PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics/car gurus

m_townsgreatest
02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey guys I have a question. I was told that with honda motors it was almost a demand to get the timing belt replaced after 100,000 miles or it will basically make the whole engine start to break more and more. Im asking because I am looking to buy a 1998 acura integra sedan. I have been told to replace it or else. But the guy at the dealership said that used to happen with older honda motors, like the early 9o's motors so people still think that with the late 90's models. I was wondering if any of you had and input or anything to help me figure this out. The car has 105 thousand miles on it. I can get it for 4500 plus taxes and the guy showed me the financing that he got it for 4300 so i figured he was cutting me a nice deal. Its a 5 speed by the way. Sorry for the long post but I need to find out because if the guy at the dealership was right I am going to get the car monday evening. Thanks for any help

-TD

XXXRACER165
02-23-2008, 06:46 PM
I had a Eagle Talon that I had to replace the timing belt on. What happened was, it got some of the belt cogs broke off and since it was a interference engine, the exhaust valves hit the pistons & bent all of them at once. So I don't know if that answers your Q or not but expect a shop bill to be 1-2 G's to repair it.

m_townsgreatest
02-23-2008, 06:51 PM
all 1 or 2 g's if the timing belt goes? or to replace it? and is an acura(honda) motor and interference motor?

XXXRACER165
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
My car was $1900 to fix and yes your engine I'm almost 100% positive is an interference engine.

eastside 400
02-23-2008, 07:34 PM
yea the motor is an interference motor. Timing belt should be replaced around every 60-100k miles on newer cars, if you are mechanically inclined then it will be very cheap to do, a timing belt is usually around 60-120 bucks, it will probably take around a whole day or so for a first timer, if you are gonna do it pick up a repair manual from autozone or wherever and it will guide you through it, if you took it too a repair shop depending on labor costs it would probably run about 400-500 for everything my guess, i think it pays for 2.5-4 hours depending on motor.

wtz400
02-24-2008, 09:21 AM
i had the timing belt replace on my jetta and the mechanics ****ed it up so if your guna take it someplace id take it to the dealership. what yr and whats done to it cuz i think you might be paying a little to much for the car. and what honda is it. anyway i got a new head and all the work done for free on my car. but i went without it for about 3 months. so just take it to someplace you trust or the dealership unless you do it yourself. just get a book and make sure the timing is write before you try to start it up.

m_townsgreatest
02-24-2008, 09:58 AM
im not gonna take it to any dealerships around here because they are janky, they dont do what they say and they ALWAYS find sumthin else wrong. but its a 98 and its an acura, everywhere else i've seen the same year with 15k more miles on them goin for 5500

Titanium
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by m_townsgreatest
im not gonna take it to any dealerships around here because they are janky, they dont do what they say and they ALWAYS find sumthin else wrong. but its a 98 and its an acura, everywhere else i've seen the same year with 15k more miles on them goin for 5500

thats a good deal. dont listen to wtzrider. long as the body is straight and its not on a salvage its a good deal. is it an LS motor or b18c1?

wtz400
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
thats a good deal. dont listen to wtzrider. long as the body is straight and its not on a salvage its a good deal. is it an LS motor or b18c1?
i asked what car it was because i THOUGHT he might be paying a bit much. i didnt say he was. i asked for that reason.

300ex mxracer
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes most belts need to be replaced around on average 80,000 miles. If one breaks its most likely going to trash your valves, pistons, possibly cylinder head, etc... It is relatively simple to replace on most car.