PDA

View Full Version : mpg

tman12345
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
my 1995 toyota 4runner has been getting horrbile mpg lately like around 10 or below sometimes. Is there anything that could be holding back better gas mileage. Its a real problem for me because i am only 16 and a good portion of the money i make each week goes into gas.

400ex28
02-24-2008, 12:54 PM
What is also helping the low mpg right now is the winter blend fuel.

pro-rider46
02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
clean your air filter, make sure the intake isnt real clogged up. and the fuel does suck in the winter.

Ryan
02-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Are any lights on, on the dash? My buddies explorer was getting about 9 mpg. It turned out to be a bad o2 censor. Good luck.

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Check your air cleaner.

Dump some injector cleaner through it too.

Otherwise, attribute it to the winter blend fuel.

tman12345
02-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Are any lights on, on the dash? My buddies explorer was getting about 9 mpg. It turned out to be a bad o2 censor. Good luck.
whats an o2 censor do? Otherwise everybody thanks for the help.

ridered11
02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
i would also check the mass air flow sensor, they go bad and give you crappy fuel economy

Ryan
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
The purpose of a o2 sensor is to help the engine run efficient and produce low emissions. The sensor changes the amout of oxygen taken into motor. This changes due to altitude, temperature of the air, and the motor, the barometric pressure, or the load thats on the engine.

If its not workin right, the sensor is basically guessing the air to fuel ratio. Thus, resulting in more or less fuel being burned.

with a 95, im sure you got alot of miles on that thing. And it is likely that your sensor failed.

Good luck :cool: .

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 02:25 PM
The sensor is slowly going bad in out subaru and it does lower fuel economy

nickmelll
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
im geting the about the same milage on my 94 toyota pickup 4cyl...is yours a 4 cyl? i just ordered a o2 sensor and i hope that helps.. ill let you know if it does. if you do get one you can get them on ebay for like 20$ my dad says they are over 100$ at auto stores

tman12345
02-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by nickmelll
im geting the about the same milage on my 94 toyota pickup 4cyl...is yours a 4 cyl? i just ordered a o2 sensor and i hope that helps.. ill let you know if it does. if you do get one you can get them on ebay for like 20$ my dad says they are over 100$ at auto stores

Mines the V6 3.0. But, definitely let me know if it helps, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kickstarts-suck
02-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Do they change the fuel to winter blend in Florida? My dad went from getting 21mpg to 17 AFTER being serviced and new fuel filter.

kawiefan
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
whats winter blend fuel? watered down gas

02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
its deff your o2 sensors. Mine were bad in my old Blazer and I was getting like 10mpgs. I never fixed it because it was a POS and I bought a bmw instead.

dudeman_29
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Also check your PCV valve. It sounds like you need a full tune up. Fuel filter, plugs and wires,PCV,o2,and a fuel filter. Also go to a local auto parts store and ask for sea foam. It's great stuff. Pour the bottle into you tank fill up and drive it hard for that tank. It will work wonders, but as I said you need a tune up.

400ex28
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by dudeman_29
Also check your PCV valve. It sounds like you need a full tune up. Fuel filter, plugs and wires,PCV,o2,and a fuel filter. Also go to a local auto parts store and ask for sea foam. It's great stuff. Pour the bottle into you tank fill up and drive it hard for that tank. It will work wonders, but as I said you need a tune up.

You can also run some seafoam though the brake booster vaccume line.

Toadz400
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 400ex28
You can also run some seafoam though the brake booster vaccume line.

I would run 1/3 of the can through your brake booster line then the rest into the tank on a fill up. Do a full tune-up and usually an O2 sensor will throw a code if it's failing. If you've got a lot of miles on your O2 sensors or you just don't know, I'd replace them anyway. Also pick up some MAF sensor cleaner and clean that off. Keep your foot off the gas also, only bring it up to enough RPM's to get into the next gear.

tman12345
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I would run 1/3 of the can through your brake booster line then the rest into the tank on a fill up. Do a full tune-up and usually an O2 sensor will throw a code if it's failing. If you've got a lot of miles on your O2 sensors or you just don't know, I'd replace them anyway. Also pick up some MAF sensor cleaner and clean that off. Keep your foot off the gas also, only bring it up to enough RPM's to get into the next gear.

yea i don't know much about how old the 02 sensor. I usually don't let it rev real high. Where is the MAF (mass air flow sensor right) located? And whats the cleaner to do that called?

dpizz450
02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by tman12345
yea i don't know much about how old the 02 sensor. I usually don't let it rev real high. Where is the MAF (mass air flow sensor right) located? And whats the cleaner to do that called?

i work at auto parts store and i think its actually called mass air flow cleaner. im sure there is other kinds but i know we sell some that is called that.

not to hijack the thread but i have an 03 supercrew 5.4 liter V8 f-150. i get pretty crappy gas mileage. probably like around maybe 13. its only got a lil under 60k miles on it. i just put a brand new air filter on it. should i change my o2 sensor? cause i can get a pretty nice discount at my store. is it worth changing with that low of miles or should i wait a while?

nickmelll
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
i work at auto parts store and i think its actually called mass air flow cleaner. im sure there is other kinds but i know we sell some that is called that.

not to hijack the thread but i have an 03 supercrew 5.4 liter V8 f-150. i get pretty crappy gas mileage. probably like around maybe 13. its only got a lil under 60k miles on it. i just put a brand new air filter on it. should i change my o2 sensor? cause i can get a pretty nice discount at my store. is it worth changing with that low of miles or should i wait a while? dont complain im geting 11 ish with a 4 cyl:grr:

02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
My moms Honda Accord gets around 26 MPG from what we calculated and all and my dads Toyota Highlander gets like 22 MPG once again from what we calculated. My brother V8 Dodge Dakota on the other hand gets about 12 MPG or so. And about the question about Florida. Most gas stations down here are curently running 10% or less of ethanol mixed with their gas. Idk if that affected anything or not gas milage wise.

Toadz400
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Ethanol will usually affect your gas mileage if the computer isn't set up to compensate for it. Ethanol has a higher flash point (basically high octane) so it requires more combustion, heat, or advanced timing/ignition to burn. Almost every gas station out there runs fuel with at least 10% ethanol mixed in (at least here in the Midwest).

I used to get 26 city/32 highway in my '96 Sonoma 2.2L 4cyl 5-spd ext. cab. Now I'm getting a max of 21 mpg (if I'm lucky). My catalytic converter was clogged so that caused my major gas mileage drop. Now I need to replace the O2 sensors and do a tuneup this spring. I'm dealing with the gas mileage until the weather is warmer to work on it.