PDA

View Full Version : 4-1 offset handling

450rdr424
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
thinking about running 4-1 offset front hipers on my stock 06 trx450 a-arms until i can get my fourplay mcg +1, has anyone noticed a difference in handling good or bad, i race xc/gncc

DEVINF450R
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
4-1 fronts make it narrower... better handling (less bump steer)

BlaineKaiser450
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
from what i ahve seen, most people use 4:1 rims for mx

450rdr424
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks for the input just wasnt sure about body roll or anything but i think my new shocks will take care of all that....

400exrider707
02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
It will turn more precise, but it will also tip easier (narrower) Bumpsteer isn't effected one bit with wheels.

ZSK
02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It will turn more precise, but it will also tip easier (narrower) Bumpsteer isn't effected one bit with wheels.

A very true statement that many people will misunderstand.

Big - D Racing
02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Most people run the 4-1 rims to keep their quad within width requriements while running plus 3 a-arms. If they run 3-2 rims there quad would be too wide to fit through the starting gate. Regulation is under 50" I believe.

400exrider707
02-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
Most people run the 4-1 rims to keep their quad within width requriements while running plus 3 a-arms. If they run 3-2 rims there quad would be too wide to fit through the starting gate. Regulation is under 50" I believe.

True... but kind of backwards. People run +3 arms, because its the widest arm you can run with a 4:1 rim that is still under 50" A longer arm and a narrower front wheel will handle the best.

mx4christ
02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

I may be mistaken but as you increase the width of a quad the effects from bump steer increase as well. A 4:1 rim is better for the suspension since the wheels are located more directly under the shock mount on the a arm. This allows the impact from a jump or bump to be transfered more directly to the shock rather than tire being fruther offset an extra inch.

ZSK
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mx4christ
I may be mistaken but as you increase the width of a quad the effects from bump steer increase as well. A 4:1 rim is better for the suspension since the wheels are located more directly under the shock mount on the a arm. This allows the impact from a jump or bump to be transfered more directly to the shock rather than tire being fruther offset an extra inch.

Try again.

bradley300
03-01-2008, 08:48 AM

you are right (partially) in your explaination. just wrong on your terminology. you want the centerline of the wheel in line with the balljoints. and it helps steering feedback thru the bars, not bumpsteer. "bumpsteer" is the commonly mis used term for trail feedback thru the bars or twitchy steering

400exrider707
03-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Actually wider arms do effect bumpsteer, but it actually makes the bumpsteer less. The arm is longer so it pivots less at the frame for the same amount of physical wheel travel. A 4:1 rim is better for steering only, it doesn't effect bumpsteer one bit. The shock location has nothing to do with the physical properties of the handling, it may effect the overall setup yes, but not in the way you're thinking. You want the centerline of the wheel to fall in the imaginary plane that the balljoints (or heims) create at the spindle. Yes you would feel bumps and jumps more with wider wheels, but that is not bumpsteer. A wider arm has so many more advantages over offset wheels or wheel spacers, beyond the obvious effects.

Evan
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Ive used all 3 types of rims, 4:1, 3:2, and 2:3 and trust me, you've never felt poor handling till you've used 2:3's. Get 4:1s, you wont regret it. Objects have less effect on the wheel when it's center is closer to the center of the pivot point(spindle) which means less feedback to the handlebars. One of the best bangs for the buck handling wise. I cringe when I see guys running the 2:3 rims...

450rdr424
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
thanks for the info seems like the best set up for what i am going to run. also thanks for the advice on front wheel center line with ball joints may help set up friends bikes as well as my own....