PDA

View Full Version : because a broken tie rod end isn't enough to ruin one ride

dirtbike&quad
02-23-2008, 08:02 PM
broken tie rod end last weekend left me in the middle of no where on these trails so me and my buddy had to basically guide the quad out while using a winch to get it out of the trails, which blowedddddddd

today, please, just look at my case, threw my chain, im not even sure how this happen. theres no case saver either, f***. this blows.....

dirtbike&quad
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
also need new sprockets because i chipped mine, and need new bearings (see pic)...i dont see how taht happens all in one day.

416exfreak
02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Preventative maintanence skills....

You does not have them.:chinese:

REDRIDDER
02-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Preventative maintanence skills....

You does not have them.:chinese: lmfao...

dirtbike&quad
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
my chain was tight. im not sure what other "maintanence" i could've done to prevent this...

coryatver
02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
my chain was tight. im not sure what other "maintanence" i could've done to prevent this...

The chain came off becuase your axle bearings are gone! the axle can move back and forth, the sprocket is bolted on the axle so it does to and your chain pops off. You need to check your bearings after every ride make sure they are still good. Also tie rods don't just break in half. Either it was weakend from previous impacts or you wacked something pretty good! I keep a spare in my toolbox becuase i have bent a few myself lol

416exfreak
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
For starters....

klutch
02-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Happened to my neighbor's 250X last weekend all the same problems, his bearings went, chain popped off, split the case, towed him out... also he had no case saver either (obviously)... and his chain was nice and lubed up so dont say that helped because i dont quite think it did.

dirtbike&quad
02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
For starters....

that would have done nothing really...chain was lubed about 2 weeks ago, and hasn't been riden much, so thats not the issue, it is what coryatver said

i didnt know my bearings were shot till the chain popped off. to be honest, i dont know anyone that checks their bearings before everyride, i know it never crossed my mind. the only thing i check every ride is my gas. otherwise i do a check on oil every now and then and i lube my chain. and im good to go.

tank69
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
coryatver nailed it. I can tell by the pic, the bearing is toasted. You can't just jump on that thing and take off! Spend 15 minutes before you leave the house and check everything.

440challenger
02-24-2008, 06:10 AM
You gotta check your axle bearings/ axle lock nut often.
By just looking at your carrier its stock, i would get a dual row from east coast atv. they are like 119$.

Hope that case is fixable!

KXRida
02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
For starters....

ugh I hate that stuff! Turns your chain a nasty yellow color and flings everywhere. I use maxima chain wax.

Also, chains do stretch after a peroid of time. I had a pretty close call to loosing my case on my last rm. I must have lost a sproket bolt on the track and the chain bent all the teeth on the sprocket (looked like a saw blade) and it threw the chain. Ripped 4 teeth of the counter sprocket and bent the top half of the rear sprocket.

That's just down right wrong!
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/sprocket2.jpg

You can kinda tell that the sprocket is bent in the pic. It was straight at the bottom but not at the top lol.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/sprocket.jpg

Moral of the story... When washing your bike/quad check your sprocket bolts, chain, sliders, axle nuts, linkage/swingarm bearings, and axle bearings when you back there. Linkage bearings more the bikes, they're a little easier to feel when the bike is on the stand.

Things happen though. Is your case cracked? If not just get yourself some new parts and learn from it if you can. That's the best thing to do.

WatersRacing
02-24-2008, 10:32 AM

know anyone that checks their bearings before everyride, i know it never crossed my mind. the only thing i check every ride is my gas. otherwise i do a check on oil every now and then and i lube my chain. and im good to go.

Well, now you can say that you do know someone that does. All it takes is pulling on your rear tires to feel for slop. Doing that will check that your hubs aren't loose, and your bearings arent bad. Same thing goes for the front to check the a-arm joints.

As for the broken tie-rod I agree that you either hit something hard or previously hit something. Always carry bailing wire with you. I've broken tie rods before in a desert race and used wire to hold it to the spindle. Worked good enough to make it 20 miles to the next pit.

coryatver
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
you don't have to take your tires off just lift the back end up somehow and try to move the rear end and and forth to check it takes 1 minute to do.

Exrider434
02-24-2008, 05:08 PM
i dont know anyone that checks their bearings before every ride, i know it never crossed my mind. the only thing i check every ride is my gas. otherwise i do a check on oil every now and then and i lube my chain. and im good to go.

Im pretty sure a whole rear end was enough to make me take 30 seconds to check that everythings alrite:ermm: And checking your oil every now and then isnt good either, trust me ive learned from that as well, now i check it every single ride....

Flyin-Low
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I check my front end and back end every time I wash my quad and before pretty much every ride. All you gotta do is grab one of your rear tires and pull up on it and watch your swing arm pivot bolt area to see if the swingarm moves before the frame and then pull it up again and see if your axle moves up before the housing. Pretty quick and simple if you ask me.

Then for the front I grab the top of the tire and pull it towards me and then push it towards the quad a few times to feel for any slop, then do the same for the other side.

Then I hold the tire solid between my legs and wiggle the bars back and forth to feel for any slop in the steering, and then repeat on the other tire.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but when I'm bombing down a field 5th tapped I don't want anything to go wrong :ermm:

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 06:40 PM
broke 3 teeth in my front sprocket.

parts to buy:
new chain
front and rear sprockets
axle bearings

and jb weld.

i have a question. if i have "slop" (a term i have just learned about in the last week btw) in the steering, how would i fix that?

Thanks a lot!
Mike

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
Im pretty sure a whole rear end was enough to make me take 30 seconds to check that everythings alrite:ermm: And checking your oil every now and then isnt good either, trust me ive learned from that as well, now i check it every single ride....

the whole rear end?
you check every ride huh?
why should i check my oil every ride?

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
you don't have to take your tires off just lift the back end up somehow and try to move the rear end and and forth to check it takes 1 minute to do.

alright, hold on, let me go 2 days back in time and fix my problem!

Aceman
02-24-2008, 07:16 PM

No reason. It's apparent you don't think you ever need to check anything. Waiting for a mechanical failure is the best way to spot problems. Don't waste time trying to prevent them...

416exfreak
02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
No reason. It's apparent you don't think you ever need to check anything. Waiting for a mechanical failure is the best way to spot problems. Don't waste time trying to prevent them...

Owned.;)

Flyin-Low
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
i have a question. if i have "slop" (a term i have just learned about in the last week btw) in the steering, how would i fix that?

Thanks a lot!
Mike

Well slop (any play, or loose feeling) in the steering can be fixed easily. Start by checking your handle bars and clamps are tight, then check for play in your upper stem bushing, then check to see if your bearing at the bottom of the stem is good, then check each tie rod end and make sure the nuts are tight on each.

And you should check your oil every ride because you just never know.. You could have lost all of your oil the last ride and not even know it. Or your quad could be burning oil and it not be visible, but it still will drop in level.

About the going back in the future comment, we're just trying to help you so this doesn't happen again.. you know?

Flyin-Low
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM

HAHA.. That works too :D

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 07:35 PM

or you could just answer my question the mature way...

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low

About the going back in the future comment, we're just trying to help you so this doesn't happen again.. you know?

lol i am of course pissed so any sarcastic comments i get mad at, altho i meant to make mine a joke, i shouldve put a "haha" or a smiley type face at the end, my bad

and i appreciate the help. my handlebars have some play in them

02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
teh failz.

dirtbike&quad
02-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
teh failz.

lol yeah.

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 11:04 AM
the whole rear end?
you check every ride huh?

Not whole rear end, just carrier axle and brake hub and rotor, that was enough to make me take a litte time and check over things, about the oil, because you may think you have enough but a few rides later when you begin to blow blue smoke and wonder why, its because you ran with low or no oil before you finally decided to check once in your "every once in a while"....Trust me i used to be the same way, it has cost me enough to just take a few minutes and check things over......

KXRida
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Not whole rear end, just carrier axle and brake hub and rotor, that was enough to make me take a litte time and check over things, about the oil, because you may think you have enough but a few rides later when you begin to blow blue smoke and wonder why, its because you ran with low or no oil before you finally decided to check once in your "every once in a while"....Trust me i used to be the same way, it has cost me enough to just take a few minutes and check things over......

blue smoke is usually a sign of burning oil, not low oil.

chris46250r
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
It seems from most of your replies on this thread that you will have alot of part failures in the future. Man these things just dont fix thierselves. You'll be surprised how much you can check just by washing the thing quite often. Keep some supplies on hand, you'll never guess how much a couple quarts of oil, filter, air filter oil and chain lube will save you in the long run. Some of it is a two for one deal also. Just by lubing the chain you can check the bearings at the same time.

chris46250r
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by KXRida

As its burning it, its getting lower at the same time.

CannondaleRider
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Coming from a racer point of view, I'm still shocked by people that don't check EVERYTHING before riding.

-Rear Hubs for tightness
-Carrier Bearings
-Locknut
-Sprockets
-Chain; Checked, Adjusted, Lubed
-Swingarm Pivot bearings
-Front Hubs for any play
-Upper and Lower balljoints(those things can pop out ya know)
-All A-Arm mounting points
-Tie-Rod Ends
-Frame, Swingarm, A-Arms, Peg Mounts, Everything..checked for any cracks
-EVERY nut and bolt is checked
-EVERY hose and clamp is checked
-Oil is changed every 3 or so hours of seat time, or one race only....would be more often if I could afford it, lol.

I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff...but, you understand. That's not a "Every once in awhile" deal. That is EVERY ride.

chris46250r
02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm all for checking things out but are you saying that you check EVERY NUT AND BOLT, EVERY TIME?

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by KXRida

blue smoke is caused by low oil;)

Moded86R
02-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I raced mx a few times.

The night before the races my dad would tell me to check over my bike.I would check a few things and call it good enough.

The next day at the race I lost my chain.The handlebars where loose and bent forward.

Basicly I looked like a butthead out there.And I learned a lesson.Not just for racing but anytime you go out to ride.Just check it out.

Also when my bike is sitting for awhile I will put it on my work stand and break out the tools.Going over stuff makin sure there tight.And lubed.

Also when I did my last rehab on my 400 I bought a few tubes of blue loc-tite and made sure to clean the threads and loc-tite EVERY fastner I took out.Worked great and I had no problems.

Now I am waiting for a new brake rotor.So I can tear it down and redo it again.

Like someone else said when I am haulin 5th gear tapped I don't want stuff messin up!

CannondaleRider
02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
I'm all for checking things out but are you saying that you check EVERY NUT AND BOLT, EVERY TIME?

Yes. At least, very important ones are checked literally. But, every single one is AT LEAST visually checked.

I never hop on the thing and ride it

chris46250r
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Yes. At least, very important ones are checked literally. But, every single one is AT LEAST visually checked.

I never hop on the thing and ride it

Even the ones on the inside huh?

JOEX
02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
blue smoke is caused by low oil;)
Blue smoke is caused by burning oil which causes low oil;)

Exrider434
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
but the low oil in the first place, and letting it run too long wears out the internals, causing the blue smoke;)

Edit: letting it run too hot with low oil causes burnt valve seals and worn rings, causing the blue smoke:)

Flyin-Low
02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Coming from a racer point of view, I'm still shocked by people that don't check EVERYTHING before riding.

-Rear Hubs for tightness
-Carrier Bearings
-Locknut
-Sprockets
-Chain; Checked, Adjusted, Lubed
-Swingarm Pivot bearings
-Front Hubs for any play
-Upper and Lower balljoints(those things can pop out ya know)
-All A-Arm mounting points
-Tie-Rod Ends
-Frame, Swingarm, A-Arms, Peg Mounts, Everything..checked for any cracks
-EVERY nut and bolt is checked
-EVERY hose and clamp is checked
-Oil is changed every 3 or so hours of seat time, or one race only....would be more often if I could afford it, lol.

I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff...but, you understand. That's not a "Every once in awhile" deal. That is EVERY ride.

Upper and lower ball joints DO POP OUT!

My buddy had it happen to his Warrior last weekend, went to climb a steep hill and I watched it pop out RIGHT when he hit the bottom of the hill. Check it out: (cell phone pics suck)

Flyin-Low
02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
BTW.. He made it to the TOP of the hill, before it pitched him sideways. He almost caught it but it just started rolling end over end.

dirtbike&quad
02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
its not as bad as i thought. the jb weld will hold up and i need the bearings and a new front sprocket. but of course replace the rear sprocket and chain. i'm keeping the bill in the $100-$150 range. i powerwash my quad all the time. i dont see how cleaning it will make much of a difference.

i replace my oil about every 2 months.
filter is cleaned off constantly (every few rides, unless its real muddy out)
chain is lubed every few rides
gas is checked every ride

i let the quad warm up before i ride. i usually let it sit first. how long should i let it warm up?

CannondaleRider
02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Even the ones on the inside huh?

Don't be a smarta$s......you know what I meant didn't ya?

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Don't be a smarta$s......you know what I meant didn't ya?

You were the one that said EVERY. And the inside ones are IMPORTANT ones aint they? Dont get ill for someone quoting you.

Exrider434
02-26-2008, 07:19 AM
its not as bad as i thought. the jb weld will hold up and i need the bearings and a new front sprocket. but of course replace the rear sprocket and chain. i'm keeping the bill in the $100-$150 range. i powerwash my quad all the time. i dont see how cleaning it will make much of a difference.

i replace my oil about every 2 months.
filter is cleaned off constantly (every few rides, unless its real muddy out)
chain is lubed every few rides
gas is checked every ride

i let the quad warm up before i ride. i usually let it sit first. how long should i let it warm up?

Well, the way the picture of the carrier looks you may need a new one of them too...

CannondaleRider
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
You were the one that said EVERY. And the inside ones are IMPORTANT ones aint they? Dont get ill for someone quoting you.

Common sense would tell somebody that I'm not pulling the motor apart after every ride.

Again, you knew that's not what I meant, so why be a smartas$ over something you already know the answer to?

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Common sense would tell somebody that I'm not pulling the motor apart after every ride.

Again, you knew that's not what I meant, so why be a smartas$ over something you already know the answer to?

Common sense told me that you didnt check every boly but I asked you anyway and you said you atleast did a visual on EVERY one. Do you call everybody a smarta$s that proves you wrong? And you are right about I already knew the answer but seems that you didnt. Its your machine, do whatever you feel is important but just be carefull how you bash someone else if you are not telling the whole story. I'm done now. Go torque all the nuts you want too.

CannondaleRider
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Common sense told me that you didnt check every boly but I asked you anyway and you said you atleast did a visual on EVERY one. Do you call everybody a smarta$s that proves you wrong? And you are right about I already knew the answer but seems that you didnt. Its your machine, do whatever you feel is important but just be carefull how you bash someone else if you are not telling the whole story. I'm done now. Go torque all the nuts you want too.

You didn't prove me wrong.....are you that arrogant about every point you try to make? I rarely use the term smarta$s...you're deserving of it, because that's the only thing you're being. You know what I'm talking about, like you did in the very beginning.

I know the point your trying to make, yes I don't literally check EVERY bolt, because that would entail pulling the motor apart, yes, I understand that. BUT, like I said, you have enough common sense to know what I meant with the term "every". Every accessible nut/bolt on Frame, Suspension, Steering, Motor MOUNT, etc. You KNEW that, as did most everyone else I'm sure....so your "proving a point" is pointless.

Maybe you just feel better now for "proving someone wrong", so good for you. ;)

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
You didn't prove me wrong.....are you that arrogant about every point you try to make? I rarely use the term smarta$s...you're deserving of it, because that's the only thing you're being. You know what I'm talking about, like you did in the very beginning.

I know the point your trying to make, yes I don't literally check EVERY bolt, because that would entail pulling the motor apart, yes, I understand that. BUT, like I said, you have enough common sense to know what I meant with the term "every". Every accessible nut/bolt on Frame, Suspension, Steering, Motor MOUNT, etc. You KNEW that, as did most everyone else I'm sure....so your "proving a point" is pointless.

Maybe you just feel better now for "proving someone wrong", so good for you. ;)

When dealing with someone who says one thing and does another, I am that arrogant.

jcv400ex
02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
When dealing with someone who says one thing and does another, I am that arrogant.

Holy cow, give it a rest....:rolleyes:

Exrider434
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Holy cow, give it a rest....:rolleyes:

Seriously...jeez its like a couple of 5 year olds arguing:blah: jk jk