PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock rebuild HYGEAR VS GT Thunder

FoxMxRiders
02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I was checking to revalve my rear 450R Shock.I was checking for Gt Thunder and Hygear.

I don't know what to choose : GT Thunder rear + Mx link or Hygear Pro package rear only

Gt thunder pro : Many good feedback
They have a linkage
Cost less

Hygear pro : Dual Spring
Low/Hi compression adjuster
Extended bladder cap

Gt Thunder con : No dual spring
Stock compression adjuster

Hygear con : Don't have linkage
Cost a little more

I Ride Mx !!!

Thanks

kawai 521
02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
I run a full HYGEAR pro package. I love it. I run the stock link with his setup and it works great with the dual rate. Yes i have tried a link setup and, they act the same. Hygear has many years of pro level race experiance. All of the guys who he supports here in the northeast all have #1 plates.

atvrulz
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I am in the same position. which is the better deal?

Pono
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
i think i read on another message board that the hygear bladder thing doesnt do much. just what iheard. i've heard more things bout gt thunder than hygear. i havent heard of many people running hygear.

kawai 521
03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Hygear is very well know here in the northeast. The bladders make a HUGE diffrence. you are allowing more oil inside of the shock with reduces shock fade. Look at any aftermarket shock they have big rezzies on them. Who ever said that they do not work is an idiot.

bradley300
03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
I was checking to revalve my rear 450R Shock.I was checking for Gt Thunder and Hygear.

I don't know what to choose : GT Thunder rear + Mx link or Hygear Pro package rear only

They have a linkage
Cost less

Extended bladder cap

Cost a little more

I Ride Mx !!!

Thanks

if the valving is right, you wont need all those adjustments.

the not having a linkage or GTT not having dual springs wont make one bit of a differrence. what you need to compare are shock dyno charts if you can get them (make sure they are for the same set up, they dont have to be your weight as long as the weights are the same you can compare the curves they are both tuning). using a linkage or dual springs are just thoery on how to get the best curve and its comparing apples to oranges unless the same builder doing both set ups.

some people get what they think is the best curve withouta new likage, some people think a dual rate is too progressive.... it's all in what the builders idea of a good shock is

kawai 521
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Right on Bradley! Nice to see someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Yes, Hygear does dyno everything that they do and,they have all of the data sheets. Call and ask for Ross with any questions, im sure he will email you any info and be able to answer all of your questions.

soberagain150
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
if the valving is right, you wont need all those adjustments.

the not having a linkage or GTT not having dual springs wont make one bit of a differrence. what you need to compare are shock dyno charts if you can get them (make sure they are for the same set up, they dont have to be your weight as long as the weights are the same you can compare the curves they are both tuning). using a linkage or dual springs are just thoery on how to get the best curve and its comparing apples to oranges unless the same builder doing both set ups.

some people get what they think is the best curve withouta new likage, some people think a dual rate is too progressive.... it's all in what the builders idea of a good shock is

Well said bradley! Laz from GTT did my rear shock and my buddies rear shock for his 450r and i am just thrilled with the results as is my friend. I have heard alot fo good things about hygear as well. all in all its w/e you feel more comfortable sending your shock out to. all in all your going to get a great shock setup reguardless with whome you go too if you have to choose between the two

number52
03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders

They have a linkage
Cost less

Extended bladder cap

Cost a little more

I Ride Mx !!!

Thanks

No Dual Spring on the GTT setup is NOT a con! Your progression is built into the linkage.