PDA

View Full Version : Flipped Quad today in snow..

Grahxen
02-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Welp title says it all. Was going a little to fast along the tracks today on my new 2007 400ex. The snow was packed down from a bunch of people riding but the rear end slid out on me and the quad went sideways into the thick packed snow and it flipped over sideways. So far only damage that was visible was the steering. The handlebars pulled down, I was able to losen the 4 bolts and move the handlebars back up to normal position, but it looks like the steering column, or fork (whatever it is called) Is bent towards the clutch side. I am guessing when it flipped sideways it landed on the brake side, made the bars flip down and bent the fork. The bars themself dont look bent but the steering column defintly is. So my question is whats the first thing in getting this repaired. Is there anyway to bend the fork back or am i going to need an entire new steering column? On a side note, i wasnt hurt to bad. Landed on my right side when it through me off and have some cuts/stratches on both arms and shoulder is killing me. Any help would be appreciated, I dont really want to take it into the honda dealer and have to pay a crapload on parts but I may have to if theres no way to bend that part back.

Update: Just checked with my honda service manual and it looks like what I bent was the top of the steering shaft.

Thanks guys.

Mike

NJ450rider
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
You can find lots of stock steering stems on ebay. Cost you around 50 to 60 bucks at most. Changing it is pretty easy and straight forward. glad your okay.

hornetgod13
02-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I've flipped mine twice and had to replace the steering stem both times. The handle bars had to be replaced too the 1st time before I switch to a stronger aftermarket pair.

boosted3g
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
sorry to hear you busted up your new quad but its not an expensive fix. The down time will kill you more than the parts. Like NJ450rider said ebay is your best bet. Good thing the 400ex hasent made many changes of the last 9 years, parts are cheap and plentiful.

416exfreak
02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
This would be a good time to go aftermarket;)

Try to find a good Houser steering stem. OEM is just going to bend again when you roll it.

TRXRacer1
02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
If you go with a stem that won't bend as easy doesn't that increase the chance of breaking something else? I'd rather buy stems @ $60 instead of new bars.

Grahxen
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the fast responses. Ive looked in the service manual and it seems pretty easy to remove. Just remove the tie rods, busihing holder, handlebars and you should be able to pull it right out. I am looking into aftermarket ones now, I think i will but a new steering stem as well as new handlebars becase they may be bent.

At least the parts can be replaced.... I cant :)

I found some nice aftermarket stems for like $80

Jnblaster05
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Where do you live in? if in minnesota area ill give you a stck stem for free just come pick it up i upgraded to a plus one stem

Grahxen
02-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Im over here in NJ. Little far from Minn.

NJ450rider
02-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Hah i just sold my stock steering stem to someone for 40 bucks a few weeks ago. Im in NJ.

My 400ex has a +2 houser stem now. I love it!

madmark tc440ex
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Take it out and find someone with a press. Usually the bend is at the very top and can be bent back reasonably straight for nothing more than a five spot and some labor. We straighten them all the time at the local quad shop.

Grahxen
02-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to spend the $45 and buy another oem stem instead of trying to get the old one straight? and yes it is bent at the top.

400ex28
02-24-2008, 01:01 PM
What sucks is when the whole quad flips back then the handlebars smash you in the face on the ground :ermm:

STUNTIN400EX
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
imo i would just replace the stem and handle bars. you will be better off in the long run. because if your going to ride semi hard you will flip it again and will a good set of handle bars and a new stem you might get lucky and be able to just push the bike over and get right back on.

madmark tc440ex
02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I would agree on getting a stem and bars. But we straighted them all the time, takes about five minutes after the stem is out. Some are too bad to repair and will get big flat spots or tears in them. Also, we use a piece of steel with a big "V" in it to lay the stem in and a piece of hardwood on the bottom of the press and be careful not to press to hard and make flat spots. (You did ask for a cheap repair, right?)

Grahxen
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
How long on average does it take to replace the steering stem on the 400ex? I have all the tools and a mechanics background.
Seems to me from reading no more then 1 hour. Is this around the area? I may just pull the stem out and see if i can bend the top back straight in my press, if not ill buy a new one. Im also surprised that was the only thing that bent/broke considering it rolled 2 times and then landed back on its wheels.

Flodies400ex
02-25-2008, 03:27 AM
I did the same thing dude and took mine out also just never took it in yet but I think its possible to bend it back just a very good welder and bender person to heat it up and bend it back but for me I broke the weld underneith the mount for handlebars also so I dont think its going to be that bad but I accually talked to a honda shop machanic and he said that it should be good if bend it back cause its pritty thick but I dont uss the 400ex very much so its an backup for 450ER

Flodies400ex
02-25-2008, 03:29 AM
I would also check for broken welds everywhere when you take it sterring stem out

Tubsy
02-25-2008, 04:26 AM
if you are going to get new bars to go for the pro tapers..rolled mine many times and they didnt even budge.