PDA

View Full Version : Welcome your newest member of the 400EX club...

ti2ibal1
02-23-2008, 05:31 PM
ME!!

http://www.rage-board.com/files/mahbaby.jpg

I just picked it up today. I've ridden 400EX's in the past, but have ridden Yamaha exclusively up until now.

Quick question, do these bike hate the cold or am I just having issues with mine? It's all stock, but it's a PAIN to get running and warmed up. I think it has bad gas and maybe a gunked up carb. (It did sit for a while according to the previous owner.)

Just wanted to post a picture and say hello!

Mike

Pipeless416
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
welcome to the addiction otherwise known as atvriders.com and to the "good" side. it's not just you, 400ex's do not like being started in cold weather. a cure for this is a 42 pilot jet. pump the gas a few times and then it usually starts right up. although cleaning the carb and all the circuits wouldn't hurt either.

coryatver
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
welcome. They are cold blooded stock. The fix is puting a 42 pilot jet in the carb and you won't even need to use the choke anymore. Good luck

02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
hmm...i just left the 400ex club today...sold mine..now i only have the 450r

coryatver
02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
aww man! sorry to hear that! I can't seem to get out of this club!

ti2ibal1
02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
DANG! Both posted at the same time! :muscle:

I'll look into the jetting. It's not going to be that cold, much longer here. (Crosses fingers!) Once it gets going, its runs fine. It's just the initial start-up she doesn't like.

ti2ibal1
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
hmm...i just left the 400ex club today...sold mine..now i only have the 450r

I know you will not regret getting the 450r. Two of my friends have them and they are awesome! Used ones were just a little more than I wanted to spend, plus I like the reverse! (I'm getting older and gaining weight by the day. I hate physically lifting and moving my bike!) :blah:

coryatver
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
even if it is getting warmer the 42 pilot is a must have thing. It will just make it start that much easier

XXXRACER165
02-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Again welcome to the site and don't get offended by people that pick on you, I get picked on alot ok. I'm only 20 and the rude people think they can treat me as a kid and put me down alot.

ti2ibal1
02-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Again welcome to the site and don't get offended by people that pick on you, I get picked on alot ok. I'm only 20 and the rude people think they can treat me as a kid and put me down alot.

Thank you! I got some pretty tough skin. It takes a lot to get me offended. :devil:

klutch
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
People aren't rude here... XXXRacer just has some bad luck lol.

Brauap
02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ti2ibal1
Thank you! I got some pretty tough skin. It takes a lot to get me offended. :devil:

Yes, and trust me, I used to be picked on A TON but just dont post a million things, and remember, people always act bigger and tougher online, than they would in the real world, so what ever they say, they most likly dont mean it.

About your 400. Very very nice, and CLEAN! I put a 42 poilet in, the same time I took out the choke, and I just need to spray a little Ether and it starts right up with 4 pumps of the throttle. Deffantly a good add on! Look on here (jetsrus.com) for all your jetting needs, this site rocks! Cheep, and fast shipping!

Sorry, where's my manners?! Welcome to our highly addicting world!

my88r
02-23-2008, 07:19 PM
WELCOME!!!:macho

02-24-2008, 07:01 AM
I know you will not regret getting the 450r. Two of my friends have them and they are awesome! Used ones were just a little more than I wanted to spend, plus I like the reverse! (I'm getting older and gaining weight by the day. I hate physically lifting and moving my bike!) :blah:

i have had the 450r for 2 years. selling the 400ex was to make a down payment on a new vehicle and lower some bills my wife has had since before we were married. i wish it were to upgrade her to a 450r. i hate having bills and my current truck is starting to nickel and dime me...

Honda#4
02-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the best site around.:macho

ti2ibal1
02-24-2008, 10:07 AM
i have had the 450r for 2 years. selling the 400ex was to make a down payment on a new vehicle and lower some bills my wife has had since before we were married. i wish it were to upgrade her to a 450r. i hate having bills and my current truck is starting to nickel and dime me...

I know what you mean, bills suck! I've been saving my money and looking for a while before I found this one. It's only money, I can make more. :chinese:

Oil City, eh? I've been there once for a wedding about 7-8 years ago. You can't buy beer in the carry-outs, correct? If I remember right, we had to go buy it from a bar. Lame! :D

AtvMxRider
02-24-2008, 10:11 AM

we'll see:D

02-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I know what you mean, bills suck! I've been saving my money and looking for a while before I found this one. It's only money, I can make more. :chinese:

Oil City, eh? I've been there once for a wedding about 7-8 years ago. You can't buy beer in the carry-outs, correct? If I remember right, we had to go buy it from a bar. Lame! :D
correct, there are distributors that you can just drive through though. that state law is slowly being repealed. there is a sheetz or something along those lines near pittsburgh that is now selling beer as a test. as far as finding a bar in O.C., that should not have been a problem for you...

coryatver
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
correct, there are distributors that you can just drive through though. that state law is slowly being repealed. there is a sheetz or something along those lines near pittsburgh that is now selling beer as a test. as far as finding a bar in O.C., that should not have been a problem for you...

definitly not. double play is a good time :devil:

02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
cory, ask lonestar about doubleplay..that is his favorite bar...not

you will love the 400ex...i really hate having to sell mine, but the wife hardly ever rode itso...

Lonestar_R
02-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah double play is a great bar....I guess when you tell one of the owners he's an a%% hole...they don't like it too much and tend to tell you to leave...LOL....man was that fun

07trx400ex
02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey man, love the 06. This is a very cold-natured bike, but one thing that seems to really help it out is to "pump" the throttle 4x before you try to start it.

This is not a big problem with Honda's but be careful about giving it gas while starting it because you can foul a spark plug.

Welcome

STUNTIN400EX
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
welcome out! :)

mcwilly
02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I noticed mine (just got it this past weekend) is difficult to keep running too. It'll start fine, but it wont stay running unless I keep reving it. And the choke doesnt seem to help at all (no change in idle speed or anything). Temps were in the low 40's.
So a 42 pilot will fix this?

01 400EXer
02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
For my cold weather starting I bumped the pilot jet up to a 42, pump the throttle 3X and have it on full choke. As soon as the bike starts, maybe 5 seconds later I go to half choke and let it warm up. After a few minutes I turn the choke off and ride. Mine starts everytime this way when it is cold.