PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks squeak like crazy

gel1197
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
The front shocks (at least I think it's the shocks) sqeuak like mad on my son's 03' trx250ex and I have tried all types of spray lubes and grease. Any ideas? Is this a common thing or ?

300exOH
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by gel1197
The front shocks (at least I think it's the shocks) sqeuak like mad on my son's 03' trx250ex and I have tried all types of spray lubes and grease. Any ideas? Is this a common thing or ?

It is very common... You most likely need to remove the shocks and grease the upper and lower shock bushings. Just spraying something in there usually isn't enough. Make sure you use a good waterproof grease (marine grade). You might want to grease your a arm bushings as well since they could be causing the squeak as well.

RideRed84
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
It's most likely your a-arm bushings. I have the exact same problem and I'm just too lazy at this point to tear apart the front end just to grease it. I just live with the noise, you really don't notice it when your really riding hard and have a helmet on. If your on a leasure cruise it's a different story and can drive you nuts. I'll get to it before I go on a trail ride with my girlfriend that's for sure.

250excrf250r
02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
put a slip on exhaust just to drown out the sound and a jet kit. you also will get some more speed. or you could grease it

gel1197
02-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. It is kind of nice knowing where your son is because you can hear him squeaking all thru the woods!

exrider12
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
true:D

or just buy him an exhaust and u can hear from further away:blah:

250excrf250r
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
yea depending on his age if you get a full exhaust you could hear him alll through the trail

ex rider12 is righjt

gel1197
05-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, I finally fixed the squeeking. The front shocks have a black plastic dust boot on the top to keep mud and other crud out. The shock shafts were what was squeeking so I cut the bottom inch off the dust covers (with a razor knife) to expose the shaft. I used some good old 3 in 1 oil and applied it right to the shaft where it slides into the cylinder. Jumped up and down on the front bumper for a couple of minutes and no squeeking.

Don't flame me for exposing the shaft and seals. I know I will have to wash the shocks with a little more care but my son really hated that noise.