PDA

View Full Version : CRF450X Clutch Perch w/Hotstart Lever Mod as Reverse Lever

08400EX
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Just received my new CRF450X Clutch Perch with Hotstart Lever today!

Ordered it in to replace my original Clutch Lever and P-Brake so I can have my Reverse Lever over by the clutch instead of the Knob on the right fender. This way I never have to move my hands off the bars to activate the Reverse lockout. I wanted the 450X version because it has the clutch "safety" switch in it for times when other not so experienced riders ride my quad. Don't want my wife or my 80 year old dad running it of a cliff :-)

I had ordered in one of the DR D reverse lever kits, but was not happy with how it works, also didn't like having it right by the thumb throttle.. accident waiting to happen.

Worked out better than I thought and reaching up with my index finger with the clutch in to pull the lever is very intuitive, at least for me. One added bonus is the big rubber factory Quick Adjust knob for the clutch cable, which works very well.

Simple easy mod, hardest part is finding the right cable to use. I modified a spare I had laying around. Still looking for the best pre-made one to use.

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along in case others are interested as I saw a few threads recently concerning this subject.

One other pic to follow.

08400EX
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

X400EX
02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Great mod!

08400EX
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by X400EX
Great mod!

Thanks!! I just got thru riding a little and I am still amazed how a simple little mod makes such a big difference. Going into reverse now takes "0" thought and is just as fast as if there wasn't a lockout system. In just a few short days it seems totally natural like it should have been that way all along.

Backing up into my Toyhauler is now so much easier as sometimes I have to go forward and reverse a few times to get it lined up exactly where I want it...gotta leave a "little" room for the wife's 250EX :-)

TripleR400
02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
so that 450x perch has the saftie feature with it?

08400EX
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by TripleR400
so that 450x perch has the saftie feature with it?

Yes it has the clutch microswitch.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX

Ordered it in to replace my original Clutch Lever and P-Brake so I can have my Reverse Lever over by the clutch instead of the Knob on the right fender. This way I never have to move my hands off the bars to activate the Reverse lockout. I wanted the 450X version because it has the clutch "safety" switch in it for times when other not so experienced riders ride my quad. Don't want my wife or my 80 year old dad running it of a cliff :-)

I had ordered in one of the DR D reverse lever kits, but was not happy with how it works, also didn't like having it right by the thumb throttle.. accident waiting to happen.

Worked out better than I thought and reaching up with my index finger with the clutch in to pull the lever is very intuitive, at least for me. One added bonus is the big rubber factory Quick Adjust knob for the clutch cable, which works very well.

Simple easy mod, hardest part is finding the right cable to use. I modified a spare I had laying around. Still looking for the best pre-made one to use.

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along in case others are interested as I saw a few threads recently concerning this subject.

One other pic to follow.

is it posible to do it with a 300ex?

IRISH-RACER-14
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX

One other pic to follow.

is it posible to do it with a 300ex?

quadrider00
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
let us kno when you find a good premade cable to use for this

powermadd400ex
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by quadrider00
let us kno when you find a good premade cable to use for this

any update on this?
i would like to try this mainly for the rubber quick adjust knobs but the reverse location also sounds like a good idea.