PDA

View Full Version : axle swapping

71_400TRX
02-18-2008, 09:23 PM
i just ordered my G-Force racing axle and i was wondering how you install it incase no instructions come, ive never done an axle swap but it sounds like something that could cause damage if done wrong lol. if anyone has any pictures or just a detailed write up on how to change axles that would help alot, all of this is for a 2005 TRX450R. thanks

02-19-2008, 07:59 AM
If you don't already have them order the G-Force wrenches. They make it a lot easier. First thing you do it Break loose the axle jamb nut and spin it most of the way back. You want to do this first because you need the brakes to hold the axle still. Then loosen the collar itself until you can see the ring that is underneath it. The axle nut is standard right hand threads. Now loosen the pinch bolts on the carrier so you can slide the chain off of the rear sprocket. Now remove the rear caliper, wheels and hubs. Next pick the ring out of the groove in the axle and slide it off the axle. You should be able to pull the axle out from the left side.

If I were you I would also install new carrier bearings and seals while I had it a part. I do mine every year. I would bet a weeks pay they are SHOT!

From here you need a set of snap ring pliers to remove the large snap ring that holds on the rear brake stay. Once the snap ring is off the brake stay should pop off. It isstubborn sometimes. You have to pry it/wiggle it off. Now the carrier should slide out of the same side as the axle did.

Next is to remove the seals and pound out the old bearings. Use a long, larger flat bladed screwdriver to pry the seals out. A punch or a long 1/2 drive extension will work for the bearings. The first one is tricky because of the collar in between the bearings. The chain side has 2 bearings. It's easier to bang out the single right side first. I use 2 4X4 pieces of wood about 12" long to support the carrier. The collar in the center is going to be in the way until you get the first one most of the way out. You have to cock the punch/extension on an angle as to push the collar over slightly. At first you will just be catching the edge of the inner race of the bearing and the tool will keep slipping off. Don't get discouraged, it will come out. After the first one comes out the collar will fall out The other side is a breeze. I always put the new bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours so they contract and are easier to install. Some people put the carrier in the oven to make it expand also. I don't do that. Now clean everything up. Coat the whole inside of the collar with anti seize. You can bang it just with a hammer until it is below the lip. Then bang it in the rest of the way using the round side of the 1/2" drive extension, staying along the outer edge/race. DO NOT bang on the inner race. Move the extension from side to side evenly banging it down until it hits bottom. You will hear a solid ting when it's all the way down. Flip it over and put in the collar next. Now bang in the other 2 bearings. Next is to push the seals in. Try not to bang to hard on the seals. You should be able to push them in by hand. A little WD40 on everything will help it slide together.

Now slide the carrier in and install the new axle. Its' easy. Good Luck!!