PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Kick Start?

mrbigzmotoxer
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
i have an 05 450r, jsut got a hig compression motor put in it.

it now seems like the kicker slips sometime when i am kicking it. it almost seems like its stripped on the inside? any ideas?

thakns

mrbigzmotoxer
02-20-2008, 01:02 PM

IMSROLL450R
02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Mines doing the same thing. Makes a metal on metal noise that just doesnt sound normal but I took my side case off and everything is ok and properly meshed. My engine is high Comp as well. Im curious.

d3ktrix
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
If its so hard to kick that the kicker is skipping gears your decompression lever probably isn't set correctly.

A 14:1 engine shouldn't be any harder to kick over then a 10:1 if the decompresser is set correctly.

Scro
02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
If the decompressor is not set properly (or at all), the kicker wont move at all. The kicker will break before any gears skip. I had my decomp come loose one time, and the kicker wouldn't move with me standing on it.:eek2:

IMSROLL450R
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
If its so hard to kick that the kicker is skipping gears your decompression lever probably isn't set correctly.

A 14:1 engine shouldn't be any harder to kick over then a 10:1 if the decompresser is set correctly.

The kicker gear would have to be really worn in order for it to skip a tooth like that. The sound I may be hearing is the kicker shaft itself rubbing on the case where the shaft comes out. Looking at the kicker gears though it would have to be completely worn out to skip, or a bearing on one of the shafts would have to be gone.

d3ktrix
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Scro
If the decompressor is not set properly (or at all), the kicker wont move at all. The kicker will break before any gears skip. I had my decomp come loose one time, and the kicker wouldn't move with me standing on it.:eek2:

I'm talking just too much clearance, not totally out of wack like what happened to you.

If you set the decomp with just slightly too much clearance, the bike can be really hard to kick, but still kickable.
And even if your kicker gears are still perfect the kicker CAN skip if u keep trying to kick it when its super hard.
My bike has done it, and I've herd other peoples do it.
And my kicker gears look perfect.
Of course I reset the decomp soon after and never had a problem since.

Just like the starter in your car can grind if it doesn't engage perfect.

mrbigzmotoxer
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah that sound exaclty right d3. i just got my motor redone, so maybe its off a little bit. it only does it SOMETIMES and NOT all the way down. It just seems like its real tough to kick. This motor is brand new, not even 20 hours on it before the rebuilt.
NEXT QUESTION,

how to adjust the decompression to fix this problem man

thanks for all the help, i was ready to tak off my side cover tomorrow.

thanks

pete

d3ktrix
02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
If you had the motor built by someone else I would have them fix it.

Unless you feel comfortable doing it ur self.
It is easy to get to, all you have to remove is the gas tank and valve cover.
Then you adjust a small nut/screw on the decompresser arm while measuring the clearance with feeler gages.

If want more info let me know and I'll type up a little how-to.

Heres a picture showing where to take the measurement.

mrbigzmotoxer
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
ok i can do that with a feeler gaugue. whats the clearence supposed to me? i dont even have the gas tank or anyhting on anyways so itll be easy. what is the clearence? thanks a lot man, so this fixed your problem when the same thing was happening?

also i got the baldwin need and jet kit for the 05 with stock carbs on the way. hopefully this will fix my jetting problem.

thanks

pete

the Z Man
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
When I rebuilt mine it was hard to kick, I found I was 1 tooth off on my timing.
Mechanic said it was impossible, but after moving it 1 tooth it was easy as ever, ,, Triple check your timing guys....

d3ktrix
02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah it fixed mine.
As soon as I kicked it over the first time after putting the spark plug back I knew I had set it wrong.

The decompression clearance shoud be:
The right side exhaust clearance (.011") plus .006"
Meaning a total clearance of .017"

So the first thing you want to do after you have your engine at TDC is measure your Right side valve clearance. Which should be .011" Then remove the feeler gage.

Then put the correct feeler gage (.017") between the rocker arm of the right side exhaust valve and the decompresser arm. Like shown in the picture of my last post.

To adjust the clearance of the decompresser lever, loosen the small nut thats around the slotted head screw.
Turn the screw to adjust the clearance, and tighten the nut to lock it in place.

If your valves don't have proper clearance you need to re-shim them before you can set the decompresser.

---------------------------------
OR:
You can put the .011" feeler gage in the right hand exhaust valve and the .006" feeler gage right above that in the decompresser clearance.
Its the same thing in the end as using the ONE .017" feeler gage.
How ever u feel like doing it.

mrbigzmotoxer
02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
ok i backed it off a little bit. it was a little tight. i'll let you know how it makes out. thanks man,

d3ktrix
02-23-2008, 03:03 AM
If you loosened it and made the clearance larger, I'm pretty that will cause the valve to open less while the decompresser is active. Making it harder to kick.

Did u check the timing while u had it apart?

Does the engine turn over fairly easy with the spark plug out?

pro-rider46
02-23-2008, 07:24 AM
hey d3trix, you reffering to the clearences in mm, can you tell us it in Std. measurments to clear any confusion

mrbigzmotoxer
02-23-2008, 09:45 AM
yeah timing was on. It seems to have fixed the problem, though i just rode it around a little thenm tried kicking it some. i dunno,
i'l let you know this weekend when i really get to try it out. thanks

pete

d3ktrix
02-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey d3trix, you reffering to the clearences in mm, can you tell us it in Std. measurments to clear any confusion

Those are standard measurements.