PDA

View Full Version : having the tranny race cut

jdc440ex
02-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Hello i have an 02, 440ex, before i had the big bore kit i had ripped out 2nd gear. and just last spring i ripped out 3rd gear, my bike has been sitting since then, i just dropped the engine off at the honda shop yesterday and they asked me if i wanted to have it shipped off to clearwater flordia to have the tranny race cut, and that he had recomended it. i was wanting to know if anybody has had this done to their bike and how they liked it. i am having it shipped off and done, but it will be 4 to 5 weeks. let me know if you have had this done and what you thinki about it. thanks

racernorris
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
did u replace every gear and shift forks when u tore out the trans the first time, and are u sending a new tranmission to have race cut, cv4 and a few other companys offer a differant solution to this problem, the gears are polished and chemical treated, increase horse power and relyabilty. this is the same thing nascar does to there transmission.

norris
quinn motorsports:macho

jdc440ex
02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
no this first time i tore it up i had 1st, 2nd, and 3 rd replaced and the shift fork because first second and third come in a rack they usually replace them all in stead of just 1st or second, and i have never heard of cvt, but i guess im just gonna spend alittle money and hopefully i get a few more years out of it and not have to tear it apart again, it seems like tax time every year i have to tear it apart and do something, but its worth every penny. for sure

GPracer2500
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I have an engine with undercut gear dogs. It helps. Shift are more positive and jumping out of gear is less likely. I assume undercutting is what the shop is talking about when they say race cut.

racernorris
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
when a trans gear breaks it weakens and or breaks every gear in a trans, every customer that i have replaced just the broken gears have tore out the trans again in a short time, (i normally will not rebuild a trans with out replacing every gear, fork, and thrush washers) but i let a few customers talk me into it a few years ago, and we both learned a lession. the process i am talking about involves chemical treatment and polishing of the gears, frees up about 2 hp in the trans, also makes it shift easer, and strengthens the gears. it runs $300. i have magnafluxed and x-rayed gears in the past, now i just replace every thing, its a little pricey but worth the peace of mind! good luck

norris
quinn motorsports;)

TRXRacer1
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
You can successfully replace just the gears that are bad, you just need to know what you're looking for. I also highly doubt you will free up 2hp in a 400ex having this procedure done. Maybe if you had a high powered drag bike making 200+ hp you'd see a gain like that but not here. I would pass on the race cut and just make sure that every gear that shows any kind of excessive wear is replaced. Also make sure they are checking all of the bearings closely. One blown bearing can wreck your new tranny.

racernorris
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
a lot of the pro bikes use this process, it frees up 3% to 4% of ur total hp, 3% of 43 hp is 1.29 hp, excuse me not 2. call sparks, dasa, baldwin, and see what they think about using old trans gears!

u have to understand, if u are traveling hundreds of miles to race every other weekend u want reliablilty and peace of mind, even new gears can break,there man made, not god made!

norris ;)

TRXRacer1
02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by racernorris
a lot of the pro bikes use this process, it frees up 3% to 4% of ur total hp, 3% of 43 hp is 1.29 hp, excuse me not 2. call sparks, dasa baldwin, and see what they think about using old trans gears!

u have to understand, if u are traveling hundreds of miles to race every other weekend u want reliablilty and peace of mind, even new gears can break,there man made, not god made!

norris ;) All due respect but couldn't care less what they think. I've had my hands in engines for 20 yrs and although I'm always open to learning more I'll believe what I've seen first hand over what someone will tell me online or on the phone. I honestly believe that suggesting to replace everything may be safe but it shows a lack of knowledge.

racernorris
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
an have been in the grease and oil since 1976, and i agree with you about having to see it to believe it!

norris:D