PDA

View Full Version : Dang it! How do I stop my E-Series from cracking, again?!

Brauap
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
As most of you probally know by now (by my thousand posts) I just bought my WB E-Series, and that thing pulls!! But the mid-pipe was broke, so my dad and I, took out the rivets, and welded it on with stainless steel weld, twice. Then we rerivited it with stainless steel rivets and I went riding. I rode for 2 hours in the 1/2 mile field racing cars, next to my house, and when I came back, It looked like my E-Series was loose, so I just simply thought that I didn't tighten the bolt up all the way, as I moved it back and fourth, I relized, that the midpipe wasn't moving. So I took it all off, and the weld broke, again!!!!

How do I stop this from happening again! I dont want to have to rewild it and rivet it again every hour of riding. And the funny thing is, I wasn't abbusing it any. A few bumps, going 67, isn't that much abuse, is it? (small bumps)

It is the older modle w/o the bracket. I was thinking about making one, but didn't know if that would do any good. So I didn't. Also I had noclue on how to make one. Also, do you think if I have some rubber washers on the main bolt to stop some of the vibrating will help? I need all the help and ideas I can get PLEASE! I am totally clueless on what to do.

Help me, PLEASE!

Thank, you.

Wheelie
02-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Sell it on ebay and buy something else.

I got rid of my E-Series last fall and bought a Yoshi for that reason. It got old repairing my E-Series after every weekend.

08400EX
02-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
..... welded it on with stainless steel weld, twice. .

Please clarify "welded"? From your description it could mean you used a JB Weld type product. IF that is the case take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it all the way around. Also check the rubber "isolator" mounts and make sure they are even there instead of just a couple of bolts solidily mounting the system which will not let it flex with the engine movement/vibrations.

Brauap
02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I am not sure what kind, MIG TIG.. (I dont know, but my dad knew. The kind needed to weld steel to steel.) (Also, the weld, with the sparks and the masks, lol, not JB Weld.)

With the rubber mounts, I was talking about maybe getting some like dubber washers, to let it flex and stuff, because when I got it, it just came with about 10 steel washers, and bolts to bolt it up, so thats what I used. But do you think after we reseld it, add about 3 or 4 rubber washers?

Hmm.. what else could I do? Just weld the heck out of it?! lol

Wheelie, I dont want to sell it because I just got it. I want to see if I could make it work before going to the extreme. You understand?

400ex28
02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
1. take it off

2. sell it

3. get somthing better

Brauap
02-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Have you read my post above? I just got it and I want to see if I could fix it before I go to the extreme. Also what other cheep exhaust could I get, that has great gains?

---BTW THIS IS MY 300TH POST!! WHHOOO HOOO!! ---

Wheelie
02-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Did you buy it new or used?

kodymx13
02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
where exactly is it broke at? a pic would be great. is it in the middle of the pipe or where the pipe goes into the can itself? it also sounds like you mig'ed it. that should work but it should of been tig'ed. a mig at that low of heat ( to keep from blowing a huge hole) really doesnt hold up that well.

and the white bro. is a great pipe. why are yall telling him to sell it. im not sure if yall have tried selling broken or welded tuff on ebay but it doesnt happen. you wont get squat for it.

02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Have you read my post above? I just got it and I want to see if I could fix it before I go to the extreme. Also what other cheep exhaust could I get, that has great gains?

---BTW THIS IS MY 300TH POST!! WHHOOO HOOO!! ---

HMF

250x_kyle
02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
any pics? sounds to me like the same problem of the e series i tig'g back together last year

Brauap
02-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Did you buy it new or used?

Used.

Hondamaster5505
02-24-2008, 07:02 AM
There are plenty of exhausts on ebay.

Just keep your eyes peeled. It's never the last deal. When I was looking for an exhaust, I was patient. I searched everywhere and waited for the best deal.

Then one day, I found the DMC on this site. Was able to talk him down to $95

IMO thats a great deal on a full system in decent shape.

On ebay, there are a couple that are dirty/old, but work good

Honda#4
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
I've had my E-series for 2 1/2 years now and I never had it break once on me and I rolled mine couple times and wheelied till I was strait up but on the other hand I dont abuse my stuff so I guess thats why.

UNBROKEN
02-24-2008, 09:53 AM
hey brauap i told u on aim if u want ill trade u my procircut T4 :cool:

beaker1214
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I've had my E-series for 2 1/2 years now and I never had it break once on me and I rolled mine couple times and wheelied till I was strait up but on the other hand I dont abuse my stuff so I guess thats why.

x2 Ive never had ne trouble with mine I like it alot too. but yeah that sucks man

coryatver
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
many people warned you about the e-series when you were asking about it but you got it anyway. I would take it to a welder that can weld alluminum. or get rid of the bracket and use the newer style clamp

quadracer30
02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

One of my 400ex's has an E-Series on it and I have had no trouble at all. It performs and holds up great.
I would take your pipe into an exhaust shop and have them weld it up. I dont imagine that it would cost you to much and it would be done right.

Brauap
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
It doesn't have a bracket on. ASnd never did. Its the older style.

Also, what do you mean use the newer style clamp?

I know many people had warned me but god, 2 hours?

And I am glad you all had your stay on for 2 or so years, but it is the newer model with the bracket?

Should I try to make a bracket?

I need not idea's, not I told you so's or rubbing in my face how good your is.

Thanks!

08400EX
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Post a clear pic of exactly where it broke and where it was welded. This might help clear up any confusion of what is broken and how it was welded last time.

F-16Guy
02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Take it to a welder and have it TIG welded. See if you can have him fab you a couple of simple gussets and weld those to the top and bottom halves of the silencer-to-midpipe joint to strengthen it and prevent flex. It might cost a few bucks, but it's just about your only option if you want to keep it. It's a good pipe with that one exception.

Brauap
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok, thanks! I will try to fab something. And I'll have to tke it to a buddies to get it rewelded. Thanks again!

JOEX
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
If you haven't already done this....

It may help to weld it when the can is mounted and the broken part is attached to the the header so there will be no tension where the break is.

Brauap
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
If you haven't already done this....

It may help to weld it when the can is mounted and the broken part is attached to the the header so there will be no tension where the break is.

Yea thats what we did, but thanks!