PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Cam Chain Tensioner...400ex

mxpimp2000
02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
IM ABOUT TO PUT IN A NEW CAM CHAIN TENSIONER AND I HAVE NO CLUE EXACTLY HOW TO I KNOW WHERE ITS LOCATED BUT ANYTHING I NEED TO BE AWARE OF MESSIN UP BEFORE I PULL IT OUT? HOW DO U ADJUST THE TENSION ALSO? HOW TIGHT SHOULD IT BE? PLEASE HELP ME OUT BEFORE I F**K IT UP. ALSO IS IT TRUE YOU CAN USE THE CRF450 DIRT BIKE CAM CHAIN IN THE 400EX'S?

NacsMXer
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Yes, you can use the CRF 450 timing chain in a 400EX, I have the 2002 part in my motor.

It is an auto tensioner, so no adjustment is necessary if installing a new part. To remove it from the cylinder, you need to remove the 2 small bolts at each end, you don't need to touch the phillips screw in the center of it. It is under tension, so when you remove/install it, back out each bolt a little at a time equal amounts (don't just remove one bolt then remove the other, the tension will put the remaining bolt in a bind when you try to remove it). It's not hard to do at all.

mxpimp2000
02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
so the chain will not go out of time? i was afraid it would be too loose and fall off the cam sproket or the bottom sprocket. do u have the part number for the chain and about how much does it cost cause the stock 400ex chain is 90.00

hornetgod13
02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
The heavy duty cam chain is actually made for a CRF450. It's a wider and stronger than a stock 400EX chain and it only cost about $33.00 when ordered directly from C&D Racing.
You will need a new right side crankcase and valve cover gaskets. An impact gun will make pulling the main drive gear easier. I was able to swap the chain with the oil pump still installed but, I have read others had to pull theirs.

mxpimp2000
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
aight, i have a pretty built motor with 426 and lots of other things also i was told it was my tensioner or my chain that was making some clickin noise cause i checked the valves and they were good so im gonna change the tensioner if that dosent work then ill buy the crf450 chain and install it

mxpimp2000
02-22-2008, 10:36 PM
can somebody tell me how iam suppose to tell if my tensioner is bad because i pulled mine out today and it looked fine but i dont know exactly what to look for really and i need some help bevause ive ordered one and i may not need it