PDA

View Full Version : leaky head gasket

BlasterEaten250
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I just rebuilt my engine in August or so and the past few weeks oil has been coming out through the head gasket. When we rebuilt it of course we put in all new gaskets, so I am pretty clueless on what is going on. All the studs have been torqued to the right pressure (went back in and checked again after break in) I'm not loosing that much oil on the dipstick, but it seems like it is progressively getting worse. Also it seems like the gasket is in good shape, but I'm probably going to order a new one anyways. Does anyone have any clue on what is going on? Thanks

Oh and it's only coming out of the front side.

cb550man
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Your head is probably warped. When you do a head gasket on anything,even cars you usually have to have the head machined flat again. You will have to tear it down again and have the head shaved. This will solve your problem

BlasterEaten250
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks. Yeah I was kind of thinking that would probably be it. I will most likely end up doing that.

f4istunna
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
ya i agree take it to a machine shop and have them check it for you.

Might have just got a bad gasket from the get go,??

BlasterEaten250
02-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah I'll start tearing it apart sometime this week to have it checked. You're right it's also possible the gasket was bad from the beggining.

Pipeless416
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
kinda had a feeling it had to be decked.. is this something we can check ourselves with a machinist's straight edge?

Ruby Soho
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
yes you can check it yourself.

after i blew my 2nd gasket my head seemed fine but i had it done any way just incase