PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm length

buster024
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
What's the overall opinion on length of swingarms? I see on LSR's website that +1 is the recommended MX, but I don't ride real MX. I typically ride 2 parts trail to 1 part sand (with some backyard jumping in between). I'll throw an amateur MX day in there every once in awhile. I'd love to have the hill climbing ability of the longer arms (like a 4), but I don't know if that would kill me on the trails or not. It seems like 3 would be a great comprimise, but they only offer 2 or 4.
I also assume that with anything longer than maybe +1, I'd automatically have to get new rear suspension? Rear suspension is on the wishlist, but it would be nice to go in stages.
Thoughts...??

CSR400EX
02-24-2008, 12:55 AM
i had a Lonestar +1.25 on my old EX, and i didnt notice a difference on the trails. the only real big difference was it wheelied less and the balance point was really far back. as for handling, i didnt notice any difference over how it did before. IMO, anything bigger than a 2 or 3 makes the back end set up higher with stock suspension, but when you sit on it, it goes down to a good ride height.

blueyeace1
02-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by buster024
What's the overall opinion on length of swingarms? I see on LSR's website that +1 is the recommended MX, but I don't ride real MX. I typically ride 2 parts trail to 1 part sand (with some backyard jumping in between). I'll throw an amateur MX day in there every once in awhile. I'd love to have the hill climbing ability of the longer arms (like a 4), but I don't know if that would kill me on the trails or not. It seems like 3 would be a great comprimise, but they only offer 2 or 4.
I also assume that with anything longer than maybe +1, I'd automatically have to get new rear suspension? Rear suspension is on the wishlist, but it would be nice to go in stages.
Thoughts...??

My oppion i would use a +2 or +3 swingarm for what kind of ridding you do deppending on what Quad you have also.

skillet
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I HAVE A MOD QUAD +4 BUT I RIDE ONLY IN THE SAND. I HAVE TALK TO SOME GUYS THAT HAVE A +2 AND RIDE IN THE SAND AND AND IN THE DIRT AND THEY REALLY LIKE IT.

buster024
02-24-2008, 09:34 AM
If I go +4, am I completely blowing up wheely capability? I feel like 4" is a ton of extra length behind me, and for turning around tree's at Sandlake or Browns Camp (for you Oregon boys) it seems like I wouldn't be doing myself any favors.
On the flip side for wide open Florence dunes (once I drop my 440 package in that thing) I'd be lovin' it.

I guess I'm leaning towards a 2 now, but I'm not sure what I'm actually gaining in terms of performance.

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by buster024
Thoughts...??

trail - +0, or stock length.

dunes - +2

hillclimbing - +4

drag racing - +4

I dont really see a need for a longer swinger. They climb hills without standing up, in the dunes stocks fine, and in trails its easier to manuver.

Just my $.02

Wheelie
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Go with +1 1/4. Best of all the worlds: still can ride trails, still can jump with good front and rear balance and tames the light front end.

skillet
02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I WOULD SAY +2 WOULD WORK THE BEST ALL AROUND. I LOVE MY +4. WHEN I WAS RUNNING A STOCK SWINGARM WITH MY HAULERS I NOTICE IT WOULD PUSH ME STRAIGHT INSTEAD OF LETTING ME TURN WHEN I GOT DOWN IN SOME OF THE TREE TRAILS. WITH THE +4 I CAN OFF LOAD SOME THE WIEGHT AND LETS ME TURN ALOT BETTER. WOULD NOT JUMP THE QUAD THOUGH ON A +4.

02-24-2008, 07:58 PM
A longer swingarm is just more stablility in high speeds and is mostly used to get the balance even when adding 1"foward a-arms a +1 or +1.25 swingarm will even it out to where the balance area was stock which is best.

buster024
02-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Wheelie, sent you a pm....