PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Flattrack Racing SW PA

5racing
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I would like to invite riders to come out and race with us at the StonyBrook Speedway in 2008. Racing begins 7:30 PM friday nights.

We have stock type classes to help riders get into flattrack racing without all the costs involved with running an open/outlaw quad setup.

IF I can get enough support i will try to get the track to allow me to add a couple of youth classes 50 and 90 cc.

This year the outlaw class should be a good time as about 5 of our riders have moved up from last year. The regulars are always looking for a challenge so it would be nice to get some outsiders to travel in and give us a run.

The track is a 1/4 mile Tri- oval, located in Stoystown PA. Somerset CO.
30min from Johnstown
1hr from Altoona
45min from Greensburgh
1.5 from Pittsburgh
2hr from Harrisburgh
1hr from Cumberland MD

Rules are up at www.stonybrookspeedway.net in the quad forums, you must register to be able to view.

5racing
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
First race is Friday May 16th. Ishould have word soon if we will be including minis this year.

LTandRaptorider
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I was just going to ask if there would be practice this year, but you already answered that!

I think I will get back with my 450 first until I get some riding time in on my rebuilt LT250.
btw... Did my chest protector, shirt, and skin marks all come off the cement wall? :eek: :blah:

And a word from my sponsor- Aflac... Where it pays to get hurt! :D

LTandRaptorider
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I finally registered on the Stonybrook site tonight. I see the race schedule has changed, races don't start until May 16th? And it said no practice? Hmmm...

5racing
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Yes the forces are at work again. I really wish they could get their act together and quite screwing around.

5racing
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
WE WILL BE INCLUDEING MINI'S THIS SEASON 50cc and 90cc so spread the word.

It will depend on entries but if enough start showing up we will split them into limited and open mod classes.

Im also trying to get a practice date setup for the week before the opener, so stay tuned.

LTandRaptorider
04-07-2008, 04:29 PM
The date moving a month actually works out better for me anyways since I am closing on a house end of this month.

I definitely would like to get a practice in before racing... To see if I still got it in me! :p

5racing
05-12-2008, 05:31 AM
First Race is this friday. Hope to have a good turnout.

RayWilt
06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
hey justt wanted to ask a couple questions. Me and my brother are thinking about making the drive out there on the 13th. Wondering what the turn out has been as far as riders and what the the cost is to run. Look forward to racing with you. Thanks

LTandRaptorider
06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Here's a link to the Stonybrook website. Fees are on there, and results from races so you can see the entries from each class.

http://www.freewebs.com/stonybrookspeedwaypark/

5racing
06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice to see some new faces the last few weeks. Hope evryone enjoyed the races and hope to see you back soon. We havent really pushed to get riders out this year but that will be changeing as the track is now dedicated to running the Quads.

This week is a 100 to win for the Amatuer A class. We are also working on a big money race for the Outlaw Quads later this year.

jaspurx
06-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Now if we had a few more 400`s I would not complain about that , but I`m thinking that if they don`t soon show up I`m going to change the 250R from an outlaw set-up to the " A "class for about a month while I wait on the rest of my outlaw gear to get here!

And what has happened to that ltandraptor guy...... I think he forgot how to get to the track maybe.

We are running on the 4th right Chris?...........if it does not rain us out?

5racing
06-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Yes we are running Friday the 4th, if it dont rain. This past week was BS it quit raining around 4 and didnt rain the rest of the night.

LTandRaptorider
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by jaspurx

And what has happened to that ltandraptor guy...... I think he forgot how to get to the track maybe.

naww... didn't forget. I finally got my first ride in this year at Tri-County a couple weeks ago. I will come up to race one more time probably just to say I did it... Not sure after that though. Found out a couple months ago in addition to breaking off 5 of the bones that stick out the side of the spine, I did fracture a vertebra too... Ok, whining done... :p Good luck this Friday, if it doesn't rain for a change!

5racing
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
This friday is a 100 to win for all classes with 4 or more entries and 200 to win if there are 10 or more entries. would like to see alot of riders come out for this weekend and put on a real good show.

The GNCC will be in town for the following day 8 miles up the road for the mountain ridge round. Would like to see some of those riders come out and give it a try. So come out and spend a weekend in the mountains.

exrider272
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
i got a few ?'s me and my brother-in-law both got 400exs and there set up for drag.. but we have really been thinking about goin out and tryin some flat track/TT racing.do we NEED tires to run up here..right now both of are bikes are back to stock highth.but we dont have are nurf bars on, do we need them? lett me now and please inform me of anything else i wouldnt need to know.

LTandRaptorider
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
The track was allowing quads to run knobbies on the first race at the track. After that, you must run Duro flat track tires on the rear. I think they are HF-245, have to look at mine to see for sure. Knobbies are still allowed on the front. Nerf bars are not required, but recomended. The track require helmet, goggles, long pants and boots, doesn't have to be MX boots. Check out the web site for the track I posted a couple posts back in this thread. They have rules and other info on there. :cool:

Here ya go..

exrider272
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
what classes do they have? and im guessing it doesnt matter if u run a number or not?

LTandRaptorider
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by exrider272
what classes do they have? and im guessing it doesnt matter if u run a number or not?

Yes, you have to run a number. need a plate on the front and back of the quad. Classes are outlaw, Quad-A and Quad-B. You would run your 400ex in Quad-B.

exrider272
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
allright thanks for all your help..

jaspurx
07-04-2008, 06:08 AM
The " B " class is basically a 400ex and the suzuki z400(and clones) class , and you would need some kind of number plates , but it does not need to be fancy , plenty of guys show up with home made plates.

They do not require race tires for your first race , so come on over and give it a try , and bring all your friends and their quads.

I think the A class is a $100 prize money tonight.

exrider272
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
well i couldnt make it out tonight......maybe one of these other weekends... but i would like to come out.

John Rogers
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Just got my first taste of flat track racing and loved it.Im from NEPA hurricain Hills clifford pa and Im hooked,But they already need help.Turn out is down GAS,GAS<GAS its killing us all.I hope to be able to come and race with avery bubby out there.New Z400 flat tracker,John.

5racing
08-25-2008, 03:37 AM
I believe there are only 4 or 5 races left this year. So if you have been thinking of comeing out and giving it a try now is the time. Winter will be here before you know it.

Blaze
11-22-2008, 12:50 AM
I know nothing about flat track racing nor where the closest track is. I live in Central Pa. StateCollege, Near Pennstate, I would like to get into this with my Banshee, but i dont know what i need for it or where to go, Advice?

LTandRaptorider
11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Blaze
I know nothing about flat track racing nor where the closest track is. I live in Central Pa. StateCollege, Near Pennstate, I would like to get into this with my Banshee, but i dont know what i need for it or where to go, Advice?

The track this thread is about is not too far from you. Stonybrook Raceway. That is in Stoystown, right off Rt. 30. Here is the link to their website...

Check it out, then post any questions on here. You can run a stock quad class, only require Duro flat track tires on the rear. Or they have an outlaw class, which those quads are completely set up for flat track racing. It's a fun track. Just don't hit the Jersey barriers in the corner! :blah:

Blaze
12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Thankyou I will look into the stock class. When are the races? every friday? or only certain nights?

LTandRaptorider
12-06-2008, 10:18 AM
The races run from May until the end of September... Every Friday night, weather permitting. It is a D-shaped clay oval track. I may get back into it next year, so maybe see you there. :cool:

Blaze
12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah I just have to get the list of stuff that is required. So yeah, hope to see you there.

LTandRaptorider
12-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Required for quad, stock class...
1. Numbers on front and rear of quad.
2. Duro flat track tires on rear, I think HF-245 is the model. They are a medium compound, about $45 a tire. Stock tires can be run on the front.
Nerf bars recommended, but not required. Kill switch is not required, but recommended.

For the rider...
1. Helmet and goggles.
2. Riding boots.

btw... They will let you run ONCE on stock tires. After that, you have to have the rear Duro tires. That is the track managments way of trying to get more riders, allowing once on stock tires to see if someone wants to get into flat track racing. When you get there, you draw a numbered "pill" (chip) to determine starting position for heat laps. There are 8 heat laps. How you place in the heat laps determines your start in the main, which is 16 laps. All starts are a rolling start. Run the quads around once, sometimes twice slowly to make sure everyone is lined up correctly. Then they hit the green light, which is a stop light in the second corner. And of course green means GO!! :D

Blaze
12-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Required for quad, stock class...
1. Numbers on front and rear of quad.
2. Duro flat track tires on rear, I think HF-245 is the model. They are a medium compound, about $45 a tire. Stock tires can be run on the front.
Nerf bars recommended, but not required. Kill switch is not required, but recommended.

For the rider...
1. Helmet and goggles.
2. Riding boots.

btw... They will let you run ONCE on stock tires. After that, you have to have the rear Duro tires. That is the track managments way of trying to get more riders, allowing once on stock tires to see if someone wants to get into flat track racing. When you get there, you draw a numbered "pill" (chip) to determine starting position for heat laps. There are 8 heat laps. How you place in the heat laps determines your start in the main, which is 16 laps. All starts are a rolling start. Run the quads around once, sometimes twice slowly to make sure everyone is lined up correctly. Then they hit the green light, which is a stop light in the second corner. And of course green means GO!! :D

I have Fly racing shorty boots, is their a height requirement on height of boot? Usually how many people goto these races for stock class?

Thank you for your help,
BlaZe

56bretz
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I will be looking into this place as well. New to flat track, but want to give it a shot!!

LTandRaptorider
12-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Blaze
I have Fly racing shorty boots, is their a height requirement on height of boot? Usually how many people goto these races for stock class?

Thank you for your help,
BlaZe

I THINK they require the full-size MX style boots, but not positive. Early in the season, might only be half dozen riders in your class, which would be the 450. Picks up after a month or so. Usually not more than 10 on the track, which is good since it's only an 1/8 mile track.

LTandRaptorider
04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
For anyone interested... Flat track racing at Stony Brook starts on Friday, May 15th. Racing starts at 7:30pm.

LTandRaptorider
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Anybody know if there is racing at Stonybrook this year? Since right before the season, the website has been gone. Seemed that there was some turmoil going on... :confused:

jaspurx
07-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Blaze : they do not require the height of boots , but if its not the knee high boots then they will require shin guards.

LT : I have not heard the details on that site yet , maybe the hosting was lost for some reason.

And yes we are racing every friday night , it`s best to try to be there around 6:30 pm.