yet to be beaten. So don't make comments on something you know nothing about.

nastynotchback1
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
i own the z in my sig now and the 400 is long gone.all i will say is i wish i still had my 400.the z is a nice decked out quad but i prefered the way the 400 rode better

sprayedgt
02-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Stock for stock the z400 might be a little more "high tech", but who cares. At the end of the day it's still a Honda and will most likely give me not one minute of trouble if I take care of it. As far as it being underpowered and "outdated", I think less than a 2hp difference between the two machines doesn't show much for the z in any way. If the engine is superior, then it should be far more superior in the power department when it's up against old technology. And I bet most people would say that 2hp is hardly a obstacle to overcome. I got the 450r shocks to give it a better ride, not to race it. I trail ride 99% of the time and unless you can somehow pass me on the trail, going around me through the trees, bushes, and whatever else you'll hit trying to pass me while I'm on the trail, go ahead and do it cuz I could use a really nice laugh:D

indyZrider
03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
pffff..........

TheNewn
03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
Stock for stock the z400 might be a little more "high tech", but who cares. At the end of the day it's still a Honda and will most likely give me not one minute of trouble if I take care of it. As far as it being underpowered and "outdated", I think less than a 2hp difference between the two machines doesn't show much for the z in any way. If the engine is superior, then it should be far more superior in the power department when it's up against old technology. And I bet most people would say that 2hp is hardly a obstacle to overcome. I got the 450r shocks to give it a better ride, not to race it. I trail ride 99% of the time and unless you can somehow pass me on the trail, going around me through the trees, bushes, and whatever else you'll hit trying to pass me while I'm on the trail, go ahead and do it cuz I could use a really nice laugh:D

Well in my opinion, you made the wrong decision. While you found a cheaper deal on a 400EX (wow that guy went low on a brand new one, they must like you or they must not be selling the 400EX's!, hah) both quads MSRP for the exact same price.

Pro's on the Z400:

More powerful high tech motor (I personally disagree with EVERYTHING anyone said about it having LESS torque anywhere compared to an EX).

Motor also responds better to after market parts.

Suspension is much better.

Pro's of the 400EX

Easier chain adjustment.

Thats about it.

I OWN a 400EX and a good friend of mine owns a Z400. I'd send the 400EX speeding towards a cliff, jump off, get up, hop on the Z400 and drive off without a second thought.

Also, unless you bought those 450R shocks pre-revalved for your specs. They are going to be stiff as a Mofo until you do. the ride quality will not be better. It'll jar you just as bad as stock if not worse in the trail stuff.

The Z always has been 2 steps ahead of the 400EX (First power and reverse gear, and then power and suspension) and unless Honda redesigns it, always will be.

Oh well, enjoy your antique.

sprayedgt
03-03-2008, 02:00 AM
The price I got it for is their everyday price. They're the nations largest Honda dealer so I'd say they turn them over pretty quick. The 450r shocks will be adjusted for my weight before they are put on. Every magazine I've read, personal friends of mine, and even the DEALERS that sell both Honda AND Suzuki say the 400EX makes more down low than the Z400 but the Z makes more up high. Maybe the one you rode was a one of a kind special engine, who knows :rolleyes: I rode both of them back to back and I just did not like the way the Z felt plain and simple. Plus the reliability issues with the Z that I've heard about from friends that work on them at the Honda/Suzuki dealership ultimately led to my decision.

zracer16
03-03-2008, 07:39 AM
The Honda more reliable? Whatever! I rode the heck out of my Z for 4 years and did not maintain it like I should have and did not have one single issue. I rebuilt the motor, for racing, about a year ago and my mechanic said the motor looked great. The EX was a whole other story. So people can say what they want, but I have experienced them both first hand and the Z RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellow400ex05
03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
don't try and put him down and tell him he made the WORST decision. sprayedgt jsut head over to the 400ex section where the nice people are, they are just upset because you chose what they didn't want you to get. You get the handling geometry of the legendary 250r and a bulletproof engine along with good overall performance. I too wanted a kfx for the longest time then i read reviews and talked to my friends and I pretty much saw that the 400ex was the better choice for me and knowing that everyone who owns one was not one bit disappointed in thier desicion. I have a friend with an 07 400ex he got it back in september and changed the oil in it twice and does wheelies non stop jsut dums oil in it whenever and it runs like a champ and he's rolled it multiple times and only bent the handlebars a little bit, sitll going strong now. not even a crack in the plastics either.

and my antique made a huge impact on the atv market and it is what kept it going, and will somday be as sought after as the 250r but not for a while. plus the Z eats cam chains, and valve adjustments are frequently needed.

zracer16
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey buddy,
Are you even reading the posts. I never once put him down. We were only making comments and had reasons to back up what we were saying. I was very dissappointed in my decision to buy the EX, so not everyone(as u stated) wasn't dissappointed in their decision. As far as getting upset. Please, I could care less. I was only stating facts from my personal experience.

The bottom line is he now owns a quad and I hope he enjoys it.

NRPkfx400
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I like them both and if i didnt have a choice id take either one so...:)

coryatver
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
if you have to get a dvx400 get a z becuase the arctic cats plastic is a joke and the fender clamps are junk

TheNewn
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05

and my antique made a huge impact on the atv market and it is what kept it going, and will somday be as sought after as the 250r but not for a while. plus the Z eats cam chains, and valve adjustments are frequently needed.

Honestly, does it really matter what the 400EX did or did not do for the sport? this thread is comparing two machines to eachother. Honda made it first, Suzuki made it better. That's just about the bottom line.

The 250R is an 'antique' too, i have one, just because the 400EX revitalized the sport quad industry does not mean it has +5 horse power and +3 to suspension travel.

Oh well, im sure he'll enjoy the 400EX. Its not a BAD quad, the Z is just better.

4R3AL
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Just realized somethin bout the 400ex. Stock the 400ex is puttin out 27hp? my riding LAWNMOWER, just to make it clear RIDING lAwNMoWEr....RIDING LAWNMOWER. is puttin out 30horses.. RIDING LAWNMOWER. So congrats man. have fun with a machine that my RIDING LAWNMower, has got power on. you made a fantastic descion

guess now you be doing alotta this now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIflNrq29Ss

sprayedgt
03-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Just to clear up the power debate the Suzuki makes 36.6hp and the Honda makes 34.2hp. Go here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2008/2008.php and see for yourself. Congrats on the high horsepower lawn mower:rolleyes: Maybe with a suspension upgrade you can MX with it:p

BlasterEaten250
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by indyZrider
the dvx is more torquey than the dinosaur 400ex. i have both and youll be happier with the dvx imo............ I also have both and I don't agree with this at all. The ex's are definately more torquey. The Z's have more top end.

I would rather have the Z in a cross country race and I would rather have the ex in a mx race. I like the z's smooth powerband which is nice in the woods and the ex seems harder hitting. Top end its the other way around.

TheNewn
03-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Before there was the LTR, people were racing 450 versions of the Z400 and often enough WINNING against the 450R and YFZ. in MX and everything.

Try that on a 400EX. No chance.

rcatvrider
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I ride with z's all the time and have ridden with someone on a 400ex. He beats the crap outta the completely stock ex, huge jumps, endless wheelies and bicycles and it still runs great. The z's/kfx's are fast stock, and the 05's handle quite well stock with the shocks properly adjusted. If you know how to use a clutch well, you will do well on the trails. I know someone who doesn't do well with a clutch and gets stuck everywhere.

It cracks me up when some of you guys whine about the 400ex's suspension. I ride a 450lb 300 with little caster and worn shocks with extremely slow compression on all new england trails(rocks, roots, ruts) and don't say a think. Doesn't matter what you ride unless you're racing, if you're having fun a good running quad then you're set.

RATPACK Z400
03-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Ive dragged many ex with my Z and beat them by alot of quad lenths not just one and they all rode quads longer than me! Ive had an ex it got stolen then I got Z and was very impressed with its performance compared to the ex ,first thing was tires ,changed them and airfilter was first thing I did it was like night and day difference. the ex is a great quad but no match for Z anywhere like someone said a modded Z beat the 250r,yfz450,450r,and all the hybrid 450s that were out at the time in mx thats saying something for the Z400 its the best choice period!

DementeD
04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
well..ill say this to add to this thread even though it was almost dead :D

the z400 may be faster and better suspension
however i did a lot of reading and talking with people etc about this bike vs the 400ex

and well..u can search all over the internet right now and find everywhere the 400ex is the most reliable motor...
and to me thats the most important thing

i dont think drag racing is that important..im mean honestly if u want to drag then get something better then a 400ex or z400..theres plenty **** out there that will make the 400 look horrible

ive also noticed the people with Z's are so far on the z's dick they cant be anything but dick..

z400 isnt godly at all..
if anything the 400ex is not only legendary but probably the most reliable sport quad ever made..

anyway to the OP..enjoy ur 400ex..beat the **** out of it and have no worry

also ignore the haters on the Z's..truly inside they are just unhappy with there bikes

nastynotchback1
04-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Ive dragged many ex with my Z and beat them by alot of quad lenths not just one and they all rode quads longer than me! Ive had an ex it got stolen then I got Z and was very impressed with its performance compared to the ex ,first thing was tires ,changed them and airfilter was first thing I did it was like night and day difference. the ex is a great quad but no match for Z anywhere like someone said a modded Z beat the 250r,yfz450,450r,and all the hybrid 450s that were out at the time in mx thats saying something for the Z400 its the best choice period!

first off look at my sig.i have owned both and like i said before i would rather have my 400 back over the z i have now.the z makes more power no doubt.my 400 made 40 and the z makes 53 but the 400 rode better to me and it didn't have the long travel like i have now.it was way more reliable other than the trans but that issue was resolved before i sold it.my z has been broke more than it has run.when it runs it's great but it stays broke all the freakin time.another thing is how can you even compare all those bikes to each other.doug gust is one of the best riders out there if not the best so don't say the z was leaps and bounds better because it out ran all those bikes with #55 on it.put him on 1 of those others and place another great rider on his and i bet gust will still come out on top.

TheNewn
04-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm going to ASSume some things to the poster above me.

#1, i'm going to assume you built that 400EX from stock or at least had it a long time and did most of the mods to it.

#2, being an 03 and you're 'new' bike, im going to assume you did NOT build up that Z400 yourself.

It seems like you're not taking everything into account. The Z400 is USED and MODDED (13:5 to 1 comp Ect.) and was probably raced. It isnt right to compare the reliability of the two motors you're comparing. The 400EX is less modded than the Z, lower compression, probably not raced as hard.

The suspension isnt/wasnt set up for YOU if you bought it used (unless it has been revalved since) and the 400EX was (assuming you did the mods yourself).

People were on here comparing a STOCK 400EX to a STOCK Z400, both brand new, never raced. At least I was.

Shouldn't compare a beat up old first year raced Z400 to your modded 400EX. For all you know the racer/previous owner never did anything maintenance wise for that quad and you got stuck with the result.

nastynotchback1
04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
I'm going to ASSume some things to the poster above me.

#1, i'm going to assume you built that 400EX from stock or at least had it a long time and did most of the mods to it.

#2, being an 03 and you're 'new' bike, im going to assume you did NOT build up that Z400 yourself.

It seems like you're not taking everything into account. The Z400 is USED and MODDED (13:5 to 1 comp Ect.) and was probably raced. It isnt right to compare the reliability of the two motors you're comparing. The 400EX is less modded than the Z, lower compression, probably not raced as hard.

The suspension isnt/wasnt set up for YOU if you bought it used (unless it has been revalved since) and the 400EX was (assuming you did the mods yourself).

People were on here comparing a STOCK 400EX to a STOCK Z400, both brand new, never raced. At least I was.

Shouldn't compare a beat up old first year raced Z400 to your modded 400EX. For all you know the racer/previous owner never did anything maintenance wise for that quad and you got stuck with the result.

your right on the 400.i bought it new and built it up.the z i bought used but i worked on it for the previous owner (who bought it new)and his son is the same weight as me.after reading what i posted i guess what i wanted to say and what i typed are 2 different thing. the jumping and landing is better on the long travel but the ex just felt better over all to me for what ever reason.the only difference in the ex motor and the z motor was the compression.there is alot more that was done to the ex that is not posted just like the z has alot more done.oh yeah i rode the ex very hard.probably harder than the z because i had'nt been broken up so bad at that time. i can't ride that hard anymore.the z is not an old beat up race quad.it has been taken care of very well and other than needing some new plastic it's in good shape.it had some valve train issues that have been resolved and right now it it has an issue i have not resolved yet.if you look at the post i quoted you will see that that guy was comparing modded quads.

DementeD
04-05-2008, 06:53 PM
comparing the comp. is also not something u can do directly

the z400 with it being liquid cooled can do higher compression vs the air cooled 400ex

so u cant quite compare them there since u may have more heat with a 400ex at 11:1 compared to a z400 at 13.5:1..

and we all know heat is what the worry is when it comes to high comp

dpizz450
04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Ricchezza
ok yzrida or whatever your ghettofied name is even though you live in lousiana uhm i just want to say that i said pretty sure. I NEVER SAID POSITIVE geez. Also everyone has their own opinion calm down and stop spitting at me dont you have something better to do everyone on here has been saying there opinion and if they differ ok its an opnion until you cam and had to get all up tight about it get a life.

get a life? i work full time, go to college part time and in my other time get laid, party, and ride. now what were you saying? your tellin me to get a life? how about you call me when you get outta high school, kiddo! and what does me livin in LA have to do with anything?

Iliketogofast
04-06-2008, 08:28 AM
400ex's are dogs compared to z400's, I had a 400ex with a full pro-circuit exhaust, uni filter and was jetted to perfection and my bros stock kfx400 beat the dog crap outta that thing all day long, there was no comparison at all.

DementeD
04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
once again i still dont believe that top end is the only importance to the comparison

reliability over all else imo
which seems like the people who enjoy the Z's dont care much for reliability
i guess it goes the same with people that like the LT1's :D

rcatvrider
04-06-2008, 03:08 PM
If you get the 05 and newer kfx's and z's they're just as reliable as any other bike. I'm a honda fan, but my buddy on an 05 kfx has never had a problem. It has a fmf q2 with powerbomb, jet kit, and twinair filter and it rips. My buddy on an 03 has has a few minor problems, but nothing major. Any issues have been updated on the newer ones. My buddy on a 400ex has beaten the crap outta that thing for years and it still runs strong, it's dying for a valve adjustment though.

zracer16
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Demented, you are ignorant. I have owned both and the Z is just as reliable as an EX.

also ignore the haters on the Z's..truly inside they are just unhappy with there bikes
Oh really, your the one that brought up an old thread. I think it is you who is unhappy with your bike and you had to come into the Z forum and talk crap to make yourself feel better.

TheNewn
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I'M A TWELVE YEAR OLD GIRL THROWING A HISSY FIT!!!

DementeD
04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
im ignorant..hahahahah
look at all the guys with the z's and reread there posts..not one can be nice about the 400ex..

all you can do is bash them..and im ignorant?

and is it just as reliable??...hmm id really DOUBT that..i know 5 people that i grew up with that have z400s and NOT ONE hasnt had some type of trouble...so i guess if regularly visiting the shop is normal then yea..they are reliable..

fast top end, yes...reliable as the 400ex..the answer is simply NO..
You own both ...but ur OPINION is about as reliable as ur z400..
so ill just ignore it :)

RATPACK Z400
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Got my Z400 in april 2002 for $ 5200 out the door cash ,Ive ridden it hard for 6 yrs no motor problems yet! NEVER been beat by 400ex Except a 502ex ,Ive had both quads both are great quads but the Z is SO much better in all depts. top ends 10mph, faster in drags beat exs by many lenths not just one, better handling etc. YOU made a your choice and will understand your mistake later when you ride with other quads. when your the slowest of the bunch HAHA! just kidding!

zracer16
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey Dementard, did you even read my posts on here. I have two Zs and have not had a single problem with them (I don't know about you, but that's pretty damn reliable in my book), but then again I know how to take care of my stuff, unlike your friends obviously. Everything I stated in my posts were from my own experiences with both quads. So you can say whatever, it means nothing to me. I know the truth.

DementeD
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
my friends know how to take care of there **** as well..i dont know much about the z's as far as the years/issues that go along with them but 3 of the guys had 03s brand new from factory and i believe the other two are 04s

but it doesnt matter..kid made the right choice imo and the thread should be dead...

sprocket226
04-09-2008, 12:38 AM
LOL, didn't we go through this 400EX vs. Z400 (DVX) thing like 5 years ago? :D
Hey, they're both good machines.
Have fun on the trails!

rebdc69
04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
i have ridden both of them an they are both nice bikes.
but i would go with the 400ex. you put less money in it for the greatest performance. that i no that the honda is the most reliable.

z40021
04-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
and will somday be as sought after as the 250r but not for a while. plus the Z eats cam chains, and valve adjustments are frequently needed.

Are you Fing retarded??????

1st off, the 250r is sought after cause it hase the best MX frame geometry, and is still 1 of the best atvs their is. the EX will never be saught after!!!!! Plain and simple.

2nd, do you have a z to say that about? Cause the only time I have ever adjusted my valves was when I put in my hot cams. And I ran the stock cam chain for the first 3 yrs without a probleme. and 2 of the yrs was with a 440BB, st2 oldstyle hotcams, rev box, K&N, Rossier full exuast and alot of ther mods.

I aint gonna say abunch of chit about his decission other than the Z is worth the extra $.

TheNewn
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
The 400EX has been made for what? 9 years now? There's a crap load of them floating around, they will never be as sought after as the 250R was in its prime (from 1987-2003ish) and it was only made until 89.

yellow400ex05
04-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by z40021
Are you Fing retarded??????

1st off, the 250r is sought after cause it hase the best MX frame geometry, and is still 1 of the best atvs their is. the EX will never be saught after!!!!! Plain and simple.

2nd, do you have a z to say that about? Cause the only time I have ever adjusted my valves was when I put in my hot cams. And I ran the stock cam chain for the first 3 yrs without a probleme. and 2 of the yrs was with a 440BB, st2 oldstyle hotcams, rev box, K&N, Rossier full exuast and alot of ther mods.

I aint gonna say abunch of chit about his decission other than the Z is worth the extra $.

I admit what I said about the 400ex being sought after was a kinda out there, and guess what a 400ex was based off of 250r geometry.. but yes my brother owned a z400 and my cousin owns one and another friend and I can happily say I've ridden Z's worked on them.. All three of my friends with the Z's had to get a new cam chain... and two of them got valve adjustments.. I've been around Z's longer than I have with my 400ex..

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I can tell you One thing the Z WAS the reason why the 250r got beat on the track it was the first 4-stroke to do it ! Was,nt the 400ex ! then yami,honda etc went to drawning boards to create there 4-stroke thumpers as well.THANKS TO SUKUKI ! Now we can have a Great selection of quads to chose from! The Z got the other manufactors *****,s in gear period .

450rJam
04-20-2008, 09:55 AM
theNewn, just let it go................. he already go the ex

but............if the z was "often enough" winning vs the trx/yfz's

they should go back to the Z's because honda ownes the podiums still

so now your saying the z400's could beat the other 450's but the ltr cant ?

you guys live in a toilet ? because you sure love to stir shizt

liquid cooling is better (no one argues that)

the 400ex motor has not changed since 99
(other than adding reverse)

is it old tech ? yes, hell yes
know what ??????????? it still out-sells the z/kfx/dvx

the 400ex subframe/grab bar sucks
the dvx frame is weak
that chain adjustment on dvx is a joke
they are close enough on power to let the best rider win

dry weight is not just -fuel, its "no fluids"
its
dry radiator / dry fuel tank / dry brakes / dry shocks / dry battery
no liquid anything (most are now stating "real" weight)

TheNewn
04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
The 400EX has a 'curb' weight now on the Honda site, instead of a DRY weight. Curb weight being it sitting there full of fluids and ready to ride.

Perhaps that confuses you.

Where are you getting that the LTR cant win races?

http://www.suzuki-racing.com/news_page.aspx?SRS_ID=28&OBJ_ID=8587

To copy some of whats said there

The team is still holding the top three spots in the points race with a commanding lead by Wimmer with 134 points; Gust with 113 and Wienen with 89.

Who says the LTR can't beat other 450's?

450rJam
04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
best of the best
07 atv championships: trx450r

AMA Pro ATV Motocross Series: Joe Byrd
AMA National Hare and Hound: Wayne Matlock
ATVA Woman's Devision: Angela Butler
Best in the Desert(BITD) Series ATV overall: Matlock/Prull
Extreme Dirt Track ATVA Nationals,Pro AM Class: Harold Goodman
Extreme Dirt Track ATVA Nationals, Pro Production Class: Goodman
OMA Nationals ATV: Andy Lagzdins
S.C.O.R.E. overall ATV points title: Mike Cafro/Danny Prather
WPSA Women's Division: Angela Butler
WSPA SuperQuad Pro 450 Series: John Natalie

you said "often enough" that before the ltr, that the z400 was beating the trx/yfz

im saying why did they even make a ltr then ?
if it was good enough ?

the reason honda has not gone to efi/liquid cooling aluminum framed 400ex is because the more complicated it gets the more things there are to go wrong

bigH
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
wow this is rediculous....both quads are nice and can be made faster then another....stock for stock the z wins in a drag but not by that many lengths like some people were saying....a piped 400ex is about equal to a stock z400....IMO that ex outhandles the z400 but thats just a personal choice....when i put the 416 in the 400ex it made a huge difference....every z400 i have raced i have beaten so far....im sure a bored out z such as a 440 will take my bike but damn i still have fun on the 400ex....its a old engine honda has kept it the way it because its very reliable and now that 450's beat the z400,kfx 400,dvx400, and 400ex's *** whats the point of completely redoing the quad?????

bigH
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
wow this is rediculous....both quads are nice and can be made faster then another....stock for stock the z wins in a drag but not by that many lengths like some people were saying....a piped 400ex is about equal to a stock z400....IMO that ex outhandles the z400 but thats just a personal choice....when i put the 416 in the 400ex it made a huge difference....every z400 i have raced i have beaten so far....im sure a bored out z such as a 440 will take my bike but damn i still have fun on the 400ex....its a old engine honda has kept it the way it because its very reliable and now that 450's beat the z400,kfx 400,dvx400, and 400ex's *** whats the point of completely redoing the quad?????

TheNewn
04-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Obviously that isnt a serious question, I'm going to just glaze over it just in case you really wanted an answer. Suzuki made the LTR because it would sell. And it has been. Pretty simple.

Who won in 06?

450rJam
04-21-2008, 04:23 AM
2006 was an awesome year..................

it was tight right to the end,

4 men different men where still in it,
(gust, jones, natalie, wimmer)

too bad jones and natalie where injured

but to answer your question gust won it

you know who won the other national titles ?

RATPACK Z400
04-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Doug Gust has won 1999{Zmotor} 2003 and 2004 championships almost two in 2003 in pro and production and that year running again,st 450crfs and 426 motors in aftermaket frames and has placed first or second every year till the 450 came out there was no 400ex in the pro class winning championships or placing the podiom in pro mx series that Iv,e heard of but could be wrong?the guy has placed first or second for the past 9yrs!thats very good if you ask me .

450rJam
04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
your not going to get an argument from me about doug gust

the guys skill level is off the charts, no doubt that he is good

and he is an old timer

who else you got?

Pipeless416
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
haha wow, i vote this as being the worst thread ever. sprayedgt, congrats on your purchase, which happened a while ago.. anyway, as another person who has and rides both models, i'll give it from my perspective. the ex handles better when ridden aggressively hands down. the z is just too tall and spongy feeling. the z's do have a better engine for riding wide open, fast areas. the ex has a better engine for more technical trails, as the torque is way better in the lower rpms. the z has the advantage by a long shot in the upper revs. the 400ex is so much easier to maintain, but the z can go longer in between things like valve adjustments.. all in all, both are nice, both have their benefits and disadvantages. i love cornering hard, so the ex suits me (especially with +2 arms and a +4 axle :D ) my dad loves his z because it rides smoother.. though its in for a new cam chain at this very moment..:o

bigH
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
haha wow, i vote this as being the worst thread ever. sprayedgt, congrats on your purchase, which happened a while ago.. anyway, as another person who has and rides both models, i'll give it from my perspective. the ex handles better when ridden aggressively hands down. the z is just too tall and spongy feeling. the z's do have a better engine for riding wide open, fast areas. the ex has a better engine for more technical trails, as the torque is way better in the lower rpms. the z has the advantage by a long shot in the upper revs. the 400ex is so much easier to maintain, but the z can go longer in between things like valve adjustments.. all in all, both are nice, both have their benefits and disadvantages. i love cornering hard, so the ex suits me (especially with +2 arms and a +4 axle :D ) my dad loves his z because it rides smoother.. though its in for a new cam chain at this very moment..:o

well said Pipeless416

Hector.Garza
05-01-2008, 10:41 AM
[B]the dvx is more torquey than the dinosaur 400ex. i have both and youll be happier with the dvx imo............

I also have both and the EX is better all around, Trust me the EX is better.

yellow400ex05
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Hector.Garza
[B]the dvx is more torquey than the dinosaur 400ex. i have both and youll be happier with the dvx imo............

I also have both and the EX is better all around, Trust me the EX is better.

he bought a 400ex already...

sprayedgt
05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm the original poster of this thread.
I bought a 2008 400EX over a month and a half ago and I cannot believe this debate is still going on.
Both quads are great, but IMO the EX is better, that's why I got it.
Money is not a problem, but reliability is and that's why I picked the EX. If I waited until I got a definite answer of my original question I'd still be watching other people ride.

UNBROKEN
05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
hey pipeless416, the z400 can go longer on valve adjustments ? i though it was the other way around with the 400ex :confused:

Pipeless416
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
dohc engines can usually go longer between valve adjustments than sohc engines

RATPACK Z400
05-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I know cars sohc vs dohc is like night and day in power! seems like it would be same for smaller sohc and dohc engines but not as dramatic as the cars . In MY opion the dohc motors with mods produce more hp/torque #s than sohc .Also it seems like everybody puts reseach /building new componets/porting/piston design, into hondas than any other quad why is that ? I know there are lots of honda riders but when is the other brands going to get the attention from builders as the honda does?AND ITS NOT BECAUSE HONDA IS ANY BETTER !

450rJam
05-04-2008, 06:53 PM
simple......................

honda sales more than any other mfg

so if your going to make an aftermarket item, its just smart to
make it for the largest market group

supply and demand

450rJam
05-05-2008, 04:26 AM
if you make a top quality quad and market it right it wont matter what you name it

everyone wants the best for the least

build a stock 450 w/ 55hp 30tq, that handles like a leagers 250r
with the reliability of the 400ex, give it a cool look and sale it for $5,000...............................and name it oiwehfaf;sigfh;o

you will outsale every atv mfg on the planet

(you would go broke doing it, but you get the point)

honda has managed to build alot of brand loyal customers
that simply will not buy another make unless its head and
shoulders above the honda

11-12-2008, 03:34 PM

now i like both alot!
but im pretty sure the dvx is heavier i could barley lift the back of it and front the 400ex no problem

11-12-2008, 03:37 PM
GET THE 400EX THE DVX IS GREAT BUT THE 400EX HAS ENOUGH AFTER MARKET PARTS ON THE MARKET TO BUILD A WHOLE FOURWHEELER

I THINK A MAG. ACTUALLY DID IT WITH only a stock frame

Pipeless416
11-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
GET THE 400EX THE DVX IS GREAT BUT THE 400EX HAS ENOUGH AFTER MARKET PARTS ON THE MARKET TO BUILD A WHOLE FOURWHEELER

I THINK A MAG. ACTUALLY DID IT WITH only a stock frame

you do realize that this thread is like 6 months old and he made his decision a long time ago, correct?

11-12-2008, 05:21 PM
you do realize that this thread is like 6 months old and he made his decision a long time ago, correct?

yeah why? whats your point?

450rJam
11-12-2008, 06:26 PM
hey mxcowboy....................

your 1st grade test question 2+2

the answer is 4

hello captain obvious welcome to last summer

just how many pages did you have to go through to find this ?

11-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
hey mxcowboy....................

your 1st grade test question 2+2

the answer is 4

hello captain obvious welcome to last summer

just how many pages did you have to go through to find this ? ok dikhead i was just thinking and typing

so *** off
i can do what i want its a free ***ing country[for now]

450rJam
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I was a little out of line but it was just for laughs

dont get too worked up about it

I would still ride with ya, what fun is life if you can have a little fun?

sorry if I offended ya

p.s. who told you my knick name was dikhead ?

airmobile101
11-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Old threads never die:devil:

lt2504stroke
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Just realized somethin bout the 400ex. Stock the 400ex is puttin out 27hp? my riding LAWNMOWER, just to make it clear RIDING lAwNMoWEr....RIDING LAWNMOWER. is puttin out 30horses.. RIDING LAWNMOWER. So congrats man. have fun with a machine that my RIDING LAWNMower, has got power on. you made a fantastic descion

guess now you be doing alotta this now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIflNrq29Ss
dude.
Why do you gotta be a jerk?
Hes happy with his 400ex let him be.
You think your mower is faster than a 400ex.hahaha

lt2504stroke
02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm the original poster of this thread.
I bought a 2008 400EX over a month and a half ago and I cannot believe this debate is still going on.
Both quads are great, but IMO the EX is better, that's why I got it.
Money is not a problem, but reliability is and that's why I picked the EX. If I waited until I got a definite answer of my original question I'd still be watching other people ride.

Your 400 is now for sale?
WHY?

RATPACK Z400
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
He,s probably selling it cause it got spanked by a Z!Ex,s are good quads but compared to Z,s its gets spanked in all catagories,handling,power,just as reliable,mods take to better more hps,the 400ex was around the same time as the Z it did,nt win ***** the Z won lots of mx championships won desert races (the 12hr)the 400ex has none!Oh maybe baja WOW ! it won a honda dominate race. this thread is Now oficailly DEAD we all know the Z is the better quad PERIOD.

Pipeless416
02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
He,s probably selling it cause it got spanked by a Z!Ex,s are good quads but compared to Z,s its gets spanked in all catagories,handling,power,just as reliable,mods take to better more hps,the 400ex was around the same time as the Z it did,nt win ***** the Z won lots of mx championships won desert races (the 12hr)the 400ex has none!Oh maybe baja WOW ! it won a honda dominate race. this thread is Now oficailly DEAD we all know the Z is the better quad PERIOD.

i will still argue to the death about handling. stock for stock and modified. there is no comparison. get over it. :rolleyes: oh and a reminder, we have both, so my comparison is pretty reliable.

airmobile101
02-19-2009, 10:25 PM
i will still argue to the death about handling. stock for stock and modified. there is no comparison. get over it. :rolleyes: oh and a reminder, we have both, so my comparison is pretty reliable.
Start arguing !!!! I need some entertainment !:devil:

airmobile101
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
The guy wanted to get a 450r, so thats why he wanted to sell the 400ex.

Pipeless416
02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Start arguing !!!! I need some entertainment !:devil:

its funny because you can tell the people that are just talking out of their rear ends like him. i can at least call it how it is. i know z400s are faster.. hell, my 400ex is built and my dads z with just a full pipe, filter, and jets to match will keep up with it.. even pulling more on the top end. granted with my mods it destroys the z on bottom end though. there is just no comparison in the handling though. if they made a z engine in an ex frame, i'd buy it. the only gripe i have on the z compared to the ex besides the handling is the ease of working on them. theres not much to a 400ex engine and its a piece of cake to tear down everything.

airmobile101
02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Thank you:devil: lol

RATPACK Z400
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
so I guess a ex with a-arms is better than a z with same ?most racers change these things first,two stock for stock they aren,t that different in handling they both are tippy the difference is the Z has better shocks which gives it the winner in that catagorie,we all know the Z is better but you ex riders cant give it prop,s just hate on it! Iv,e owned both quads the ex isn,t bad it just isn,t to the level(really get spanked with the 09 model)that the Z IS!

Pipeless416
02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
did i not give it "props" when i said z's are faster? i find it hard to believe that we're the ones that won't let it go.. care to revisit your last post?

"He,s probably selling it cause it got spanked by a Z!Ex,s are good quads but compared to Z,s its gets spanked in all catagories,handling,power,just as reliable,mods take to better more hps,the 400ex was around the same time as the Z it did,nt win ***** the Z won lots of mx championships won desert races (the 12hr)the 400ex has none!Oh maybe baja WOW ! it won a honda dominate race. this thread is Now oficailly DEAD we all know the Z is the better quad PERIOD."

I can at least give both credit for what they're good at and tell whats not so great on both. you sound like a 12 year old with your "mine is better at everything and yours sucks" attitude. i'm not buying it.

ps- stock 400ex's are not NEARLY as tippy as stock z's. :rolleyes:

Pipeless416
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Thank you:devil: lol

my pleasure. i hate people that seem to have little man syndrome.

airmobile101
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
lol, naw man. No need to beat a dead horse. You can argue with me or I can argue with you. Whats the point? Everyone has there likes or dislikes about a bike regardless who makes it. But I do have little man syndrome. Im 5' 6" and weight in at 135 lbs.:devil:

Pipeless416
02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
im not talking about you lol. its just annoying when so many people are misinformed by certain individuals spreading their incredibly biased opinions and they try to pass it off as fact.

450rJam
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
forgot another catagory
RELIABILITY

400ex dont have swing arm issues, or broken frame problems
they can take a beating and you would have to neglect maint.
in order to kill it.

if you want power, handling, and a top of the line race quad your not going to choose any of the 400's

the 400ex is the perfect trail quad for fun and has an endless suply of parts both stock and aftermarket
(and the quad and parts are cheaper)

and the honda is alot more user friendly than the older model
z's (that chain adjustment should have been flushed)

airmobile101
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
im not talking about you lol. its just annoying when so many people are misinformed by certain individuals spreading their incredibly biased opinions and they try to pass it off as fact.
Totally understand. Long after you and I are dead, they will still be debating it.:D Funny thing about thou, if you didn't know anything about either bike,you would walk away as a pro after reading all this.:tired: :tired: :tired:

RATPACK Z400
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
My friend has 400ex and broke his frame four times and never ran it on a mx track ever, just trails the frames on most quads aren,t as good as they should be,only reason the Z got so much attention was that it was seen on the mx tracks and was not gusseted for racing you would need the same to race a ex, all quads that are ridin hard should be gusseted ,and reliablty is about the same Iv,e had mine since 02 without any motor problems.Iv,e ridin AZ(cinders)CA (dunes)PA(towercity) its been ridin hard with no brake downs only problem is with chain tentioner and have long fixed that .

450rJam
02-22-2009, 06:28 AM
ratpack, are you really saying the z is as reliable as the ex ?

I have friends that can tear up a crow bar in a sand box

and NO car/truck/atv etc. will hold up to their abuse,

always exceptions but you are either uninformed or flat out lieing to yourself if you believe they are equal
(i think its more of the later)

if you dont believe me put it in a poll, the world knows

ADTR14
02-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm going to take a gun and shoot this thread in the face! Please...Please just let it die

Both quads suck compared to a KTM:D

450rJam
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
ktm cant even compete with the 400 atv market

RATPACK Z400
02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Id say its pretty close .but its an endless debate with the ex riders there never going to relize or give props to the Z cause they know it a better quad has been improvements year after year the ex has got rev,and plastics in all its years the Z has got efi,frame fixed,plastics,shock,cams,ligher,the a-arms widen,etc.Suzuki has listened to the public and improved there quad where honda has done nothing!If reliablity is all you got You,ll be putting along slowly while everybodys passing you cause you want a quad that you dont need to fix/maintain.So Ive said all im going to say you ex fans need to get on your knees and thank the Z if it didn,t come out when it did you would have NO new sportquads to fight over!

Pipeless416
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
So Ive said all im going to say you ex fans need to get on your knees and thank the Z if it didn,t come out when it did you would have NO new sportquads to fight over!

which one was it that completely revived the sport quad market after years of either the banshee, warrior, or 300ex? if im not mistaken, it was the 400ex. check your facts before you use them in arguments. and seriously, stock for stock, the z is not much faster at all. :huh

450rJam
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
but if I want to buy me or my kids a quad that I will never have to do anything other than normal maint. I would get the 400ex
(price is also advantage to honda)

the 400's couldnt do what the 450's have done, un-throne the true king of racing (250r)

I said that the z400 is quicker (stock)
but all the 400's are slower than the 250r's and 450's and now 700's +

if you want to put-put on a z400 with a big head thinking you can take a "stock" 400ex (as long as he isnt a better rider) in a drag or around a track then the zuki/saki400 is the ticket
my son-in-law has an 03 kfx that loses by 2-3 lengths in 300' sand drag to my daughters 99 400ex (neither stock)

this is like fighting over which is faster the 6 cylinder mustang or camaro ????????? neither are fast in the big picture but both are quick enough to play on

RATPACK Z400
02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
The Z did dethrone the 250r it was the FIRST fourstroke to do so! And yes cause of that yamaha,honda,etc started making race like quads.if you remember the class was 400cc and 250cc 2stroke then went to 440cc then canedale came out then yamaha,then honda built 450 so they went up to 450cc. Or am I wrong?You need to practice with him more on holeshots then!

Pipeless416
02-22-2009, 12:44 PM
haha there really is no convincing you that both have their strengths and weaknesses.. i give up. have fun spreading misconceptions.

RATPACK Z400
02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
They both have good and bad ,But the z has more good than the ex all-around now that it efi,widen a-arms it really shines!I love debating this !as you can tell!Im bored at home waiting for spring!

450rJam
02-22-2009, 01:44 PM
the z400 didnt dethrone the 250r, the only reason it was phased out was to sale new atv's

they changed the rules to only race production models
sport atv sales where almost non existant

none of the 400's could compete with the 250r's/dales

if my son/son-inlaw change quads its still the same outcome

I also have a z250 and a couple 250ex's and the z250 is always the last one out of the garage (big lack of power)

RATPACK Z400
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
A z motor by nacs racing in a lone star frame riden by doug gust did in 99 then second in 2000 then in 2002 it won again, the z was bored to 450 and won agains,t the new 450s as well.no ex did that!but i just give up trying to give facts that explain myself they,ll never be an end to this thats for sure! Oh by the way try changing the rear tires for holeshots WILL help get better starts.

450rJam
02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
gust has more to do with that than the atv, its been proved time after time

look at what bubba is doing on yamaha now

that card holds no weight

ADTR14
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
ktm cant even compete with the 400 atv market

Who cares about the atv market? I was talking performance.

Anyways:rolleyes: obviously you aren't getting anywhere with your argument so just drop it and get rid of this worthless thread.

450rJam
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
because its cold outside and im bored

the z400 is a fine atv, so is the 400ex

but the overpriced ktm is not, who would pay double price for one

you can buy a trx, yfz, ltr, kfx 450 and add 5k in aftermarket goodies instead of letting ktm choose your shocks etc.

and have better reliability

RATPACK Z400
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
So why was there NO ex,s winning ?cause they were underpowered compared to the Z,250r,yfz450hybred,crf450hybred,cannadale440.yes the guy is an incredible rider,but he found an advantage OVER the 250r that was the Z motor with e-start.read your history man be for you give us a bunch of *****facts!

airmobile101
02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I will say this, the Cannondale was way advanced for its time. Today, those bikes are still whipping as#. And they are still advanced compared to the majority of the market. Granted you all are arguing about the 400ex and the Z400,but those bikes are just bad AS#. They are in a league of their own. I remember watching one drag a 450r with the HRC kit. It totally whipped the floor with the Honda. The Cannondale 440 was all stock. The guy came back and asked if I wanted to race him, I pretty much said no thanks and rode away with my tail tucked.
:blah:

450rJam
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
yes the 400ex is a small step down from the 250r's and 450's
(not so much vs the z400)

the pro's are not running anything close to what normal people can obtain

you think the trx450r is superior just because john natalie was unbeatable on it ?

sprayedgt
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
ANY atv can be superior if you

#1 Have a good rider
#2 Throw tons of cash at it.

The only thing any atv remotely has in common with it pro level racing counterpart is the name badge on it. That's where all the similarities end. If you took a showroom stock 400, 450 or any other engine class and put it through what the pros do every race you'd find the market would nearly end. They would all break and fall apart. You don't go to the dealership looking for what so and so broke down on. You go there looking for what so and so won on and you go from there. But for the average Joe a pro level bike is out of reach financially and not a realistic option anyway.

PS: I still cannot believe this post is still alive. I started it over a year ago!!

450rJam
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
well since its still going and it looks like you went with the 400ex then upgraded to the 700xx how about a comparison ??

looks like your sticking with honda so far
(I am pretty brand loyal with honda, they have treated me well)

sprayedgt
03-04-2009, 05:29 AM
There is NO comparison between the two. The 400 is fast with what little I have done to it. But the 700xx is a beast totally stock! You would never even think it weighs 505lbs by the way it rockets away on the back wheels. With all the mags bashing the 700 I know they could not have spent enough seat time on it or the story would be different. It took a little seat time to figure out how to ride and handle the IRS. But after I got the hang of it, I will never go back. The 400EX just sits in the garage until someone buys it and the 700 goes out every weekend I can ride. Once you uncork one of them they are nasty. I seriously doubt my 400 would have ever been as fast even with all the head work, cam and the 426 or 440 for that matter. I got it because of the ground clearance. The trails I ride are very, VERY rutted out with not too many opportunities to go around them. I can now go anywhere the big humpty dumpty 4x4's go except the knee deep mud. Honda did an awesome job on this one.

450rJam
03-04-2009, 09:04 AM
I seen a shoot out between the 700xx and the 700 raptor in dirtwheels.......... (dirtwheels has got to be on the yamaha payroll)

honda dont make crap anything, and everything has a purpose

im not sold on the look of the front end yet but I could see myself on one when im ready to hand my 450r to my son

ltz4rider
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
i agree with 450rJam
Honda doesnt make anything crap and everything has a puprse.

The 700xx is such a good idea, but i wish they would have made it in irs and striaght axle

sprayedgt
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
When I first saw the front end I about gagged. But the more and more I saw it, it grew on me. Just like the new body on the 400ex did. And I ended up buying that one too. I put a Pro Armor PRO XC bumper on mine and it looks a million times better now IMO. I really do not see Honda making a SRA version of the 700xx.

ltz4rider
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
ya i bet that makes it look alot beter. ya i dont see it either but i know alot of people that love the qaud but hate the irs part of it.

sprayedgt
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Until you actually ride one, and I mean all through your normal riding places, your opinion will change. It does not handle like an IRS typically will. You can slide it around just like a SRA machine. It just takes a different technique. Most people that have bad opinions of them have only driven one in a parking lot at a dealership or something along those lines. Or basing it on a magazine's bias review (thanks Dirt Wheels!!) I was thinking the same thing but got it anyway figuring if I didn't like it I'd sell it. But as it turns out a am trying to get rid of my 400EX now ;) The 700xx is here to stay:D

ltz4rider
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
really? thats awsome then. iv never drove one so im not sure but your right dirtwheels always makes honda look bad in all the shootouts, or when they test them.

scuzz
03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah, IMO Yamaha could come out with a quad called "the seal killer" with seal killing attachments and dirtwheels would make it the top eco quad.

fitbmx358
03-21-2009, 07:43 AM
i smoked my friends 440 ex with my bone stock 08 z400, if that means anything to you

coryatver
03-21-2009, 08:22 AM
if you don't do it right 440's are slower than stock. Most 416's will beat 440 "kits" I blew away big time a z400 with a pipe with my 416

RATPACK Z400
03-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I did the same with my Z all my riding buddys had ex,s a total of 5 one 416, 440,502 ex, Im the only Z spanked them all except a 502ex and still beat it till it got 3rd gear.440,s,416,s are no match in a drag race to the Z with a good rider!Love to see what the new efi Z doe,s!

EXinMB
03-21-2009, 11:03 AM
just throwin my 2 cents in but i have done a big bore kit cam and all kinds of work changed sprockets and my girlfriends stock z400 is pretty close in top end if i keep it right pinned the whole time i can catch her but off the start i have way more bottom end but my clutch slips bad so i always have to catch up.
Bottom line drag racing doesn mean anything its all in the rider. doesnt mean a thing how much power you have if you can't ride. but the ex is dated and the z/kfx/dvx have better shocks in my opinion but both awesome quads

fitbmx358
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah i agree with all of you, the kid he bought the 440 motor from ran it with a 450r carb and im pretty sure it was a yoshi pipe. now my friend is running a stock carb, but its jetted. and its a stock pipe. its got pep, more than a stock 400 but its not much more at all

Cleadus Ray
03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a 07 ltz400 with a 2 up rear sprocket and pipe aswell as many other non engine mods and I promise it has never been out run by any 450 at our atv drag strip. I am 40 years old and weigh 220 and I have to start off in second gear.

450rJam
03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
you either dont have any 450's or you dont have anyone who can ride one

sprayedgt
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Or it's a very short drag strip.

crixal
03-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Cleadus Ray
I have a 07 ltz400 with a 2 up rear sprocket and pipe aswell as many other non engine mods and I promise it has never been out run by any 450 at our atv drag strip. I am 40 years old and weigh 220 and I have to start off in second gear.

video footage?
there is nothing wrong w/ a 400, but they will not keep up w/ a 450.

airmobile101
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by crixal
video footage?
there is nothing wrong w/ a 400, but they will not keep up w/ a 450.
Really??? Then I guess a 450 won't keep up with a 525.:devil:

450rJam
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
ktm 525 ? you bet

but most cc's do not equal win

want a sleeper ? try 800cc outlander utv

RATPACK Z400
03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Come on cleatus! your starting to sound like this EX guy,s with these campfire storys of unrealalistic accomplishments of dominance over all other quads! we love are Z,s too! and they are fast when modded, but to beat all 450,s they must of had no mods and wrong gearing/tire,s!You must have had an EX before the Z! HA HA

Cleadus Ray
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I new I shouldnt have posted that. Im just saying"I havent been outrun at the strip by any 450's". I know they arent the fastest quads sold but I ride fairly well and have only been outrun by a few 120lb kids on 2 stroke 250's. I also have a 08 Hayabusa if anyone wants to take it to the asphalt.

sprayedgt
03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
So you want to race your Hayabusa against a 400EX on the street?

Cleadus Ray
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
So you want to race your Hayabusa against a 400EX on the street? Yea there you go. I see youve got a supra. Have you ever ran Chris Moore in his viper?

fitbmx358
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
who really cares if its slower, or faster than a 450. there in a different class for a reason. and no matter what they are still very fast

fitbmx358
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
who really cares if its slower, or faster than a 450. there in a different class for a reason. and no matter what they are still very fast

sprayedgt
03-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Cleadus Ray
Yea there you go. I see youve got a supra. Have you ever ran Chris Moore in his viper?

I haven't run anyone yet. I still have some more work to do to it before its ready for the street.

Ebrown
03-26-2009, 08:41 AM
So after all the stupid rambling about what does what, and my dad can beat up your dad talk... what did this guy end up getting?

sprayedgt
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
It was me that started this over a year ago. You can see in my sig what I ended up getting.

Ebrown
03-27-2009, 07:24 AM
ahh, good choice :D

Rickiedean
11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Well I really didn't mean to start all the arguing about what one is better. I have taken all your opinions and trust me I really do appreciate it because the dealers are all going to tell me that what they sell is the best and don't really give a crap about my personal needs. But after all the research I've done, reading on this and many other boards, magazines, and personal experiences from friends of mine, I've decided to go with the 400ex. The cost factor is sooo much better with the Honda. A dealer in NC is getting me an '08 model for $5,314 + tax :D Not bad at all since no other dealers will come one cent off the msrp anywhere. Thanks for all your help. I'm putting a deposit on a red/black one tomorrow and hoping to take delivery in the next few weeks:D I just purchased a brand new leftover 08 Z400 for$4800 out the door at OTD cycle Sports here in CA

sprayedgt
11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
My brother just got an '09 for $5000 cash OTD in somewhere in TN. No sales tax for out of state people:D

Rickiedean
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
My brother just got an '09 for $5000 cash OTD in somewhere in TN. No sales tax for out of state people:D Thats a great buy for out of state,here in Calif. the 09 z400 is going for $5600 OTD ,more than other states thanks to our Emission standards.You can always buy a Calif. bike and have it shiped to any state and register it with no problems ,but here in Calif. we cant even regester an out of state bike that doesnt meet Calif. emissions.Good luck&Ride on

woodsracer188
11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I know this thread is hella old.. But i just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...
I own 06 z400 , a 02 400ex and a 05 YFZ450..
The z has little mods done to it so far..except for a 440 big bore. Exhaust , carb and cam is coming real soon.
My 400ex , 416 kit , stage 2 hot cam , port and polish , 12:1 piston , titanium valves and white brothers exhaust...
My yfz450: stock motor , cam mod , oil mod , hmf exhaust...

From riding the Z , it handles well , and is pretty torquey. Wants to pull the wheels up all the time (stock gearing)... Seems to be an all around good quad. With a few other mods , it should be a beast...But the stock suspension is rough.. way too stiff , and feels as there is a lot of "body roll". quad stands too tall for my liking. But won't touch my 400ex or my 450..

My 400ex.. i've owned for a few years... I've upgraded A LOT on it... Stock suspension is horrible also.. Don't like it , beats the heck out of you. I lowered the rear 1.5" , put yfz450 front shocks on it which also lowered the front 1"... some offset steel rims , sits it at 46" wide. Handles like a dream... With the motor work.. Walks away from the Z by lengths...
Honda is noted for reliability... I think they screwed up when they went and put reverse on the 05 and newer.. Never used reverse.. don't need it.

My YFZ.. is just an all around GREAT machine for whatever you want to do with it.. But has never been beat by a modded 400ex , or z/kfx/dvx400.. and has smoked the hell out of the ktm525...

As for the kid buying a 400ex. If thats what he felt more comfortable on , or felt better for his pockets than so be it. Whomever is stuck on a certain quad is out of there minds.. I've owned a lot of quads from the lt250r , quadzilla , warrior , blaster , 400ex , z400 , 450r , yfz450... I'm a 4 stroke fan for sure.. But props can be given on any one of the quads on the markets right now.
I'm happy with my z400 , and my 400ex. Which one do I like better? Of course my 400ex.. But i've upgraded the suspension , made it handle better and definately made it faster.
Which most racers or just trail riders should know (except for TT or MX).. big motors or dyno numbers doesn't matter when you are in the woods bangin through tight trails... you can be on the fastest quad and try to bang bars through the woods... But if your suspension sucks , you can bet on being beat by a slower quad with perfected suspension..
The kid who got the 450r shocks for his 400.. IMO yfz shocks are a lot better.. a lil customizing to the shock to make it fit properly , but it doesn't hurt a thing!
Just my 2 cents.. whether it means anything or not haha

John Noftsinger
11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
The Z has had better suspention for years now !its ALMOSt the same as the 450,s and the the guy that has a 416 ex walking on a 440z thats a joke ! 440Z done right would never get walked by ANY EX.

woodsracer188
11-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Not a joke at all chief...
I can get it on video and/or pics ...

Yeah the z400's suspension is better than the 400exs' BUT it still sucks IMO.
But spend $200 and pick up a set of 450 shocks for the 400ex , and boom , just as good.
I like both quads , after having my 400ex set up the way it is.. I can't ride a stock one. They are absolutely horrible.

I'm sure I will say the same after I get done with this z400 also. But thats all the z400 has is the 440 kit. NO pipe no jetting... But it will have soon.. along with carb and cams , suspension.

I have rode , owned , raced a lot of quads. Honda = reliability...
But if you want to compare z/dvx/kfx400 and 400ex... You can get a beat up 400ex for DIRT cheap.. say 800-1000.. Where everyone still wants at least 2000 for there unmolested z/dvx/kfx400. You can take the extra 1000-1200 that you spared buying the 400ex and put it into the motor and suspension and boom.. You have a better handling , faster quad.

BUT YES THEY ARE BOTH GOOD QUADS! That's all i'm saying..

and once again yes the z400 I have has the 440 kit.. and other than that it's stock... STOCK meaning no pipe , no jetting no nothing... Haven't got that far yet.. But i'm sure after I get the things I want to done to it.. Than it will beat the 416kit in my 400ex. But i'll still have less money into my 400ex than i will the z400 =D

John Noftsinger
11-26-2009, 09:21 AM
You have 440kit with no cam,450 carb or airboot you getting nothing in real performance out of the 440kit you do those things it will not only walk your ex but run from it!you get carb,airboot,rev limiter,cam it will run very close with your yfz450

dvx400rider04
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
i would go with the dvx...i own one and its awesome..me and mt bofy who has a 400ex do holeshots in his pit and most the time i take him..i take him in top end to but the 400ex has better cornering and its easyer to work on beacause the plastics come off in many peices unlike the dvx wich is all one peace

dvx400rider04
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
i would go with the dvx...i own one and its awesome..me and mt bofy who has a 400ex do holeshots in his pit and most the time i take him..i take him in top end to but the 400ex has better cornering and its easyer to work on beacause the plastics come off in many peices unlike the dvx wich is all one peace

twincat800
02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer188
Not a joke at all chief...
I can get it on video and/or pics ...

Yeah the z400's suspension is better than the 400exs' BUT it still sucks IMO.
But spend $200 and pick up a set of 450 shocks for the 400ex , and boom , just as good.
I like both quads , after having my 400ex set up the way it is.. I can't ride a stock one. They are absolutely horrible.

I'm sure I will say the same after I get done with this z400 also. But thats all the z400 has is the 440 kit. NO pipe no jetting... But it will have soon.. along with carb and cams , suspension.

I have rode , owned , raced a lot of quads. Honda = reliability...
But if you want to compare z/dvx/kfx400 and 400ex... You can get a beat up 400ex for DIRT cheap.. say 800-1000.. Where everyone still wants at least 2000 for there unmolested z/dvx/kfx400. You can take the extra 1000-1200 that you spared buying the 400ex and put it into the motor and suspension and boom.. You have a better handling , faster quad.

BUT YES THEY ARE BOTH GOOD QUADS! That's all i'm saying..

and once again yes the z400 I have has the 440 kit.. and other than that it's stock... STOCK meaning no pipe , no jetting no nothing... Haven't got that far yet.. But i'm sure after I get the things I want to done to it.. Than it will beat the 416kit in my 400ex. But i'll still have less money into my 400ex than i will the z400 =D

twincat800
02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I like my DVX but let me know where your seeing EXs go for 800!!!!!!