PDA

View Full Version : Help- Clutch cable bottomed out

Gatekeeper
02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I attempted to adjust the free play of my clutch lever and ran out of adjustment. I thought it might be a stretched cable so I bought a new one. Installed it last nite and I was able to get freeplay close to right, but the cable is adjusted so far out on the lower bracket that the rubber cable bushing wont seat on the cable threaded end. So the cable is not the problm.
It shifts fine and hasnt slipped at all, even launching on pavement. However with it running in neutral and the clutch lever held all the way in, the quad will jump forward a little when shifted into gear, so I would think it is not quite disengaging all the way.
I know I could just fab a new lower bracket to give me some more adjustment, but Im worried that may cause more harm than good if there are worn internals.
Think the clutch is getting worn? Replace?
Maybe in the clutch arm(on the case)?
Somethin else?
Help please. Thanks---Ken

drew416ex
02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Mine also has this adjustment problem but it always has for some reason even after I got all new clutch components. As far as it jumping, the clutch basket and inner hub may be worn and have grooves in them causeing it to stick for a moment.

Gatekeeper
02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks. will it hurt riding it like this? I didn't even notice the jump till I had it on jack stands when I changed chains. Was spinning the wheels to warm up chain before I oiled it and noticed wheels would spin in gear with the clutch pulled. On ground it just has a slight bump when engaging 1st.

drew416ex
02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
If it is the clutch basket, at some point it may break. I rode with mine for two years like that and didnt have a problem though. You should be ok for a little while.

Gatekeeper
02-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks.

orangeEX
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
mine was doing that so i pulled it apart to change clutches
noticed the pin in the center was badly worn and the surface of the inner and outer pressure plates were scarred. installed new clutches and ordered parts that day to repair later. next day went to the dunes and destroyed my basket causing more damage.. i would at least open it up and inspect for maintenance i don't know if the worn parts made it happen but it happened!!!!! lol

Gatekeeper
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks. Think ill tear it apart shortly. Prob just order new clutch first.
when you change clutch parts do you order, a whole assembly, new discs, plates, basket, pins, etc...?
What is a good brand? the only one ive even heard of is hinson from magazine ads.
Anything else to look for?
Im new at this...much thanks

drew416ex
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Hinson is the best, but its expensive. OEM parts are fine if your not competing.