PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug hard to get out

gel1197
02-22-2008, 06:10 AM
This has probably already been addressed but I'm new here so I need some help. I have a 2005 TRX400ex and I am having a hard time getting the spark plug out. Honda sure didn't leave us much room. What size socket fits the plug and does anyone have a tip to help get one in/out easier? thanks

atvrider23054
02-22-2008, 06:16 AM
I just changed one on my friends 400ex. I took all the plastics off and the gastank and used an 18mm socket. The space is small so make sure the socket is thin.

chadbarger18
02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
i would do the same but didnt have to take any of the plastic off

JOEX
02-22-2008, 06:43 AM
The only thing that needs to be removed is the boot over the plug.

An 18mm deepwell socket is what you need and some say it needs to be a thin walled socket. I've heard the one that comes in hte tool kit is the best to use but i've never had one.

Put the socket over the plug. Attach the short extension, then attach the ratchet. Works every time for me:)

gel1197
02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Man I love this forum. I had an idea it was an 18mm but just wanted to hear from someone who had done it before. Thanks to all

Brehmmotorsport
02-22-2008, 07:42 AM
motion pro makes a socket especially for it. Get it its only a couple of bucks. I had one stuck in a 400 so bad i bent the stock wrench but that socket took it right out and it has a sparkplug rubber boot in it so putting one back in straight is really easy too.

sc400ex_rider
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
the one in the tool kit is the only one that works for me.

Dustin075
02-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I had to go buy the motion pro it is the only thing that will work. Other then the one in the tool kit.

08400EX
02-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I always had the best luck with the factory one. As JOEX said all you remove is the boot to use it.

Here is the part number in case you want to order one from Honda.

89217-KB7-940 $9.17

hornetgod13
02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I went to Sears and bought an 18mm spark plug socket and used a bench grinder to grind a 1/16th of and inch off the side walls and it fits perfectly. I like using a socket with a torque wrench so I don't under or over torque the spark plug.

02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I went to Sears and bought an 18mm spark plug socket and used a bench grinder to grind a 1/16th of and inch off the side walls and it fits perfectly. I like using a socket with a torque wrench so I don't under or over torque the spark plug.

i am with you on this, except evry time i went to sears, they didn't have the 18mm sockets...little town...little stock...so i just bought the msr socket...

08400EX
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Dosen't matter what you use, I just wish more people would carry or keep their original or whatever type with them (that works) out on the trails. I always seem to end up being the "trail mechanic" for strangers stuck on the trail from a fouled plug etc. AND 99% of the time they never have their stock SP wrench. Ever try to rig up a SP wrench from your Honda "trail toolkit" for an older Artic Cat or Polaris, not fun!!! Yamahas are even harder :-)

02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
i have been down that road...i carry my stock tool kit and the extra socket and a ratchet of course...i am usually the one wrenching...

my88r
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
i have a moose enduro pack i take along. with spark plugs and tools. it comes in handy out in the trails..

gel1197
02-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks 08400EX for the tip. I work right down the road from the local Honda shop and I went there on lunch to buy the SP wrench. If I could just convience them to cook chicken wings I would go there everyday for lunch! Only $11.45 so I guess that was reasonable...and I WILL put it in my carry tool kit...

08400EX
02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
...i am usually the one wrenching...

Yeah, I know the feeling.. BUT sometimes I enjoy watching them sweat a little first. A few months ago we were boondocking with my ToyHauler in the parking lot at Brown Mountain(near Steele Creek GNCC course). There was a guy there with a 660 Raptor all tricked out and covered with Ballance graphics and he couldn't get it to start after returning from a ride. My wife and I sat in our lounge chairs for 30 minutes watching him and 5 other friends trying to start it.

Finally they all left him and went riding, he worked on it a little more until his battery was dead and then in disgust got in his truck in frustration... about that time his Raptor started rolling down the hill towards the woods. I couldn't stand it any longer, ran and grabbed it just in time. After he came over and thanked me I asked if he needed some help. He said yes and we rolled it over to my Toyhauler, hooked up my battery charger and I asked for his SP wrench.. didn't have one! Luckily I have a full "shop" in the TH and finally found a socket to fit. When I started to remove the SP I noticed his SP boot was soaked and covered with mud. After pulling the plug and using my on-board air compressor to blow out the boot and plug and then reinstalling the plug it fired up first time.

After he came back from finding his buddies they all came by and thanked me for getting him going. I told him in front of his buddy's that the next time he better have a SP wrench with him, he promised he would. A few weeks later I saw him and before I could ask he proudly pulled out his shiny new factory SP Wrench... mission accomplished :-)

OH, BTW , I usually don't wait that long to offer help, you just had to be there to see this particular "circus" to understand.... it was way too much fun to watch for awhile!!

That same weekend I got 5-6 other Quads running again (ironically not one Honda in the bunch), all related to SP issues... AND none of them had their SP Wrench!!!

08400EX
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by gel1197
Thanks 08400EX for the tip. I work right down the road from the local Honda shop and I went there on lunch to buy the SP wrench. If I could just convience them to cook chicken wings I would go there everyday for lunch! Only $11.45 so I guess that was reasonable...and I WILL put it in my carry tool kit...

You are very welcome!!! It might end up being the best $11.45 you ever spent!!

chadbarger18
02-22-2008, 02:36 PM
i would do the same but didnt have to take any of the plastic off

atvrider23054
02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
we took off the plastics and gastank off becuse we had to get into the carb and clean it to get ready for the summer.

BlasterEaten250
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
If you think getting the spark plug out on the 400ex is hard, try doing it on a z400. The spark plug is directly on top of the engine, there is no way getting around taking the plastics/gastank off:tired:

BamBam730
02-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
I always had the best luck with the factory one. As JOEX said all you remove is the boot to use it.

Here is the part number in case you want to order one from Honda.

89217-KB7-940 $9.17

Thank you very much for the part number, I have been looking for it for a while now.