PDA

View Full Version : does 400 ex have a rev limiter

bdtoady22
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
just wondering if 400,s have a rev limiter?

hornetgod13
02-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, it does.

02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
9100 RPM, try it out, warm it up put it in neutral and hold the gas until you hear the "nunununununununun" and you sucessfully hit the rev limiter.

firefighterjosh
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
9100 RPM, try it out, warm it up put it in neutral and hold the gas until you hear the "nunununununununun" and you sucessfully hit the rev limiter.

:huh
Bad idea

02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
:huh
Bad idea

lol it wont do anything on the stock limiter. It is set low enough where you wnt end up blowing your motor or anything. Its just a safety thing so you dont and its engineered so much safer and lower than it could be it wont harm your engine

firefighterjosh
02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
lol it wont do anything on the stock limiter. It is set low enough where you wnt end up blowing your motor or anything. Its just a safety thing so you dont and its engineered so much safer and lower than it could be it wont harm your engine

Ok, I want you to take a video camera and hold it to the rev limiter for a while and post it on here:devil:

Boom

02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, I want you to take a video camera and hold it to the rev limiter for a while and post it on here:devil:

Boom

I would hold it there for a few seconds but thats it. My friend knows all the abouts on the 400ex. He showed me the rev limiter wont blow up your 400ex. He held it there for 20 seconds and nothing happened at all! He knows that a 400ex will run without oil for 2 minutes before it over heats and blow up. theres a few more things like that. I wouldnt recmend holdign the rev limiter down for a long time but it wont hurt a thing doing it for a little bit. Its made for a reason to prevent your engine from blwoing up not where its so high it can blow up. What would be the point of a limiter if when you hit it your engine gave away and blew? exactly its there to prevent that and is low enough where no damage will occur if you hit it

TRXRacer1
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
That's one interesting friend. What are the "few more things like that"?

maclavin
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Very hard on the engine with no load!!

02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
That's one interesting friend. What are the "few more things like that"?

I'm trying to remember, he had so many 400exs and built so many he knew more than the guys at the Honda dealers or local shops about a 400ex. I cant think of other things he said but man was he a great rider and an awesome friend. He's te only guy I know to get up from backflipping a quad and the tire landing on his head to still continue riding without any problems. He would jump cliffs. I mean cliffs things not made to be done but he did. Half the time I would be the 1 with a racing heart rate watching him do the stuff. Fastest woodsrider I have seen, he made his own trails drating through trees half the time. I also think its safe to call him the wheelie king. If the road was straight he would go to the end topped out on a wheelie. I think he went 5 miles until the road turned. He also gave me Pro Armor nerf bars in exchange for my stock heel guards. If and when I get a hold of him i'll ask him some questions about the 400ex's

my88r
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
i have held the throttle wide open at idle. for maybe at most 2 seconds. i definitely nothing you should do alot.

firefighterjosh
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
What you don't understand is what it does to your engine that you can not hear or see.

Ya your 400ex engine may run 2 mins without oil before it overheats. But within that 1st min your head warped;)

Ya bouncing off the rev limiter may have not hurt your engine at the moment. But doing it multiple times will. Its there as a saftey purpose. Not a something you go "Look yall I can make my quad go bapbapbapbap and it dont do crap"

BTW my friend rode 5 hours with the oil filter in backwards before it blew. They are tough engines, unless abused

quad9
02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by bdtoady22
just wondering if 400,s have a rev limiter?

yup i hit it several times sat night.....

Ruby Soho
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
i dont normally go near my limiter, ive never actually bounced off it like i see alot of people do, my quad goes plenty fast in low-mid rpm's so i dont need to stress the engine like that so i don't

Pipeless416
02-21-2008, 09:51 AM
I would hold it there for a few seconds but thats it. My friend knows all the abouts on the 400ex. He showed me the rev limiter wont blow up your 400ex. He held it there for 20 seconds and nothing happened at all! He knows that a 400ex will run without oil for 2 minutes before it over heats and blow up. theres a few more things like that. I wouldnt recmend holdign the rev limiter down for a long time but it wont hurt a thing doing it for a little bit. Its made for a reason to prevent your engine from blwoing up not where its so high it can blow up. What would be the point of a limiter if when you hit it your engine gave away and blew? exactly its there to prevent that and is low enough where no damage will occur if you hit it

ive seen amazing riders who know beans about maintenance and mechanics. the only time i have hit the rev limiter is when i accidentally put it into neutral during drags.

NacsMXer
02-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i dont normally go near my limiter, ive never actually bounced off it like i see alot of people do, my quad goes plenty fast in low-mid rpm's so i dont need to stress the engine like that so i don't

Same here, you're way out of the power curve by the time you hit the limiter anyways. Only time I would hit it would be during a crazy panic rev mid air.

brokenmike
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
What the heck are you all talking about,My 440 has been togeather for 6 years and I'am bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. It still has 5% leak by on a leakdown test. I got my rev limiter set to 9600rpm's. I hit it more since I put the 450r carb on. I agree that it is not good to hold it on the revlimiter for any legnth of time but a quick hit wont hurt anything AFTER it is fully warmed up.

02-21-2008, 06:01 PM
finally someone else agrees that the rev limiter isnt going to kill your engine. Its just there to protect your engine.

400exBRAAP
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
its fine. i was just riding today and hit it a couple times. but that was becuz i was on ice spinning like crazy, so there wasn't much load on the engine, but if im on ground that i hook up on, i dont usually hit it

firefighterjosh
02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by quad9
yup i hit it several times sat night.....

That explains why the z needed a Cam chain:scary:

quad9
02-22-2008, 07:17 AM
That explains why the z needed a Cam chain:scary:

that chain in the z should not of had more than 25-30 hours on it. that stinks if they go bad that often. that z never hit the rev-limiter.
i hit it on the 400ex because it has a xc cam in it, and the gearing was not right on it for mx racing. but that will soon all be changed.

firefighterjosh
02-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I was just messing with ya. The Cam chains do suck. Should be a while till I have to do another

quad9
02-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I was just messing with ya. The Cam chains do suck. Should be a while till I have to do another

i hope it is a while till it needs it again.. it is now on it's 3rd chain. the chain was replaced when the engine was rebuilt

firefighterjosh
02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Ya I put a DID 3/4 in it so it should be good.

Next winter I may put KB vavles and the DRZE kit and it should bne good for a few years after that

400ex28
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
i have hit mine several times racing but never thought anything of it.

Slochrane
02-23-2008, 06:46 AM
What you don't understand is what it does to your engine that you can not hear or see.

Ya your 400ex engine may run 2 mins without oil before it overheats. But within that 1st min your head warped;)

Ya bouncing off the rev limiter may have not hurt your engine at the moment. But doing it multiple times will. Its there as a saftey purpose. Not a something you go "Look yall I can make my quad go bapbapbapbap and it dont do crap"

BTW my friend rode 5 hours with the oil filter in backwards before it blew. They are tough engines, unless abused

Your friend isnt CHUCK NORRIS is it ?

quadbuilderJP
02-23-2008, 07:22 AM
finally someone else agrees that the rev limiter isnt going to kill your engine. Its just there to protect your engine.
a rev limiter is there so you dont over rev...bottom line. Go watch the pros race bike or ATV... you hear it all day.

firefighterjosh
02-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Slochrane
Your friend isnt CHUCK NORRIS is it ?

No, its his kid:D