PDA

View Full Version : 400ex siezed up axle bolt

dezertboyjd
02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
hey everyone just started my tear down on my 400 to rebuild everything and the axle bolt it locked in the frame. i guess this is what i get for buying a used quad again! owell.. but i need to know the trick to gettin this sucker out. it wont budge at all.

im buying a new bolt and putting the zerk fittings on it once i get this out. any help would be appreciated!

Pappy
02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
get some PBBlaster and hose it down and let it sit

you cn try an air hammer, hammer and blunt punch and even search for the right combination of curse words.....

if all the above fails, cutting it out will be the last resort. i use a sawzall and cut between the frame and swing arm. even with cutting this, you still may find the pivot bolt is seized in the engine as well. worse case you will destroy the swing arm if it is frozen bad enough (been there done that many many times) good thing stock 400 swing arms are dirt cheap

TRXRacer1
02-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Are you able to turn it? Usually if you can turn it then you can free it from the engine.

Pappy
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Are you able to turn it? Usually if you can turn it then you can free it from the engine.

This is not what I have found to be the rule, once the sleeves and collars corrode to the pivot bolt, it can spin forever and not come out:( All of this is caused by dissimiliar metals being used together. they literally weld themselves together

TRXRacer1
02-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
This is not what I have found to be the rule, once the sleeves and collars corrode to the pivot bolt, it can spin forever and not come out:( All of this is caused by dissimiliar metals being used together. they literally weld themselves together I agree, I'm just talking about the engine. Turning it won't help with all the other parts. So if you do get to the point of cutting do your best to turn it first to make getting that section out of the case halves easier.

Pappy
02-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I agree, I'm just talking about the engine. Turning it won't help with all the other parts.

agreed

i had one here a little while back that actually had corroded easily an 1/8 inch into the pivot bolt (the outer collar) even when we got it out, we could not get them apart and it was only when a small portion of the collar broke off did we see just how deep the corrosion had penetrated.

we have also seen brand new 400ex's with seized bolts, all from the dealer washing the machine and it sitting in the showroom. atleast once a month someone backs in here and unloadeds a 400 with a frozen bolt.....usually sending everyone here running as noone likes doing them:p

lawdog800
02-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I had to drill mine out..start with a small bit and work up...ALSO MAKE SURE YOU STAY STRAIGHT....... I believe I worked up to1/2 or 1 size bigger, then I had it thin enough where I was able to break it some, ground off the bolt head or grind lines and break off with chisel......We then had to take all the en gine bolts out and move the engine around and got the broken pieces to slide out of the bearings........My new bolt is going to pappy for Molycoating.....

dezertboyjd
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
wow this sucks! all i want to do is hit the track and ride. hmm.. guess im gonna have to beat and cut the hell out of it! glad i only have basic tools..gonna back this job so easy not!!

i appreciate all the help..im determined ill get it out!

AutoRoc
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I just did this...

unbolt rear shock
raise the rear of the bike and let the swingarm down
Cut visible part of bolt with 3" cut off wheel
slide engine over a little
cut other side of the bolt with sawzall
CUT OFF the bolt head
tap the pieces inward, they would not come OUT, only go in

The bolt was BENT big time and rusted inside the bearing races. 15lb sledge couldn't budge it, even after we got it spinning.

Pressed broken pieces out of the races, cleaned them up and reused them with a new bolt. Covered with anti-sieze.

Goodluck!

REPOMAN
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
so after this thread was started i went ahead yesterday and took my bolt out drilled holes in it and added a grease zerk on both sides. hope it never have this problem. good luck and let us know how it all ends

beaker1214
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
I had friend spin the bolt with an impact wrench while I hit the bolt with a hammer and we got it out eventually but I discovered even if it just budges an inch or so hit it from the other direction and work it back n forth and it will come out.... after that I greased here down well and it comes out easy.... but now since I said that when it comes time to take the motor out which is tonight it prolly will cause me headaches.

hornetgod13
02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Last month I decided to swap out my 06' swingarm bolt before it got too bad and I nearly waited too long. It took a large hammer and punch, soaking it in break free, cursing, and finally an air hammer to free mine up. I was fortunate not to have to cut it out but, if I had waited much longer, I'm sure I would have. I antisiezed the heck out of the new bolt as well as installed new bearing seals and spacers. I think I'll end up pulling it once a year to be on the safe side from now on.

beaker1214
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Not to steal the thread any one know off hand what size the head is on the swing arm bolt is.... I tried a 17mm (too smalle) and a 18mm is too big, theres nothing in between so im lost....

hornetgod13
02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I used a 17mm 6 sided socket if I remember correctly.

beaker1214
02-21-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah I ended up hammering the socket onto the head and well didnt accomplish much its stuck...... I guess Im going to get an air chisel and try that approach..

mbx5
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I had to waste my frame! I plasma cut the mounts out, and cut the bolt close to the engine on both sides. I then pushed it out w/ a 20 ton press - and it almost didnt do it. BTW I did soak in PB blaster, heated it, etc...no such luck.

What a crapass design.:mad: :mad:

TripleR400
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
not to get off subject but how would you go about pventing this bolt from getting seized?

hornetgod13
02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by TripleR400
not to get off subject but how would you go about pventing this bolt from getting seized?

There are several options to help prevent/reduce it from happening to your 400EX.

1. Remove and replace the bolt and antisieze the entire new bolt on installation and remove it on a regular interval.
2. Several people make a custom bolts with grease fittings
3. Install a Molycoated bolt.
4. Lonestar makes a heavy duty bolt made of hardened steel and Zinc plated to prevent corrosion.
5. Install a stainless steel bolt.

The longer you wait, the harder it will be to remove the original bolt. The dissimilar uncoated metals are a heaven for corrosion. A very piss poor design if you ask me.

dezertboyjd
02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
this isnt looking pretty! tried every means of pounding possible from sledge to air hammer and it wont budge. looks like next is cutting and drilling?? its not making me to happy. lets just say when I get it replaced its coming out like once a month just to make sure I dont run into this problem again.

440challenger
02-22-2008, 05:14 AM
I heated the inside of the bolt with an acetlyn torch until it was cherry red hot, then use an air chisel with a long punch attachment. Took a while heating it up moving from side to side shooting the flame inside the small hole ,but its a much easier way then cutting it out if you can get it out in one shot.

Most of the time, if that bolts frozen, and your front swing arm bearings are badly worn, your swing arm is probably broken also. They always break when the bearings go bad and the swing arm walks side to side cracking the collar which you dust caps pushonto.

dezertboyjd
04-28-2008, 02:03 AM
the bolt is still siezed. we destroyed 4 sawzaw blades, beat the hell out of it, etc.
going to try a die grinder tomorrow. may also try heating it up. this is probably one of the stupidest thing honda has ever done.

hopefully it comes out without having to cut the frame apart.

maclavin
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
I heated the inside of the bolt with an acetlyn torch until it was cherry red hot, then use an air chisel with a long punch attachment. Took a while heating it up moving from side to side shooting the flame inside the small hole ,but its a much easier way then cutting it out if you can get it out in one shot.

Most of the time, if that bolts frozen, and your front swing arm bearings are badly worn, your swing arm is probably broken also. They always break when the bearings go bad and the swing arm walks side to side cracking the collar which you dust caps pushonto.

Thats how I got mine out after it was in for eight years. I think heating and cooling the bolt made the difference. That and an ultra duty, long stroke Snap-On air hammer.

atvhonda-rider
04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
i've had the same probnlem as all of you, i recently rebuilt and it spun and did everything but come out, i tried a punch and 12lb sledge, drilling and cutting head off... i finally got it out by takinga dye grinder and cutting it out, as pappy said the corrosion virtually welds it together.. good luck with it and as the guys said, go anti-seize and other options are out there.. if you wanna spend big bucks i'd get the $75 stainless steel with grease zerk.. -Wes

2001400ex
04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't think I am even going to bother on this one! I am going to call the Honda dealer tomorrow and will GLADLY pay them to replace it...if they are even up to the task! I will do everything else on the quad but after reading about how much of a PITA this is; no thanks!

BigBore24
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
i dont know if you have access to a cutting torch but thats how i got mine out. didnt even mess up the frame or the motor. i cut the sleeves on each side of the motor then once i got the motor out of the way the rest is much easier

400ex28
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
When we first took the engine out of my ex we luckly got it out with a 12lb sledge. I would hate to have to cut it out :scary:

elmer91
05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
i have a suggestion. i know the bolt seizing is a common problem with the 400. how about someone who has experience with this create a sticky about options for removal. just an idea.

2001400ex
05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
i have a suggestion. i know the bolt seizing is a common problem with the 400. how about someone who has experience with this create a sticky about options for removal. just an idea.

Great idea.

Too bad this forum does not have a reputation system as well, I would +rep whoever would make a how-to.