PDA

View Full Version : 400ex valve timing

F-16Guy
11-18-2002, 05:43 PM
First of all, this is my first ever post, so correct me if my etiquette is wrong. I'm about to assemble my motor (Wiseco 87mm-11:1, Hotcams Stage 1). I'm aware of Wiseco's inaccuracy concerning their CR's. If I leave out the base gasket in order to obtain the desired CR (I still need to do the math, but shooting for as close to 11:1 as possible without any machine work), will it noticeably affect the valve timing? If so, does anyone offer an adjustable cam gear? BTW, "Have you had your cylinder decked?" had some awsome info, just not a specific answer on this subject.

RytM1
11-18-2002, 06:01 PM
F-16, welcome to the site. I'm not sure that you would want to leave any gaskets out. Some shops will include a head gasket from an XR, which is thinner than the stock EX, in their piston kits. As far as decking goes, if you go to the top of the screen, and click on the "search" button, and do a search for "decking", I'm sure you will get quite a bit of info.

F-16Guy
11-18-2002, 07:18 PM
RytM1,
Using a thinner base gasket or head gasket could be a possible solution. According to some, though, obtaining the correct deck height and squish area (or close to it), can be acheived by substituting the base gasket for a liquid type, such as Honda Bond. In any case, the resulting change in the distance between the cylinder and the case changes the relationship between the cam gear and the crank gear, thus altering valve timing. I was wondering, has anyone done this and noticed any detrimental effects in performance?

F-16Guy
11-18-2002, 07:23 PM
BTW, thanks for the welcome. This is a great site, I visit it a lot, but just recently registered so I could get some help from all of you knowlegeable people (and hopefully provide some help from time to time, too).
Thanks again.