PDA

View Full Version : rebuild tips

rigger
02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
My brother in law is getting an older blown up 400ex really cheap and wants me to help him build it back up. We are going to try and keep it as inexspensive as possible due to lack of funds to be able to dedicate to his new 400 project. I have not seen it in person yet but from the sounds of it, and the description of what was left of the stock piston, it sounds like it was run lean and burned a hole in the top of the piston. Somebody else has already done a valve job on the head, from what we have been told, and it sounds like it may just need a piston and bore job. I will have to see for sure once I see it in person and get all the parts. Right now the top end is off of it.

"If" all it needs is a piston and bore, would going to a 416 work well with stock cams and valves? I am guessing not much of a price difference to go to a 416. Or will it need other up-grades to handle the 416 kit? Also, how much stronger does just a 416 piston make?

And just in case you are wondering, yes we will find out why it blew up so it does not happen again.

Just looking for thoughts and suggestions. We want to build it right but keep cost as low as possible.

drew416ex
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
a 416 would be good. It will have no problems working with the stock components. U wont notice the power as much from the bore size as you will the compression so it depends which compression you get.