PDA

View Full Version : 06 Pred 90 help

wolfpack13
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I have an 06 predator 90 for my daughter that has ran great for the past year. We parked it last November and drained the fuel from the carb. For Christmas I bought my daughter a uni, so we removed the air box and installed the filter. The bike started fine and seemed to be running good (maybe a tad lean). Yesterday we went to go riding and check out how it ran with the new set up and it would stall out with anything over mid throttle and die. I had just charged the battery and it was dead also. I took it back to the truck to change the plug. Still acting the same, I removed the carb and cleaned it thinking that a jet was plugged. I then put it all back together, fired right up then started backfiring (gun blast type) at idle, inconsistanly. I checked it over making sure I got everything tight and there was no vacuum leaks. Tried to start it again and it won't start.

What would cause this type of back fire?

Also what would be a go jetting starting point since I added the Uni, and I'm getting ready to remove the oil injection.

markvette
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
adding a uni or k&n to a stock carb is a jetting nightmare, not really worth the hassle but if you must have one try about a 110 to a 120 main and keep some different sizes with you. every time the weather changes you will need to rejet. the stock carb needs a strong air signal, when you put the uni on it you loose that. good luck and have fun. oh and the systems you describe is a uni on a stock carb not jetted right. it will idle but wont take the gas.

Mark

wolfpack13
02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I went with the uni because the stock air box was a pain to clean. thought the uni would be better. What size pilot would you suggest?

dericsdad
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
did the same thing on our '06 stock quad. we ended up with a 120 main, with the needle raised up all the way, didn't have to change the needle. . we also put in the boyseen reeds. try the main jet change first. when starting it in cooler weather, you may have to hold your hand firmly over the air filter to richen the fuel mixture more to get it to start. be sure to run an outerwear on the filter also!

wolfpack13
02-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks... I'll try the main change after i get the pilot figured out.... Can't get it to start now tried covering the filter with a baggie to fetten it up. I have the outerwears on it already.

wolfpack13
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I just wanted to update this problem. I got the jetting tuned and runs like a champ. Don't remember the pilot but moved the clip down one on the needle and ended up with a 110 main. the backfire ended up being an issue with the throttle cable binding up and causing a diff in the slide and thumb posistion.

Thanks for those who offered help.