PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat header pipe?

mcwilly
02-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I've been lurking and reading around quite a bit. I've seen where lots of guys have polished their header pipes to a chrome-like finish. Have any of you guys PC'd the header pipes?
I'm new to the atv world, but I've been part of the Harley crowd for a few years and seen several bikes w/ the pipes PC'd. I've even seen where some guys have used barbeque grill spray paint on them w/ pretty good results.
I'm hoping to get my bike (400ex obviously) next week. We'll see. I've been thinking of what I want to do w/ it as far as "mods" go and PC'ing the pipes was one of them. So, anybody done it?

chris46250r
02-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I dont know about PCing a headpipe. Seems like it would melt it off. You can get ceramic coating in colors now. That may have been what you saw and thought it was PC. The BBQ paint works good if you clean and prep well and put it on in several light coats.

zrpilot
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
There is a ceramic coating that could be used:

try this (http://www.swaintech.com/)

mcwilly
02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
There is a ceramic coating that could be used:

try this (http://www.swaintech.com/)

Interesting. Thanks for the link.
Hell, it may be ceramic coating then that I saw.

I dont know about PCing a headpipe. Seems like it would melt it off.
But isnt PC baked on? I guess the baking/curing heat is nowhere near the temps it would reach on the pipe itself in use?

Honda#4
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Ceramic coating would work but idk about PC, PC flows out around 375-400 degrees and idk about everyone but I took a temp of my header once and it gets to around 500 degrees so really the PC would melt right off.

Pappy
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
High temp pc will work depending on the material used to make the exhaust. The bad parts about pc (high temp) is that when it is heated by the normal running of the engine, anything that hits the pipe will effect the coating. we have had good luck using high temp pc on certain exhausts while it hasnt done well on others.

Ceramic is an option, but its over priced for the negligiable effects it has on such a short ehaust. (I have already gone round and round with the largest ceramic coating facility in this country and they agree)

The BBQ paint as suggested is cheap, works well and can be redone at anytime without spending $100 for the headpipe.

fastredrider44
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I used high heat powdercoat on my old pipe. It was great until I got the pipe muddy. Then when I was washing the baked on mud off, the powdercoat started looking worse and worse with each washing. I've never had any decent luck with the BBQ paint. I think the route to go would be the ceramic coating.