PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Polished Engine

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
hey everyone, i just want to know what all of you think of my engine... i think shes getting to look pretty nice

hondarider101
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
thatlooks good!! is mine next?? lol

nickmelll
02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
wow :eek2: how did you do that i want to do mine but i cant get in to the tigh spots

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
thanks guys. nickmelll check out the how tos and there is a thread dedicated to polishing aluminum, if you can do this, its a lot cheaper than to have some one do it for ya. its probably 500 to get it done, and i spent about 25 on material, and about 20 hours of hand work, i dont have a dremel either, thats all by hand,

nickmelll
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
you should sell that ive seen polished motors go for soo much on ebay....... ive used a drill before just put like a 1/4" drill bit in it and rap some steel wool around it and it works pretty good but you cant get in tight spots

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by nickmelll
you should sell that ive seen polished motors go for soo much on ebay....... ive used a drill before just put like a 1/4" drill bit in it and rap some steel wool around it and it works pretty good but you cant get in tight spots

haha. i got to get it fixed first. its blown up:( and i am waiting on parts, and a lil cash before i can get it fixed, and money sucks cause its hard for me to get a hold of it cause im only 14. haha

REDRIDDER
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey everyone, i just want to know what all of you think of my engine... i think shes getting to look pretty nice sweet its just to bad the polish job doesnt last to long lol....unless its a show quad.

BlaineKaiser450
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
that looks sooooo sick :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
sweet its just to bad the polish job doesnt last to long lol....unless its a show quad.

no shes not a show roller, i have had some parts polished and it seems to hold up quite well. plus i keep great care of my quad.

NacsMXer
02-19-2008, 05:44 PM
That looks sweet nice job. Looks like a lot of upkeep too, might want to invest in some zoopseal.

450raider
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
niccee....dont forget to post pics once its back in!

derekhonda
02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn, a completely polished engine...thats a lot of work. I'll just tell you from experience, its awesome to see it completely done. And you'll stay ontop of keeping it polished up to a mirror for about 5 rides. Then you'll be lucky to polish it once a year, its just too much work to go get it dirty again next weekend.

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
derek. thats some good polish work that you did, i have rode my quad with polished cases for a while, and it keeps up pretty well believe it or not, and i do polish it every once in a while,

i wish i got get some zoop seal, but its so expensive, i think im just gonna wax it, and see how that works out,

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 08:18 PM
and the frame will be sprayed here soon with some black base coat, then i will clear it, and put it back together, and then finally i will get pics of it sitting in the frame.

pro-rider46
02-19-2008, 08:19 PM
heres my pipe. sorry its a lil blurry.

ps. im probably going to have pappy powdercoat my Water pump cover, my thermostat cover, my valve cover, my clutch cover, and my oil filter cover, all candy blue. i think it will look sweet

nick249420
02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
clear powder coat that polished stuff..you wont ever polish it again

pro-rider46
02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by nick249420

that supposedly dulls the shine, or else i would love to do that

Mxjunkie
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by nick249420

You can't clear coat a motor due to the heat for two reasons.. The Clear coat will either turn to a tan color or it will become weak and bubble causing it to flake off. Another reason is, you'll just trapt in unwanted heat in the motor instead of letting it out to its full potential. Also yes it's true that it will make it very dull looking compared to bare polishing aluminum.. Invest in Zoop seal! :chinese:

Motor looks great by the way! :macho

pro-rider46
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie

Motor looks great by the way! :macho

thanks, for the compliment, and for teaching me "how-to" do it. lol

and thanks to everyone who complimented

54warrior
02-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Nice hardwood floor

wilkin250r
02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i think im just gonna wax it, and see how that works out,

Not a good idea. Wax is fine for your bumper, shifter, and external parts. But high heat (like your engine or pipe) will cause the wax to yellow and dull, it really looks like crap.

I did search a while ago about a polish specifically made for high-heat applications that contained a special protectant that didn't yellow with heat. I can't remember where I saw it, but if you're going to spend hours polishing your engine, why not spend a few minutes surfing the net to help keep it looking shiny.

pro-rider46
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Not a good idea. Wax is fine for your bumper, shifter, and external parts. But high heat (like your engine or pipe) will cause the wax to yellow and dull, it really looks like crap.

I did search a while ago about a polish specifically made for high-heat applications that contained a special protectant that didn't yellow with heat. I can't remember where I saw it, but if you're going to spend hours polishing your engine, why not spend a few minutes surfing the net to help keep it looking shiny.

thanks for the advice, ill go check that out, i might as well for as much work i put into it.

pro-rider46
02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Nice hardwood floor

thanks, we just got it not to long ago. my mom really wanted it, and we werent too sure about it, but it turned out really nice.