PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Steering Stop!!!

REDRIDDER
02-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Has anyone ever done this to a 400ex and what were the benefits and do you have any pics of this mod. how much did you take off. thanks guys...

Scro
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
The benefit is being able to turn the wheels sharper. Only do a little at a time, it won't take much - maybe a couple mm's. Do the same amount on each side. You don't want to take so much off that the wheels hit the a-arms.

REDRIDDER
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
ANYONE HERE DO THIIS?

01 400EXer
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I cut mine and I took a little to much off and the rims hit the a-arms. My fix was adding a weld back to the stem on each side. Now it is perfect. when I turn my wheels all the way I have about a 1/2 inch clearance on each side. The benefits for me is when I am rolling around in the garge to get it out it is now much easier due to turning sharper. I can also turn around a lot sharper than before and as far as on the track I can cut a turn a heck of a lot easier, but on the track I will never use the full turning radius at speeds. It has been a great free mod for me.

REDRIDDER
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
This is the answer I've been waiting to hear.so this would be a good mod for the woods I'm assuming because of its ability to turn sharper in tight situations and just better overall and for moving it around.... you know? just something as simple as this mod isn't much but their is a positive benefit from it as well and its free.thanks again..

rigger
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Long, long ago....... Back when I was much younger, I had an 88' 250X that I ground the stops down on. In the woods I could go places that none of my buddies could with out them picking up the atvs and moving them around or using reverse.

I have not found the need to do it on my current 400ex.