PDA

View Full Version : ? about elkas

y3llow400ex
02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
next month im going to drop about 4g's into my 06 450r. right now quad wise the only thing that is slowing me down is my suspenision so im going to do a long travel front end. im going to go with houser slicast max ground clearence arms and elka shocks all the way around. my question is about the front shocks. im no suspension expert so i had questions on the front shocks. what all adjustment do i really need. the ones im looking at say quaddruple rate, piggy back preload and compression adjustment. i know the more adjustments the better but what are the bare essentials?

ohsobad_chevy
02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
The shocks you are looking at are the sport/racing series. The Elites, will have all of what you mentioned but they will have a hi / low speed adjustments as well as adjustable rebound.

What kind of riding do you do?

ALAMX37
02-19-2008, 03:58 PM
For anything up to A or better really only needs compression and preload adjustable fronts. The high and low speed is nice but for the money really isn't worth it unless you are really fast. They also have adjustable crossovers which make more difference than any adjustment. Quad rate may be a little overkill for XC, most riders opt for double rate or triple at most for the woods. The quad rate is really to cover up lack of precicion in the valving.

y3llow400ex
02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
i ride xc. thanks for the info so far. heres a link to the shocks part number 99-2234
http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/eshopprod_cat_3474-6190-31501_product_419734.ELKA_SUSPENSION_FOR_SPORT_ATV S.htm

ALAMX37
02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
My bad ya that would be a good shock but I believe the TCS is a better unit for a little lower price.

04TRX400EX
02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah unless you are getting a heck of a deal from Elka, quad rate Elites are a little overkill for XC. I would suggest sticking with the Houser Slicasts but look into the Sports/Racing fronts, triple rate, with adjustable preload and compression. If you feel that you may one day want more adjustability, spring for the adjustable rebound as well but the Hi/Low-speed compression adjuster on the Elite models is not necessary.

If you are doing an Elka rear, do the same thing but you will automatically get preload, compression, and rebound which you will definitely want. Again, Hi/Low-speed not really necessary.