PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump with keihin...bad idea?

kiesta00
02-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Anyone have problems running a fuel pump with an alky keihin? Some ppl say the floats don't work well with the pump and it overflows a lot. Anyone have experience with them?

Guess I'll have to switch to a lectron.

Rich250RRacer
02-20-2008, 05:18 AM
All of the guys who run microsprints are running Keihins with fuel pumps, and on alcohol, with no problems that I know of.

mfr422
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
keista,

Switch to the lectron for methanol, you won't regret it. They are much easier to tune and designed for the increased flow that methanol requires. I run a pump on my lectron with two fuel lines and don't have any problems with overflowing. Just be sure you buy one setup for mehtanol as if you buy a gas version and swap it over, you'll have as much $ in it as if you bought a methanol carb to begin with. I had a friend with a keihin set up for methanol and he never did get it completely right, I think he never could get the flow of fuel like a lectron due to the design of the needle inlet. He would always go lean in 5th and 6th gear. It helped me decide to try lectron as they were setup to begin with and not a converted gas carb. Hope this helps, Roost on:D

atvmxr
02-20-2008, 11:19 PM
a friend is selling a
Nearly new Alky 44mm lectron carb. has dual power jets & 19-3xl needle. $250 shipped in the US.

not sure if that will work or a good price... :)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Qracer/Lectroncarb001.jpg

wilkin250r
02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
44mm is a big carb. What's your displacement?

I would say $250 is a pretty good price if it suits your needs and doesn't require anything other than minor jetting changes.

Good luck getting that beast to fit your intake boot. It ain't impossible, but it also certainly isn't going to go without a fight.

kiesta00
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I've got a 310 prox now, porting for drag racing. $250 doesn't sound bad, I'll have to check with my builder to see if a 44mm is too big.

All I'll lose is some bottom end right? that which I have none of anyway lol

morse250r
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
i have a 40mm dennis packard lectron 4 sale

atvmxr
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
i think it was off a 330R, doesnt UPP make a bigger boot or use one off a CR500?

tried using it on his zilla, but not big enough carb. went to 48 and its better. using a ESR pump...

kiesta00
02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Morse250r, is it setup for alky or gas? Also what do I need to change to swap to a lectron? Throttle cable, intake boot?

PM a price to me, I'm very interested.

morse250r
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
its alky dennis packard sets them up good pe 1 needle i have the pump to run with it i havent run this carb im needing bigger the guy i bought it from hardly used it 3/4 times i have the thumb cable pump with it boot shouild work just need to have a long enough cable to open them up

JTRtrx250r
02-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
All of the guys who run microsprints are running Keihins with fuel pumps, and on alcohol, with no problems that I know of. what he said

go w a smaller size float valve (if Keihin offers it) or run it w/ a return line, in some cases w/ restricted..(even a auto regulator)

as throwback as it sounds...you can run a mainjet in the return line, and even more so...use diffrent size jets to "jet the return line" to go easy on the pump and head-pressure of the system

sometimes you can use a magic can/catch-can from a shifterkart to help w/ the return...in this case you'll have a gravity feed to the pump, its all about experimenting w/ it and the fuel system

or try asking Neil what he thinks

oh , the things you do and see at the track, haha

best of luck regardless

ESR350r
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a 40.5 alky Keihin with a pump that i am trying to get rid of so i can get a 40.5 on gas. Am I going to have a hard time getting rid of this? It sounds like you guys seem to like the Lectrons.

86 Quad R
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
kiesta00 are you currently running an alkee Keihin carb and having fuel delivery issues? i/e running dry, and are needing to run a fuel pump to make up for it?

kiesta00
02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the bowl is running dry, it pulls good 1-3rd gear, then in 4th the bike just falls on its face, and I'm not shifting too early b/c other people have ridden the bike also.

86 quad r, what do u have in mind?

86 Quad R
02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
was your carb previously setup for alkee?

if you havent already...... there are a few things that you can do to solve the problem that your having.

1. mod the petcock
2. run larger hose aswell as larger inline filter for more volume.
3. mod the inlet dia. at the carb.
4. make a couple changes to the brass needle seat so the fuel enters the bowk area in other places rather than just going past the needle itself. (making this mod will aid in helping the Keihin carb be better suited for a fuel pump)
5. run an extended volume bowl.
6. run a power jet in conjunction with all the above.