PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket header and slip on exhaust?

Bolinracing
02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok, I have a question. I know with a stock head pipe, you can just order a slip on aftermarket silencer. Or you can buy a complete system with a head pipe and silencer. Now a year or two ago, I got an exhaust off a buddy's 400 and put on mine. I did not notice though, the length of the headpipe, which brings me to my question. Can I buy a HMF, FMF, or other slip on silencer and have it fit my header? My silencer got trashed and so I need a new one. Also, I have heard mixed opinions of the FMF Power bomb header. I know where I can get one cheap. Same question applies. If I got it, would I have to run a FMF silencer or will any slip on match up? Thanks.

oleboy87
02-19-2008, 05:28 PM
i have the hmf s/o and the power bomb combo and i like it... but yea any slipon with mount up to the power bomb because it is the same size as the stocker so it will work.. if you can get one for cheap i would sugest you get it!

greenblood01
02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
I have the powerbomb header with an LRD silencer, and the combo works great for me. The powerbomb has to help more than it hurts.

Bolinracing
02-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys. I think my header is a white brothers. Atleast that is what silencer was on it. Would this accept slip ons also? Also, what slip on would you guys recommend for a 440 race motor with my header for peak power and keep the db's down for Nationals. Thanks.

greenblood01
02-20-2008, 08:26 AM
It would be hard to know if another manufacture's slip on muffler would fit onto your White Brothers header, unless someone had actually tried it to see. If you still have your stock silencer you could try it and see.

As for what brand of slip on to run, I perfer FMF, LRD, or Big Gun. Fmf has been in the industry for decades and knows a thing or two about making quality exhaust. Most people are going to tell you to buy what they have, but that doesn't mean its the best. Its hard to go wrong with any of the top companies such as FMF, LRD, Big gun, Yoshimura, Pro Circuit, etc.

Ruby Soho
02-20-2008, 08:28 AM
the curtis sparks x-6 is the best exhaust you can get for a 440 race motor, but it is expensive.

Bolinracing
02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
For a full system I don't think the Sparks is that expensive. And that is what I would get if I was buying a full system. However, all I need is the silencer since I already have a header. Thanks for all the help. I will check back later to see if anyone else has any input.