PDA

View Full Version : High compression

fmftrx300ex
02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
if u have read any of my other post you probably know that i have a 01' 300ex and want to do some enigine work to it....I Would like to do A 11-1 Wiseco piston... what are addvantades to running higher compression...what are disadvantages..i.e. Starter wolnt turn over, race gas ect? thanks guys

BlaineKaiser450
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
advantages are that you get a little more power and such. Disadvantages are that you run race gas which is crazy expensive (almost 11$ where i live) . I dont know a ton about pistons and motorwork but someone else gan give you the exacts.

fmftrx300ex
02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
does anyone have a 300ex with high compresion piston (11-1) and do you use race gas and how does it run?

wilkin250r
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
11:1 compression is a gray area. If it was 10:1, I'd say you didn't need race gas. If it was 12:1, I'd say you definitely need race gas. At 11:1, it's a maybe. But if you don't really know exactly how to tell, you're better off safe than sorry.

It's not one of those "It seems to run okay" issues, either. If you don't know exactly what to listen for, and exactly what to look for on your spark plug, you might be in danger. Because it WILL run, and make lots of power, and seem to run okay, while detonation is slowly eating away your piston. It will run really well right up until the piston breaks, snaps your rod, and trashes your entire motor.

I say this because it sounds like you don't know exactly what to look for. I'd recommend race gas just to be safe.

As for the EFFECTS of higher compression, it gives more power. You'll mainly feel it in the low RPMs. You'll get better throttle response, it will take off the line faster, and accelerate faster. It won't increase top-end power and top speed much, your main benefit will be acceleration. You will definitely feel a difference, the engine will come to life much faster and stronger.

fmftrx300ex
02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
well i do know alot about how an engine works and wht each part does and how it works i know how to read a spark plug fairly well i have never had to deal with race gas or high compression be for thts my delema...can you tell me wht to look for and isnt there a poping if your octane is to low? teach me plz!!!!

whitebros300ex
02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
ok i just though of someting what if u bought 93 octane gas then put nos octane booster in it because if you get the racing one its sopose to raise the octane up 6 points. that just might break the edge. idk its just an thought lol

fmftrx300ex
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
ya but there is a whole tread on here bout octane bostters causing damage

boosted3g
02-24-2008, 06:36 AM
If your worried about it just use VP red or someing thats less expensive but better than pump gas. No need to spend a bunch of money on c12 or u4 if you dont need it. If i remember correctly VP red is about 100 octane and about 5-6 bucks a gallon. I am not familiar with the 300ex but if you can run higher compression go for it. It will make every other mod work better, compression is the key to making power.

02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Octane booters have been proven to do basically nothing, they can "gum" up your carb and some have additives that can eat away your fuel lines.