PDA

View Full Version : Sand/Bead Blasting Aluminum ???

f4istunna
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
For the guys that blast parts regularly, hopefully pappy and some others chime in w/ info.

Ive heard and read that some people are having problems blasting aluminim parts then powdercoating. They say that blasting imbeds particles in the aluminum that shows once coated.

Harbor frieght has a great deal on a good size blast cabinet (big enough for every quad part minus frame) Its over half off this week and ive been thinking of getting one the past year anyway. I have a 60 gal single stage compressor that i know will be working hard but im only planning to use the blaster as needed i chemical strip when possible.

My question is what bead to use for aluminum, the people i talked to used glass mostly and said it works good but leaves particles imbedded. Whats best to use w/ fine metals. Aluminum oxide? silica sand?

I finally got all the parts gathered up for my yfz so i plan on getting it together here in the next month or so and making it my guinnea pig for the blasting/powdercoat

any info or tips appreciated

Thanks in advance

Pappy
02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
use Aluminum Oxide 80 grit , no sand or glass bead.

start saving for a bigger compressor

f4istunna
02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
just the man i wanted to hear from lol

thanks pap

Ya i know the compressor is gonna struggle but my buddy has a similar one and it does the job just takes a little longer since he has to let it catch up.

If you dont mind me asking what do you use to clean after the blasting prior to coating. I usually use prep all or rubbing alcahol before paint. do you sand or scuff at all after blasting or will the sandblast be enough for powder/paint to grip.

Thanks again

Pappy
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
it really depends.

with such a small compressor, you wont be doing much except for cleaning the part(which is fine)

depending on what i am working with and what color it will be, i may scuff the part with 200 grit sandpaper, then blow it off. some parts get phosphate coated, others just get washed with either MEK or Acetone.

f4istunna
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks

ya thats what i figured id use it for for now anyway. Just to clean up the hard to get areas that i cant get w/ the sander or scotchbrite.

I usually strip the old paint w/ chemicals anyway then pressure wash. So the blasting would just be like an extra prep step for me to help get a little better end result.

Will the 2 stage compressors like found at TCS or lowes be enough? I know i cant afford or have the room for the huge compressors needed for awhile lol.

I saw some for under $1000 that had some nice #'s

08400EX
02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
f4istunna,

I have been using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) on aluminum parts for over a decade and have always had great results.

f4istunna
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
regular baking soda? Doest seem like it would be too abrasive?

08400EX
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by f4istunna
regular baking soda? Doest seem like it would be too abrasive?

Yep, in a pinch I have sent my wife to buy a cart full of baking soda at Wal-mart.

Works fantastic, doesn't build heat like other abrasives, enviro friendly and is not toxic to humans like aluminum oxide and other media.

Do a quick search on Google and you will see most pros are starting to adapt more and more to it. Heck, in the last few months even Eastwood has starting selling it and has a section devoted to it.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1408&itemType=CONTENT&path=32

It has been a long long time and I don't remember how I first started using it, don't remeber if it was by accident or a tip from a fellow restorer! It does work slower than other media, but I have cleaned up 20+ year old baked aluminum engine parts with no problem. Also works great on delicate aluminum parts like fenders and other smaller/thinner items without fear of warpage and leaves a silky smooth finish.

BUT, if you use it with a big "external" blaster, warn your neigbors because it will make a big cloud :-)

f4istunna
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
lol i bet it does get messy w/ a external blaster. Im going to get a cabinet and probably a 40lb or so external blaster so i can do the frames and that also.

Im going to get some aluminum oxide like pappy suggested and also get some baking soda to try along w/ some other types probably since ill be doing some steel also.

Hopefully my compressor will do the job even if it takes longer than the guys w/ huge compressors thats fine by me. Wont take any longer than my current method of hand sanding all the little nooks and crannies lol. The cabinet says 12 cfm minumum i think my compressor is like 7 :rolleyes:

thanks for the tips guys

08400EX
02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by f4istunna
lol i bet it does get messy w/ a external blaster. Im going to get a cabinet and probably a 40lb or so external blaster so i can do the frames and that also.

Luckily the next time it rains the "mess" is gone! :-)

shadowwalker
02-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Real silica sand is bad for your health. It seems like you're not going to use it, but I just thought I'd toss it out there for anyone else that reads this.

08400EX-I bet your yard doesn't smell after your done :blah:

f4istunna
02-23-2008, 06:38 AM
ya i know about the silica sand, not really a big issue in a cabinet but blasting in the open would be for sure. Im still gonna try to use other media most i can.

Dr89
03-07-2008, 10:57 AM
where can you buy aluminum oxide? and what kind of sand is good for steel parts?

f4istunna, are you going to be powdercoating parts yourself?

f4istunna
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
i got my aluminum oxide at harbor freight w/ the blaster. They have it at a few supply places around here also. A local stone/brick place has that and black beauty sand.

Yep im going to be powdercoating my own small parts here soon. Still gonna have to send the frames out but i should be able to handle all the rest.

Dr89
03-07-2008, 01:09 PM
sweet, i've been looking into doing my own powder coating too, i was going to buy one of the air powered guns off ebay that comes with the electric box and a foot pedal and some stuff?? i dont know if its any good or not just thought i'd try it, and then i found a place online to maybe buy paint....let me know how it goes for you. i might need tips down the road lol

f4istunna
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
i got the craftsman gun i havent had a chance to use it yet but ill let you know how it goes.

I gotta get a oven setup and should be good to go

j450rking
03-15-2008, 09:27 PM
i use the craftsman gun and it works great. i get all my powder from culombia coatings. they have a great selection and good prices. i got my gun from eastwood and it;s just a rebadged craftsman