PDA

View Full Version : Problems????

Sisco53
02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
any major problems that would stop sum1 from buyin a new ds???

Punk'd
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Zero on my part.

Sisco53
02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
k thanks preciate it im debatin between the black ds and a kawi

bwamos
02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
From what I've seen and heard, you'll have a great quad either way. ;)

Spaceace
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
From what I've seen and heard, you'll have a great quad either way. ;)

I haven't heard good things about the KFX450.

I was just reading the November 2007 issue of Dirt Wheels. They have a long term Project KFX450... They said

"When we first tested the KFX450 in the June issue, we said how great it was as a stand alone machine. However when we pitted it against the other 450's out there, we discovered it wasn't as good as we thought. A few complaints in the first test as well as a few concerns since..."

They go on to list

Rock hard seat
Extreme handlebar vibration
Flimsy / Multiple broken heel guards
Traction issues / poor tires & poor gearing
Cheap / broken swingarm guard

They basically said that in order to make there KFX450 equal to the other 450's in stock form they needed to buy

New seat, handlebar inserts, new handlegrips, upgraded heel guards, new tires, new sprockets, a chain and rotor guard on the swingarm.

bwamos
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Spaceace
I haven't heard good things about the KFX450.

I was just reading the November 2007 issue of Dirt Wheels. They have a long term Project KFX450... They said

They basically said that in order to make there KFX450 equal to the other 450's in stock form they needed to buy

New seat, handlebar inserts, new handlegrips, upgraded heel guards, new tires, new sprockets, a chain and rotor guard on the swingarm.

#1 I trust dirtwheels about as much as I trust the greenpeace organization for unbiased information. ;)

Even if everything they said was true.... all of the needed parts are standard replacements on "any" race or agressive riding quad, minus the seat. When racing, how often do you "sit" on your seat? Your either leaning a leg over, standing, or squatting. Only time you're sitting is when you may be waiting for a gate, hitting a long straight, or refueling in the pits.

Spaceace
02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
#1 I trust dirtwheels about as much as I trust the greenpeace organization for unbiased information. ;)

Even if everything they said was true.... all of the needed parts are standard replacements on "any" race or agressive riding quad, minus the seat. When racing, how often do you "sit" on your seat? Your either leaning a leg over, standing, or squatting. Only time you're sitting is when you may be waiting for a gate, hitting a long straight, or refueling in the pits.

I would agree with you except...
The handlebar inserts are not a standard item needed on "any" race or agressive riding quad.

AND

I would add a caviat to the "any" race or agressive riding quad

The exception is the "black DS" (DS 450 X) that the poster is comparing to the Kawi.

The DS 450 X has a nice comfortable seat, Has aluminum skid plates stock, has really good tires stock, is geared well and won't need new sprockets for most people, doesn't have a problem with vibration in the handlebars... The only thing that I can't say for sure is the heel guards because I haven't done enough aggressive riding yet to know if thay are unusually prone to breaking. ( I will probably replace mine w/ aluminim before I find out anyway just cuz I like the looks)

Sisco53
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
well just left the can am dealer and they told me 8800 after taxes for the ds450x and i went to kawi and i got a buddy that said he would give it to me for 7 so i figure the 1800 extra id have in the ds i could have a kawi with the ecu seat exhaust etc...and be a decent machine and its gonna get a-arms shocks and stuff neway so i just dont c spendin that kinda money on sumtin im gonna have to put more in

Spaceace
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Sisco53
well just left the can am dealer and they told me 8800 after taxes for the ds450x and i went to kawi and i got a buddy that said he would give it to me for 7 so i figure the 1800 extra id have in the ds i could have a kawi with the ecu seat exhaust etc...and be a decent machine and its gonna get a-arms shocks and stuff neway so i just dont c spendin that kinda money on sumtin im gonna have to put more in

$8800 :eek: I would shop around a little more, unless you are just a fan of the Kawi. Me and a few other guys I know around that just bought DS450X pare paying around 8000 otd @ 5% sales tax. I got mine for $7900.

At that price you would only be saving 900 by getting the Kawi but you would get alum skids, nerf bars, racing bumper, upgraded suspension... if you got the DS450X which is more that $900 in add ons.

Unless of course you just have a personal preference for the Kawi. I hear that all the 450's are really close in the end. I'm sure that anyone who buys the KFX450 will be happy in the end especially after they mod it and make it their own.

Sisco53
02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
its 8% sales tax here in northwest arkansas and im leary bout 1st year bikes kawis been out a couple years now so i figure ill give can am a lil while to work out he kinks if there is ne but well c

bwamos
02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Sisco53
its 8% sales tax here in northwest arkansas and im leary bout 1st year bikes kawis been out a couple years now so i figure ill give can am a lil while to work out he kinks if there is ne but well c

Just a FYI, the Kawi has been on the showroom floors not quite a year yet. Our first member to get one I beleive was firefighterjosh and he was posted as having it the first week of March 2007.

The Suzuki on the other hand has been out a couple of years.

ThePhantomRider
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
The only problem I can speak of right now is that I lack the funds to purchase one right now...LOL

TPR

LTR450_#67
02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Haha TPR, for as much as you know and are excited about this machine I figured you'd have at least 1 or 2!!! LOL

Sisco53
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
pickin up the 450x tuesday

ThePhantomRider
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh it's killing me....but I got to start up this new business so I can not only support my wife and little boy but be able to afford to buy new shiny toys....:D

I mean, as long as I have known about this thing it's double torture. I've gotten some seat time on one and that just made it worse for me.....

TPR