PDA

View Full Version : 400ex front suspension

Ruby Soho
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
alright i won some 450r shocks on ebay, and now im going to need some arms and wheels to match the shocks and have a nice front end.

my question is, will i be better off buying houser arms, rather than burgard or ASR for example, i don't have a hell of alot to spend so i wanna keep it on the cheaper side but i want something thats good.

also my front wheels work but theyre bent and i know i can be even wider with offset wheels, what offset wheel would you recommend for a 400ex with +2 std. travel arms? im new to this wheel concept too so i dont understand the differences really

dustin_j
02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't use rims to make my quad wider. At most run 3:2 offset wheels (which I think will make you slightly wider than stock). The difference +2 arms will make is HUGE, you'll love the added stability. I'd look for used arms; you should be able to get a pretty good deal either on here or ebay.

I met a guy at a race who bought ASR arms for his girlfriend's blaster, and they weren't very symmetric at all. He had to do a lot of adjustments using the heim joints to get them set up.

Good luck!

Pono
02-23-2008, 12:03 AM
i would strongly recommend staying away from those two companies. if you want a cheap QUALITY arm go to jdperformanceatv.com. or give them a call. they have a recreational arm that you could get for 450 i think. its the same arm as their racing arm just not as gusseted. burgard uses really bad balljoints and asr arms are p.o.s. from what i've heard. like they wont even bolt up.

Honda#4
02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Houser is the better of the three but like what Pono said JD has some good arms but it doesnt hurt to shop around elsewhere.

mx1791
02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
smc's aint too bad

boosted3g
02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Heres my experience since this is fresh in my head. Today was my first ride on my 400ex since i added my arms and axle. Ill start the story with my last ride. We have a local farmer that has a small moto track at his house and lets the guys ride on. So we load up all the quads and head over. Within 5 minutes my shoulder was killing me and it rode like poo. I called it quits after about 2 hours, My shoulder was killing me and i had just been beaten all day long. This was with stock arms and 05 450r shocks resprung with works springs. I always thought it rode great until that day. On the brighter side, we went to the same track today with a few changes. I kept the front shocks the same but added a set of Houser +2 arms and an RPM +2 axle and it was night and day. I had the confidence to clear the bigger doubles i wouldnt have even tried the last time i rode. It turned better with the added adjustments the Housers give you (i was set for 2 deg camber) and it softened the suspension up that it was absolutly perfect. I can honestly say that this was the best modification i had done yet. So in my opinion after the beating i put my housers through today i would go that route, i know i am more than happy with mine. 4 hours of non stop riding and they never missed a beat, and im ready for more.

boosted3g
02-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I got my Housers at ATV Galaxy for 512 shipped, its the cheapest i found.